The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

May 22 - 28, 2016 | Vela's Video Debut
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Vela Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandra, You are correct. I looked up DEET and found the following : DEET is often sold and used in spray or lotion in concentrations up to 100%.[14] Consumer Reports found a direct correlation between DEET concentration and hours of protection against insect bites. 100% DEET was found to offer up to 12 hours of protection while several lower concentration DEET formulations (20%-34%) offered 3–6 hours of protection.[15] Other research has corroborated the effectiveness of DEET.[16] The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends 30-50% DEET to prevent the spread of pathogens carried by insects.[17] and wipes have only 7.5. You could use the wipes if you want to spray with a higher concentration to make it easier to apply and still get a good protection

[/url]
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

getting closer everyday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LPrGCyTMec

[/url]
Island Spice
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are home from our week on Vela. It went by way too fast, as usual. Despite being pretty limited in my activities due to a last minute back surgery on Friday (before sailing Sunday!) I had one of the best weeks on board. The crew are the best, we had a great group of passengers, and Vela is simply awesome.

I had a chance to peek into every passenger cabin before departing on Saturday, and I would book any one of them without hesitation. I do need to work on my packing skills - as usual I REALLY over-packed. But I'll be seeing Vela again in July - this time I think I'll shoot for carry-on only.

Mom and Dad loved the Owner's Suite..but who wouldn't??? But I even liked the solo cabins. The topsail cabin is awesome, and the compass cabins are really nice too.

I'm working on my trip report!

Beware the shotskis on Willie T's! But I loved every minute of it...that I can remember!

And I curse (and thank) whoever thought to put a popcorn machine on board! I resisted for the first few days...

Pirate 4 Hire
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to resist popcorn!! Sounds like you had a great time! Much deserved!
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back surgery and sail two days later???!!!!! Rolling Eyes I have longtime lower back issues that could slow me down on a tall-ship, but
my back brace and special cushion keep me going. I can't even imaging sailing two days after back surgery!

You are definitely a glass half full gal! Good for you!!!! :D

Island Spice
Privateer

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured I'd be in pain either way, but I'd rather be in pain and recovering on vacation in one of the most beautiful settings in the world. It was definitely unexpected - after two unsuccessful nerve blocks over the past month, I was finally able to see the surgeon and he said he could fit me in the next day. Thankfully my parents were visiting, so mom was able to come with me to my doctor appointments and the hospital for the surgery.

I also knew that the crew would take good care of me - and they did! I only worried about getting on and off the dinghy, but the guys were awesome. A couple days I didn't get off the ship, but I got a lot of rest. If I had to fly a long distance to get there, I wouldn't have considered it.

I probably shouldn't have done the hike down to The Baths - even though mom and I took the easy path down to Devil's Bay, the trip back up the hill wasn't enjoyable. But I really wanted to see The Baths again, so it was worth it!

sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you! So glad it worked out well. And it doesn't surprise me that the crew was awesome. I had a couple of times with my back that I couldn't go on the dinghy due to high waves (I have two pinched nerves), so I stayed on board when everyone was gone but crew. They made sure I was ok and that I got fed (well) if it was the day of the beach bbq.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Vela Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: