The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sagitta Shakedown Cruise Report 12/16 - 12/22, 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Sagitta Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saucy Secretary O The Sea

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Sagitta Shakedown Cruise Report 12/16 - 12/22, 2012 Reply with quote

I have just begun uploading pictures off 3 separate cameras, so no pix yet ... I'll post some later after I've had a chance to look at them all. But I wanted to put up a brief trip report about our very first week sailing from St Maarten!

Sagitta looks very handsome and moves nicely in the water. Not as nimble a mover as Diamant, but she offers plenty of places to sit and relax and the cabins are roomy compared to Diamant's. Lenny is quite an accomplished chef and together with his assistant George kept us all very well fed. Crepes, pork chops, beef, tender chicken, great deserts ... salads and fruits, eggs done your way, oh, my! The crew is really top-notch; I can't say enough about all of them: Hershell and Johnny our stewards; Rudy and Marlon on deck and running the launches; Simon backing up Captain Nervo and keeping everything on deck running smoothly; Jonesy in the engine room and of course, Laurie keeping all the passengers up to date and coordinated. I've missed a name or 2 ... somebody want to help me out here??

First stop out of St Maarten was St Barts. We tried out some of our brand new sails on this passage ... and like a new suit, some alterations are needed. They sure are brilliant white! WOW! During the week various sail combinations were raised and we had opportunities to experience how she handled with them up. With the 2 square sails up and a following breeze, Sagitta really stepped out.

On St Barts we swam at Shell Beach, walked to the top of the hill overlooking the airport and photographed planes coming in for landing, walked the quay where the super yachts are docked. In harbour was Wheels from Charlotte, NC owned by Hendricks Racing Team. Another group got a taxi for a 1/2 day tour for about $20/pp. Then after dinner we did an overnight sail to St Kitts and arrived just before dawn.

St Kitts Sugar Train had suffered a breakdown was not running (oops!), so for an alternate Wil and one group went out on the ATV tour (LOVED it!). Several of us (myself, Crystal, and 5 others) decided to hire a taxi for a half-day tour. Our driver, Jim of Rose and Jim's Taxi Service was a very nice man; as he drove he gave us some history, stopped for photos at various spots and took us to the old fort atop Brimstone Hill and over to Romney Manor where there is a very nice botanical garden and they also have a Batik 'factory'. Came away with some nice pictures and a beautiful batik top. The ATV tour also stopped there, so Wil got to see this one as well.

Nevis was next and one group made the trek up the mountain for a look around (DEATH March!) - they were gone several hours and we were about to call for a search party when they finally returned. (See Tim's pix) I spent my time on Nevis on the beach / in the water. We were at the beach famous for Sunshine's beach bar and the "Killer Bees". Terrific beach BBQ on shore that evening at Sunshine's had people partying to the wee hours.

Wil went on the snorkle tour at Statia and said it was interesting and reasonably good (not spectacular) ... would have been better if the sun had been out fully to illuminate the area more. He saw plenty of fish and colorful corals. After the death march on Nevis, nobody was interested in trying the much shorter hike to the top of Statia's Quill.

Next day was Anguilla. Very pretty harbour for our landing (Road Bay); classic Caribbean blue tranquil waters, some nice beach bars and small shops of interest. (check out the Pump House Bar and Roy's Place). In the afternoon, we took a bus over to Shoal Bay on the Atlantic side. Wave action was so strong that day it made it almost impossible to get into the water. Myself and 2 others that I know of really got pummeled trying ... There was a group of 7 that did the dolphin encounter ... they said it was Stupendous, Awesome, Incredible, etc. No private photography allowed on the encounter ... they do all the photography and sell you a CD of your adventure. I didn't see anyone's pictures, but everyone that went RAVED about it.

Sailed back to St Maarten that evening and had our final dinner aboard (ummmm! Lobster!) as we came into port. Got some great sunset shots during the week.

That is a very, VERY quick synopsis of the trip. Many more details to follow.

Saucy
Marley
Privateer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report, Donna! I can hardly wait 'til its my turn to sail on Sagitta. 137 more days. Can anyone give me instructions on how to set up a ticker? :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marley wrote:
Great report, Donna! I can hardly wait 'til its my turn to sail on Sagitta. 137 more days. Can anyone give me instructions on how to set up a ticker? :D

Marley, simplest way I know is to go to www.tickerfactory.com and choose a "vacation" ticker format and then follow the simple directions. At the end you will need to copy the appropriate link into your profile ... go to Profile then under that go to Signature (Edit Signature) and paste the link there. Then save and close and test. Hopefully, it will work the first try.

Donna
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great trip. Like Marley, can't wait until it's my turn come June!!!
torontojamme

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 days to go, can hardly wait!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlike the Grenada/Grenadines area, there are lots of good tour options on the islands Sagitta visits.

Within walking distance of town in Nevis, there are some mineral hot springs. Short walk, wear your suit; not sure of changing facilities.

While the Nevis "Death March" may not appeal to everyone, on Statia (St Eustasius), the hike to the rim of the Quill is less strenuous and if you still feel frisky, you can hike down inside the caldera for a visit to the rain forest inside. Also, depending on the day, there is a terrific historical walk on Statia led by a lady originally from the USA. She will take you to the various spots of historical significance in Orangestad and give you a good view of the island's history.

On St Kitts, there is also an abandoned winery that is being reconstructed. Looks like it might be another interesting place to see.

Guidebooks say Anguilla is a birding hotspot; needs to be verified.

Can't wait til my follow-up visit in February!!
Saucy
Marley
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the directions, Donna. Looks like it worked. :D

[/url]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marley wrote:
Thanks for the directions, Donna. Looks like it worked. :D

Lookin' good, Marley! Can't wait for you to experience the Sagitta adventure!

D
wjtraveler
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Taxi in St Kitts Reply with quote

You lucked out I have used Rose and Jim Hurbert three times in the last five years. I have their email if anyone needs a fair and honest ride in St Kitts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Sagitta Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: