The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FAQ's for message board use

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Helpful Hints for Using the Sea Shanty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Liz
Flagwaver and Keeper of the Flame

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: FAQ's for message board use Reply with quote

Q. Can anyone register on The Sea Shanty?

A. Yes, as long as you are over 18 years of age. We encourage you to register and join the fun. Non-registered guests can read all of the public forums, but you must be registered to be able to participate in discussions.

Q. Where can I find the Authorization Code to register?

A. You will find the Authorization Code you need to complete your registration in the “Read Before Registering” Section.

Q. How do I join in a discussion?

A. After you are registered and logged in, you will be able to post a reply to any of the public discussions. There are "Post Reply" buttons at the top and bottom of each topic page.

Type out your message and click "submit". An easy place to start is in "The Yardarm" forum. There is a new discussion here daily.

Q. How do I add emoticons to my messages?

A. In the body of the message, put the cursor where you want to add an emoticon. Find the emoticon you want to insert and click on it. If you want to view the entire emoticon library, click on "View More Emoticons" at the bottom of the small selection of emoticons next to the text box you are typing in.

The emoticon will show up as as code. If you want to see what your message will look like before you post it, click on "preview". A preview of your message will pop up with the emoticon as it will appear on the board. Once you have what you want click "submit".

Q. What is a "PM"?

A. A PM is a private message – similar to an email within The Sea Shanty. If a PM has been sent to you, you'll see “You have 1 new message” at the top of The Sea Shanty homepage after you log in. Click on that link to see your message inbox. You will be notified via email that you have received a PM if you have selected that option on the registration page.

No one is able to view your private messages except you! Board administrators and moderators have no access to your messages.

Q. What are private forums?

A. The administrator and moderators are able to create private forums for the exclusive use of certain individuals or groups. Posts in private forums are visible only to the members of the group with permission to participate in that forum.

Q. I'd like to post, but I don’t know where to put my message.

A. Post your question anywhere! We welcome new members!

"The Yardarm" and "Brethren of the Coast" are popular general discussion areas for many different topics. A moderator is able to move your post to another forum if it's really necessary. No problem, mon!

Q. Do I really need to read the Mission and Rules?

A. Yes! They outline acceptable online conduct for The Sea Shanty. http://myseashanty.com/viewtopic.php?t=99

Q. What is the relationship between The Sea Shanty and Island Windjammers?

A. The Sea Shanty is a community message board for past, present, and future passengers of Island Windjammers.

Please visit www.islandwindjammers.com for more information about this unique and visionary company.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Helpful Hints for Using the Sea Shanty All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: