The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Solo Sojourn November 3, 2013

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Sagitta Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
izzyvet

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Solo Sojourn November 3, 2013 Reply with quote

Hi!! I am an inexperienced solo traveler, but 2 years ago I went to Africa solo, and had a great time. I am looking forward to meeting everyone..

Has anyone gotten their St. Maarten hotel yet? I think I will stay at Pasanggrahan hotel. Looks very nice and I think will be fun to be in the middle of things.

I've never been on a ship this small. My husband and I were avid "traditional" cruisers. But I needed something a bit more intimate for this trip. I also wanted something very laid back and casual.
Saucy Secretary O The Sea

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Izzy,

First of all, welcome Pasanggrahan is an excellent choice of hotel; on the beach, in the middle of the action, etc. You will enjoy your sail on Sagitta. The islands are all very interesting and diverse ... and with 24 passengers there will be a good mix of folks as well.

Don't hesitate to ask questions; people here will be delighted to give you pointers.

Saucy
izzyvet

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks!!! I am someone nervous and excited, first trip like this alone.

Won't be 24 passengers, as I booked a cabin solo. :)

I am so used to the big ships, but for this trip I wanted something much more laid back and "natural"
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be nervous! You all quickly become friends on an IWJ cruise, passengers and crew, all. It doesn't matter if you're solo, a couple or a bunch! You'll find happy, like-thinking folks who enjoy a more casual vacation in a gorgeous setting. And on Sagitta, you'll quickly discover that Sagittarita time is your favorite time of the day!
cocktail
I sailed on Sagitta just a month ago and stayed at the Pasanggrahan. Great choice for a hotel. Walk outside to the beach and turn left, walk about a block and turn right to the ferry dock area and try the Greenhouse restaurant, for drinks or for drinks and eats. Every afternoon, from 4pm, its 2 for one....which the Pasanggrahan bar does, too. But the Greenhouse has a really good and varied menu. Pasanggrahan has a good menu, but limited (except at breakfast!), and a very nice bar area overlooking the beach with lots of thatched palapas offering shade with breezes through the tropical trees. I loved St. Maartin (Dutch side vs French side) and being at the Pasanggrahan puts you right in the middle of beach, bars, restaurants, shops, street entertainers and just pleasant walks along the boardwalk.

DO take the opportunity to try a guavaberry colada at the Pasanggrahan. Guavaberries are grown on St. Maarten, and you'll find a lot of places serving those coladas. But I especially liked the ones right there.

And welcome to the Sea Shanty! Let's have one in your honor:
cocktail

YYCtrvlgrl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: You will LOVE the Experience Reply with quote

You made a WISE choice.
You will love sailing on Sagitta. Trust me going solo is no problem. That is how I got hooked in 2010. I went solo on my first sailing adventure on Diamant and met wonderful people whom I still stay in contact with.

I am doing my fourth trip with IWJ this summer and was planning to
go solo again but my friends have heard me share my
many awesome memories, so now I have a friend and her sister coming
along for the rum, sun and fun!

Any questions, concerns, tips ask away.

:D
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Sagitta Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: