The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roadtown Fast Ferry

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Vela Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
winefrog
Bon Vivant & Sybarite

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject: Roadtown Fast Ferry Reply with quote

Anybody have any experience with the Fast Ferry between St. Thomas and Tortola? I made reservations online to go travel between St. Thomas and Tortola in connection with my Vela trip this May. I've not received a confirmation from the company but my credit card shows that the transaction took place. I've called their St. Thomas phone number and sent an email and have not had a response (I had to leave a voicemail since nobody answered the phone). Any tips?? Should I keep on trying to contact them or just wait until I arrive in May (I'll be arriving a few days before boarding Vela).
Texasgirl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Winefrog. There are a lot of reviews on TripAdvisor...just search Road Town Fast Ferry on that website and see all the comments...some good some bad. I've seen comments on Sea Shanty too but don't remember what forum.
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back from Tortola (3rd trip).
We've gotten to Road Town (Beef Island is airport) via air from Puerto Rico and via ferry from St. Thomas. Prefer flying. Ferry can run on "island time," while the planes fly schedules. We had reserved tickets for ferry, but that didn't seem to matter in the crunch of people (mostly locals) trying to get on the final ferry of the day to Road Town. We had to get really pushy to get to the be the last 2 on that ferry that day--leaving hordes at the ferry dock. Trip back was just as pushy. And ferry ride can be very rocky leaving St. Thomas. Takes about an hour. We know folks who didn't make it onto the ferry and ended up staying the night in St. Thomas.

We've flown Seaborne from Puerto Rico to Beef Island, and we've flown Cape Air (30 min trip each way). Not a fan of Cape Air, a small 9-passenger plane where your seat location is based on your weight. Seaborne is a 30-something passenger plane with a flight attendant. Very smooth, very nice. If you make flight arrangements to Beef Island with American or Jet Blue, you'll get ticketed for the last leg via Seaborne. If you are flying with United, you'll get Cape Air. Cab ride from Beef Island to Road Town is $15 per person and takes about 20 minutes. Beautiful ride.

Tortola and the rest of the BVI: beautiful, fabulous, wonderful, fun!

Best places to stay in Road Town: Maria's by the Sea and Village Cay Marina Hotel. We stay at the latter because that's where we pick up our tender to our sailing ship (don't know if that's where IWJ is doing pick ups). Village Cay has a very nice open-air restaurant and bar and great view of the marina. Maria's is a couple of blocks away, but a very nice walk. Lovely hotel. If you stay at Village Cay, be sure to ask for a "waterfront room". Their "garden rooms" are less than stellar, or so we've heard from fellow passengers, who claim they are dreary and dark.

winefrog
Bon Vivant & Sybarite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks...I'll be sure to be in line early for my ferry trips.
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a backup don't forget there is a ferry from RedHook to Roadstown

[/url]
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those two St. Thomas ferry sites are quite a ways apart, as I recall. If considering Red Hook, do look at a map.
on vacation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winefrog - that is weird you haven't heard back. We haven't booked ours yet, but probably going to do the same ferry. There are other options - private water taxi - it is more expensive. Maybe if we all go together it would be more affordable! When are you all heading to Tortola? We are going Friday and heading back Saturday morning from the ship.

Kim
buddycat
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the BVI/USVI Ferry Schedule at
Bestofbvi.com
news flash

winefrog
Bon Vivant & Sybarite

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are staying on St. Thomas until Sun morning on the 15th and then taking the ferry over to Tortola. We too were going to head back to St. Thomas on the Saturday we get off Vela to catch our plane home.
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When going back to St Thomas from Road Town, via ferry. Hopefully, your flight is a mid to late afternoon one. Take an early ferry. You will have customs to deal with in St. Thomas, and you may have lines to contend with in Road Town.
ScurvyDog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Fast Ferry Reply with quote

Bob
I made a reservation last month and DID receive a confirmation email including a reservation number. Not sure if it is absolutely necessary but I think it might be wise to keep trying to contact them.
winefrog
Bon Vivant & Sybarite

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: I did receive my conformation (with a number) via email yesterday. It only took two emails and a phone call. The website for the Fast Ferry doesn't show the email address for reservations on the ferry so for any of you who might want to contact them here you go...
res@roadtownfastferry.com The ticket agent is Rebecca Atanacio and here email is ratanacio@roadtownfastferry.com . Cheers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Vela Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: