The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hotels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Diamant Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scubamomof3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Hotels Reply with quote

How early should I book my hotel in Grenada? I'm having a hard time deciding where to stay. My trip is not until August but I don't want my options to be limited because I wait until the last minute. We have 2 nights before and 2 nights after. I'm not sure if I want to stay at the same hotel before and after either. Any thoughts?
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We usually book our hotel 2-3 months before our trip, and have never had a problem. August isn't the busiest tourist month so you should have no problems booking a room. It might be nice to stay in 2 different places so you get more of a feel for the island. We have stayed at quite a few different places over the years, and have finally settled on one hotel. We do prefer to be on the beach but have stayed at other locations that were within walking distance of the beach. Now we stay at the Allamanda Resort on Grand Anse Beach as it has the perfect location on the beach, close to about 10 restaurants, the shopping mall, banks and ATMs, and the bus stop. It is nothing fancy by any means, a 2 star hotel but clean, friendly staff, and the least expensive on the beach.
Saucy Secretary O The Sea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Hotels Reply with quote

scubamomof3 wrote:
How early should I book my hotel in Grenada? I'm having a hard time deciding where to stay. My trip is not until August but I don't want my options to be limited because I wait until the last minute. We have 2 nights before and 2 nights after. I'm not sure if I want to stay at the same hotel before and after either. Any thoughts?

I suppose it is all about what you like/require from a hotel. For me, I tend towards being cost conscious and I'm not into a lot of available on-site activities (modified all inclusive type). My personal choice in Grenada is always the Allamanda. Clean, basic (rooms are good sized and all have a mini fridge and coffee maker), friendly staff (the maids recognize you from your last trip!!), and LOCATION. Right on the beach, easy and convenient walk to grocery, some restaurants, local bus, etc. The price is right - on of the least expensive hotels in one of the best locations.

Or, if you want to go up a notch and still be on the beach, there is the Grenada Grand Beach Resort. Two pools, one with a swim-up bar, still on Grand Anse Beach, but not quite as convenient for walking to stores.

Other folks love the Flamboyant and it is also on Grand Anse, but the walk to the stores/shops/restaurant is more daunting. Lots of stairs: to the rooms, to the beach, to the restaurant.

There is also True Blue Bay; no beach, but they are on a beautiful harbor. A slightly more upscale hotel than Allamanda or Flamboyant. If you are a diver, it is THE most convenient because Aquanauts Dive Shop is located there and keeps its diveboats there. (Aquanauts will also pick you up at the hotels along Grand Anse Beach for diving/snorkeling) Much more expensive to get to town or other restaurants because of location (taxi fares and higher bus fares).

Another good one to look at is Dr. Groom's Beach Resort; again, a lower priced option, but my tour of the hotel was very positive. Good sized rooms, nice accommodations, pretty pool and a pool-side restaurant. Easy 5 minute stroll to Dr Groom's Beach, a very pretty and quite private (under-utilized) beach. A couple of dining options located close to the hotel. It is near the airport, so is further from town and shopping. Bus stop close by - local bus will cost $5 EC (about $2 US) one way into town.

Like Sandra, I always seem to stay at the Allamanda when in Grenada ... to me it's like being home again.
scubamomof3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking Allamanda for the 2 nights before and True Blue Bay for the 2 nights after. I certainly don't need anything fancy. It sounds like this might be a good choice. I will look into Dr Grooms as well. It's good to know I still have a couple of months to think about it before booking.

Thanks!
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've stayed at True Blue, and liked it. Not on the beach but has a nice pool; good restaurant, bar, etc. It's fine for 1 night but it is a cab ride away from town, etc.
caribdreamer
Privateer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have stayed at the Grenada Grand and the Allamanda. The GG is certainly a notch above the Allamanda but so is the price. Either way, Grand Anse beach is beautiful!
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grenada Grand is now the Radisson.
scubamomof3

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked the prices at the Radisson and True Blue Bay, and I was surprised they were the same! The reviews for the Radisson were terrible though. Is the breakfast buffet really almost $100. US? I'd rather eat a granola bar. Are the drinks outrageously expensive as well? I really just want a hotel with a decent pool and decent, reasonably priced food there or nearby, just a laid back place to enjoy a couple of days before the flight home.
caribdreamer
Privateer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My recollection was that the breakfast buffet was probably overpriced but nowhere near that expensive (how many people was that for?). We ate and drank elsewhere (Umbrellas down the beach) but the pools at the Radisson are much nicer than the Allamanda. We were only really there for a day and two nights.
Saucy Secretary O The Sea

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scubamomof3 wrote:
I checked the prices at the Radisson and True Blue Bay, and I was surprised they were the same! The reviews for the Radisson were terrible though. Is the breakfast buffet really almost $100. US? I'd rather eat a granola bar. Are the drinks outrageously expensive as well? I really just want a hotel with a decent pool and decent, reasonably priced food there or nearby, just a laid back place to enjoy a couple of days before the flight home.

In that case, I would again point to either the Allamanda or Dr. Groom's Beach Resort. The pool at Allamanda may not be spectalar, but has always been clean and well-kept when I've been there (I admit I rarely go in the pool 'cause the ocean is much more my style) and they do offer a free breakfast menu that is not wonderous, but has a fair assortment of choices (ie. fruit plate with toast, cereal, eggs with bacon or sausage, toast, etc.) or, you can get your room rate reduced slightly without the breakfast and go across the street to La Boulangaree (creative spelling) for some nice French pastries, souffles and other offerings.
scubamomof3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am definitely staying at the Allamande before the trip. Looks like I will be there after the trip too. Thanks for all of your first hand help!
jacksback

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to say to stay at the same hotel in case you have to bring larger luggage - then you can ask the hotel to hold your suitcase while you are on the cruise.
Bermuda Onion
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We normally stay at the Flamboyant and have done so for many years but on our January trip to Grenada in 2013 we stayed at the Grenada Grand (Radisson) because we were traveling with a friend who could not manage the steps at the Flamboyant.

The breakfast buffet was certainly not $100 per person but we only ate the buffet once because there was very little on offer plus the line for the scrambled or fried eggs was so long that we gave up. This was due to the only person cooking the eggs was one guy with one pan and one burner!

The Tripadvisor reviews mention the same problems we encountered over a year ago - key cards not working, no beach towels available for days on end, bathroom towels not being replaced, bar drinks very expensive. We ate and drank elsewhere.

YYCtrvlgrl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Carnival in August Reply with quote

FYI ~ you might want to book early if your dates coincide with Carnival
in Grenada. I think it is usually the first weekend in August. It would be a
double whammy for you if you are there for Carnival. It is colourful and lots of fun!!!

One hotel I stayed in that hasn't been mentioned yet is Kalinago Beach
Resort. Prices were good, rooms were big and all of them have an ocean view.

Coyaba is also very nice, but pricey!

Good luck and have fun!!!
scubamomof3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone has given me some great ideas! I just looked at pictures and reviews for Kalinago. I think I'm sold on that place now. So, change of plans again- The Allamanda before and the Kalinago after. I'll reserve soon, just in case!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Diamant Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: