The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Golfito Mini Port Tour

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Islands from A to Z
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Golfito Mini Port Tour Reply with quote

Golfito Mini Port Tour

I realize many of you are thinking “Where the H is Golfito”? Why it is on the Pacific side of Costa Rica twenty miles from Panama. Everybody knows that. When Windjammer decided to do trips to the Galapagos Islands from Ecuador I signed up. As things would have it WBCs did not get the permit required and made me a deal for a week on the AG in Costa Rica and Panama and then a week on the Mandalay in the San Blas islands. It was a blessing for me and a very interesting two weeks. Most of the places we visited that first week were deserted except for two, Golfito being the only town.

We anchored out in the harbor and came in by launch. When we were almost to shore a huge dolphin popped up right alongside the boat. It was a startling experience but in a good way. I could have put my hand on its back but at first I had no idea what it was.

United Fruit Company and bananas basically made Golfito in the 1930s. After fifty years in 1985 labor unrest, banana disease and lower export profits caused the company to abruptly pull out leaving almost the entire town unemployed.

To assist in the recovery of the area the government recently made it a Free Trade Zone. Naval ships of many nations make calls here. To all but the most naïve observer it has been a free trade zone for some young ladies of questionable motive for some time.

Golfito has one of the highest rain averages on earth. The surrounding area is lush with vegetation. Fishing is excellent and is starting to make Golfito a Mecca for the sport.

Golfito is basically a one street town with a side street and a road out. I walked from one end to the other and you can see what it is from the pictures I took. It is actually a neat and quiet kind of place with bars and hookers (just looking) and a young sailors dream. For an old sailor like me it was just picturesque although I did drink a beer or two.

Tim
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more
Tim
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more
Tim
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more
Tim
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more
Tim
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more
Tim
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more
voyager
Navigator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim,

You are certainly right about the ladies at the local pubs. I wound up in other places, but definitely remember the town.

Several of our fellow travelers on the Grace went deep sea fishing; rather pricey until you balance that with the catch. They came back with 1300# of tuna. The cook on the Grace grilled fresh tuna steaks over an inch thick to order for the entire complement on board and froze the rest. Delicious.

Fred

7500 sunrises yet to go make every last one of them count!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Islands from A to Z All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: