The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eight Survived

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Ye Olde Salt Book Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saucy Secretary O The Sea

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:34 pm    Post subject: Eight Survived Reply with quote

In honor of Veterans Day and in appreciation of all Veterans everywhere, I would like to suggest the book EIGHT SURVIVED by Douglas A Campbell. This is the story of the WWII submarine Flier, built in Groton, CT and launched in 1943. This Gato class submarine was on her second patrol when she struck a mine in the Balabac strait of the southern Philippines. The riveting story of the subsequent survival and rescue of 8 of her crew makes the book hard to put down.

I feel a personal connection to this book because it takes place in the same region where my Dad served as an Army field medic and ambulance driver during the war and the recounting of some of their experiences with the local tribal people mirrors some of Dad's experiences when he and his squad would go into the hills to provide medical assistance to the local tribes.

Saucy
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear SSOTS,

Thanks for the kind words about Veteran's Day. A very important Day for me. Did 23 years in the Navy and three tours riding those river boats in the brown waters of Vietnam.

I would like to comment on this book . If you read the comments and review on Amazon you will see it doesn't get a good review. There are a lot of mistakes in the books. Maybe if you weren't a Navy or big history person you wouldn't see them. there is another book about this submarine titled USS FLIER and it gets 4 and 5 stars. It is available on Amazon.

One of the best submarine book I have read was THUNDER BELOW by Rear Admiral Gene Fluckley. It is his story on the USS BARB. He received the Medal of Honor and 4 Navy Crosses for his service in WW2. I had the privilege to meet him at a book signing at he USNA a few years ago. You start reading this book and you cannt put it down.

I usually bring 4-6 books of this type with me on my IWJ trips and usually finish them all. I already started putting together my books for the
May 2016 trip.

My two cent. Hope you don't mind my comments.

Paul

[/url]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, no I can appreciate your comments. As the wife of a diesel boat submariner and a long-time submarine fan (even before meeting Mr. Bill), I often take the terminology failures of writers as evidence of their lack of thorough knowledge, and a greater failure of their editors.

I admit to never having read the reviews of Eight Survived ... I bought the book in a second hand shop primarily because of the location where it took place - being a submarine story AND set in the Philippines made it a must read for me. And yes, I've read everything Dick O'Kane wrote, as well as William Anderson, Edward Beach, James Calvert and a host of others.

As far as the logistics errors in this book, since I am not a die-hard naval historian the factual errors regarding the loss of the Robalo were of no consequence to the story at hand. However the account of the grounding at Midway did have me scratching my head. As I said, my interest in the book and the tale of survival of the eight crewmen was of primary interest due to my Dad's having spent his active duty combat time in that area. And from that perspective, I gained an even greater appreciation for those war stories I heard long ago from my Dad.

I plan on looking for the other book on the Flier and add it to my "must read" list.

Thanks for the conversation, Paul.

Saucy
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I share this with you. Joined the Navy to go on diesel boats. In boot camp I volunteer and took the physical. Sadly found out I was color blind and no subs for me. God and the Navy had other plans for me. My Navy career started in a engneroom on a LST homeported in Yokosuka Japan.. If you want to read a good Navy book. It is out of print . Look for LEFT HANDED MONKEY WRENCH. It is written by Richard Mckeena who wrote San Pebbles. picture is of me on a diesel sub USS Becuna she is tied up next to the USS OLYMPIA at Philly

[/url]
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:32 pm    Post subject: NAVY MOVIES Reply with quote

Pls, tell your husband to go to you tube and type in NAVY LOG or SILENT SERVICE. Both of these are TV series made in the 1950s about the NAVY and Submarines. They are old and black and white. each one is about 25 minutes
long but they are enjoyable. I am sure you would like too.

[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, all of those have been played so many times I think we are wearing U-Tube out!! Actually his current hobby, having sold his scale model ride-on train, is flying RC aircraft. We have the equivalent of an aircraft carrier in the back of his extended cab pickup truck!! He jokingly refers to it as the IWJ Airforce. When we get to FL in a couple of weeks, I'll get a pix of all the planes on the ground together. Phoenix is the smallest of the big birds, plus there's at least 1 or 2 "piper cub" scale models.

Saucy ... supporting hobbies in the air and on the seas!
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. Have a good time

[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, we do Paul. Between our little outboard runabout/fishing boat "Stolen Time" and our bicycles, fishing, his :airplanes, my photography, (more fishing), hangin' with our friends at the pool/hot tub, (did I mention fishing?), walking our cats ... there's no such thing as a boring day.

Headin' South in a week ... and it can't come soon enough! Missin' my boat, my fish, even (so help me!) my alligator! Well, you know what "they" say:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Ye Olde Salt Book Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: