The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sailing Diamant April 10-16th! Need a place in St. George's
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Diamant Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T&S

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Sailing Diamant April 10-16th! Need a place in St. George's Reply with quote

Any suggestions for a cheap hotel for the night before our cruise in St. George's Grenada? We fly in at 8:30pm and just need a place to rest our heads before boarding the next morning.

Anyone sailing with us??

From Barrie, ON Canada! This is our 10 year anniversary cruise! We did Windjammer for our Honeymoon and our 1st year anniversary! :) Really looking forward to sailing on a smaller ship! cocktail
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We having been staying at the Allamanda Resort on Grand Anse Beach for about 6 yrs. Nothing fancy; 2 star but clean with friendly staff. They give a discount to Island Windjammer folks so be sure to let them know that you're sailing with IWJ. You can walk across the street to the street vendors for something to eat and drink when you get in. Most everything else is closed. Perfect location on the beach across from Spiceland Mall, near about 10 restaurants and the bus stop plus ATM. Perfect place for the night before you sail.
Saucy Secretary O The Sea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing I advised folks flying into Grenada - presuming you have a layover in Miami (as about 85% do) - either eat a very late lunch/early dinner before boarding time or get something to go and eat on the plane. The downside to flights into GND is there is so little available when you arrive and sometimes folks don't feel totally comfortable walking over and catching a bite from the food vendors. (I do, but I'm comfortable exploring on my own and occasionally too naive for my own good).

Saucy
T&S

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the suggestions! Hubby and I love exploring so the food vendors sound great! That hotel sounds like exactly what we need the night before. Just a taxi ride from the airport how far from the dock?
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a short ride, maybe 10 minutes at the most, to the dock.

It's a well lighted walk across the street from the hotel to where the food venders are set up. We usually get a grilled fish sandwich, a couple of Carib beers and take them back to our room to consume!

The next morning you can take a walk on the beach then go to Spiceland Mall (across the street from the hotel) and buy some rum to take on board with you. We usually buy Clarke's Court, a local rum. The IGA has a good selection of alcoholic beverages.

We usually have our favorite taxi driver pick us up at 11 am and take us to Port Louis. We drop off our luggage then head to the bakery just inside the gate to the marina as the have "build your own grilled burger" on Friday's. We get a burger and some yummy ginger cookies and take them over to the picnic tables at The Victory Restaurant. We get a Carib beer at the restaurant and have a little picnic before boarding time.

You'll have a great time. Be sure to post a trip report as we all live vicariously through them.
T&S

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all!

Anyone ever stay at Caribbean Cottage Club? Was checking them out. Good Trip Advisor comments and within walking distance of the dock! And starts at $65/night!
IndianaCheeseHead
Privateer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandra wrote:
It's just a short ride, maybe 10 minutes at the most, to the dock.....

We usually have our favorite taxi driver pick us up at 11 am and take us to Port Louis.......

I thought the Diamant moved to Le Phare Bleu?? thinking
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She did for a very short time but she is back at Port Louis now.
IndianaCheeseHead
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandra wrote:
She did for a very short time but she is back at Port Louis now.

Excellent!
I really like the setup at Port Louis.

:D
604week4&5
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrie,,, Congratulations on your Anniversary...If it is only for one night pay a few extra bucks and try the Granada Grand Resort just down from the Allamanda.. We always stay there when in Grenada before the sail and always look forward to going back there...Beautiful grounds and pools right on the Beach...
BCCrooke

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barrie,

Do I understand that you and your wife will be on Diamant for the April 10th sail? If so, my brother, our wives and I will be joining you. Good to know it will be at least six of us. Have you heard from either of us. We're looking forward to it.

We'll be staying at the Allamanda a few days before the cruise.

Brian and Patti
along with Bruce and Norma.
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian and Patti the post from Barre was from January 2015 so I don't think they'll be sailing with you.
Bermuda Onion
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have stayed at the Grenada Grand (now a Radisson) and it is very nice, comfortable and well positioned. We can also recomend the Coyaba where we stayed for New Year this year. Excellent accommodation, great staff. Sun beds are available either on the beach (staff will organise them for you) or on the grass just inside of the fence. There is a small beach bar just inside the fence which will supply you with beers, wine or rum while you relax on the sun beds. Can highly recommend it.
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have done Diamant twice and both times stayed at True Blue Resort. I would stay there again.
1 . 15 minutes from airport
2. Family owned and operated
3. Have a nice bar and restaurant. Food is great and a lot on menu. Even have a cooking class once a week on Grenadian food. I went to the class both times.

The airlines use it for there layovers. You will see them in the morning for breakfast .

Staff is friendly and helpful.
Look at their web site. Any questions . just ask

Paul

[/url]
BCCrooke

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Sandra. I guess I mixed up my Januaries.
Still looking forward to the trip, and still haven't found anyone that will be accompanying us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Diamant Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: