The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Security Procedures @ Maurice Bishop International (GND)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Brethren of the Coast
View previous topic :: View next topic  
voyager
Navigator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: New Security Procedures @ Maurice Bishop International (GND) Reply with quote

http://www.grenadabroadcast.com/content/view/10061/1/

Been there done that. They didn't even scrutinize my hip joint!

Govern yourself accordingly!

AIRLINE SECURITY SEARCHES PM
www.jamaicaobserver.com

ST GEORGE'S, Grenada (CMC), January 26, 2011 Prime Minister Tillman Thomas has confirmed that he was searched by American Airlines officials at Grenada's Maurice Bishop International Airport before embarking on an official overseas trip.

Thomas broke his silence on the issue after the local media called for a public explanation from American Airlines doh! and an apology to the prime minister.

Prime Minister Thomas told the Caribbean Media Corporation that he had no problems with the search which occurred at the airport's VIP lounge last month.

"It's a complicated matter. It's not something that I could clarify. The Airport Authority would have to clarify it," Prime Minister Thomas said, adding "that he "had no problem with it". It's a procedure. To me it does not make a difference to me".

I'd argue expect nothing less from AA little plane

Fred Voyager

7500 sunrises yet to go make every last one of them count!

Saucy Secretary O The Sea

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummmm. At least 1 of those articles was dated December, 2009. Unless they've escalated enormously, they're probably no worse than they were last February when we were down. I do not believe I'm going to worry about it, not one little bit. If I can pass the gate check leaving my home airport ... then I'm good just about anywhere.

Saucy (who has no intention on going to the middle East or any other area currently exhibiting serious violent tendencies)
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had no problem in Oct. They did go through everyone's carryon.
Octoberbabe
Privateer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I left last week, they completely tore apart my backback (it was stuffed with clothes and such) and made me repack it. My person was also searched by hand - no gloves like the US. Hope she enjoyed it! At the time we were the only people going through security, so I wonder if it is just about how busy they are as to how or if they search.

Di

[/url]
skod
Nerd Without Portfolio MODERATOR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last several times we've been down there they have gone through our carryons very extensively as well, making people open up books (presumably to see if they were hollowed out), digging through every single small pocket in packs or purses or wallets, and generally taking everything apart and causing an on-the-spot repack job.

It is annoying, but now we know it is coming, and carry on as little as we care to get messed with when leaving Grenada. Checking bags on the way back is a very good thing. I don't know what they are looking for, but they certainly are looking for it...

Bermuda Onion
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We left GND for Bequia on 5th January 2011 and had no problem. There were 7 of us and we had a charter flight so we were the only passengers in the departure lounge so the guys on security were not exactly busy!
calsailor
Privateer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: OH well Reply with quote

At least it is on our way out and not into Grenada when we are in more of a hurry to get out and on our way.

When we came back from Jump Up, my bag was totally dumped on the counter and every small part of my belongings inspected. I lost jewelry, etc when she just dumped all of my earrings and pendants all over the desk and then hand scooped them up and threw them into my bag loose - not all of them made it back into my carry on. My palm leaf rose buds and bird from the beach were totally crushed by her stuffing them back into the bag. Not happy, but I understand the need to be thorough. I will just pack differently when I come home next month.

Someone told me then that there was an incident where some folks (?bad persons or not) got through Grenada customs with hand guns and it made a huge story in the press. That may have a part to do with the increased scrutiny.

Saucy Secretary O The Sea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay, you are correct. I don't know exactly when it happened, or how often it is attempted, but we were sitting in the lounge waiting for our departure at the end of Jump Up last year and there was a newspaper there that had an article about how they found a cache of guns being transported thru Grenada .. presumably going on to another destination. They got both handguns and rifles in that one. And the article said that smugglers seemed to think that small islands with international airports such as Grenada wouldn't be as careful and diligent. So, it sounds like the Grenada government wants to prove 'em wrong.

I'm sorry to hear that your pretty bird and rosebud got mashed. One idea that we've used (presuming you have a checked bag) is to have a crush-resistant container that you can slip something like that into and then put it into the center of your checked bag.

If we know what to expect .. we can prepare for (most of) it.

Saucy
Bermuda Onion
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have a very small carry on (it's actually one of those cases for carrying toileteries) it's big enough for my camera, Kindle and prescription medication and that's it, everything else goes in my check in so I should be OK if they decide to go through it when we leave GND in April, it's pretty easy to see what's in there!!!
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only wireless bras now for fly days so that I don't set off the security alarm!!!!
RumSunFun
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Friday Reply with quote

Only in Grenada airport, does my under wire bra cause an issue. I always get scanned by a female on the last day of my vacation :D
addy02
Buckos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: hummmmmmmm Reply with quote

OK

Sooooooooooooo NO BRA, No Carry on.........just passport and kindle and I will be all set!!!! Guess we could just wear bathing suits on the plane to make it easier too!!!!!!!! rolling
Or how about "no shirt, no shoes, no problem" :)

I do have a ???????????? Do folks bring their meds in orginal bottles or in the pill pack for each day of the week???? I did not know if they question the plastic pill box, that is obviously not marked to identify the medication.

jacquie
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a plastic pill box and so far have had problems. I do carry a list with description of my meds.

I like no shirt, no shoes, no problem. LMAO

Actually there was a student from VA traveling over Christmas holidays who took off his shirt, etc and had on running shorts when he went through security in protest. He actually got arrested because he wouldn't put his clothes back on. Apparently he was not rude, etc to the TSA. It was thrown out of court.

Octoberbabe
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my daily meds into separate little (and I mean little) sealed plastic bags and carry a list of meds. I haven't had any problem - so far.... If I am taking any prescription pain meds, I do keep those in the prescription bottle, just in case.

I think I'll just keep my clothes on for the safety and sanity of other travelers!

Di

[/url]
calsailor
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:20 pm    Post subject: Clothes? Reply with quote

I think I would recommend everyone keep their clothes on just for the sake of all their fellow passengers.

Myself, I look a heck of a lot better clothed!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Brethren of the Coast All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: