The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

St. Croix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Islands from A to Z
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaydee
Privateer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: St. Croix Reply with quote

Wow Tim, I haven't been on here for quite a while. You've been very busy. Palmer & I are going to St. Croix in November. Do you have any info from there? Judy
Privateer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Judy

I have not been to St Croix yet. I thought I was going there in November and did some research and picture gathering but my lecture gig fell through.

Years ago most cruise ships stopped calling there due to a high crime rate. Recently ships started returning as the local government has worked diligently to improve conditions and improve the port area.

I have some information on my laptop and will try to get it to you.

Currently I am working on Portobello and the San Blas Islands. Portobello should be up in a day or two.

Tim

Jaydee
Privateer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: St. Croix Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I'm sure all your hard work is greatly appreciated by many of us!!!!

Looking forward to getting some info on St. Croix. As busy as you are I hope you get time to forward it!

Too bad your lecture gig got canceled; maybe we'd have been able to connect! It would have been fun!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife & I visited St Croix about 7 years ago for a week and stayed at the Divi Carina. Our son spent the summer on the island doing marine research. We never felt threatened on the island, however we were careful about our surroundings. I bet we drove a couple hundred miles in the jeep we rented. We did everything from watching turtles lay eggs to the beer drinking pig! Really enjoyed the Cruzan Rum distillery tour. If I hadn’t been driving a left hand drive jeep on the left hand side of the road I would have for sure drank way too much rum after the tour (included in the price of admission is a free tasting afterwards). The officials back then were trying hard to “clean up” the island. Most of the crime seemed to be petty, mostly between the island people themselves. However according to our son there was a problem with break-ins at island homes especially the ones thieves thought were unoccupied. A lot of what I would consider vacation homes seemed to have high security walls around them. Would I go back, you bet ya. If I had the $’s I would even consider purchasing a home there. The advantage to the US Virgin Islands they are under all US laws so property purchases are protected just like in the US.

RedRover1
Jaydee
Privateer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: St. Croix Reply with quote

Thanks for the info RedRover1! The reason we are going is that we've been to nearly every other Caribbean Island and we have friends who have been going to St. Croix for 15 years and they just love it. So we thought we'd try it. Thanks again! Judy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaydee,

If they don't mind sharing there "secrets" where do they stay. We enjoyed the Divi but if we go back we would like to try someplace different just for the change.

RedRover1
Richieg1g
Wild Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago, I spent a day on St. Croix. We flew over from Puerto Rico in the early am, rented mopeds for the day and cruised around the island. The high point of the day was lunch at the beach restaurant at the Buccaneer Resort. The tropical birds were everywhere and would almost eat bread from your hand. We almost missed the plane back to San Juan in the evening since they announced the flights in Spanish only.

Old cars, fast women, good times
Got the first two, still working on the third.
calsailor
Privateer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Long ago visit Reply with quote

A very long time ago, I spent a couple of weeks on St Croix and loved it. We stayed at a hotel called "Grape Tree Bay" and had our own little cabana on the beach. I also remember as the highlight of the trip taking a cat sail over to Buck Island Reef. The snorkeling was fantastic and just the sail was worth the day. I still remember the crew from the boat jumping in the sea and feeding the fish what was left of the bread from lunch. So many fish came that I was afraid to get back in the water after that.

It was long before I started sailing with Windjammer. In fact, it was probably long before many of you were born!

Jaydee
Privateer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: St Croix Reply with quote

Sorry I haven't been on here for a few months so didn't see your question Red Rover 1. They stay at Colony Cove Resort which is where we are staying since we didn't know of any other place at the time we booked. If we like St. Croix, which I'm sure we will, and think about returning we'll have to check out a few other places while we are there. Thanks for the tips Richieg1g and calsailor!
Judy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Islands from A to Z All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: