The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vela - French W. Indies 1/15/2017

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Vela Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NorthernPirate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject: Vela - French W. Indies 1/15/2017 Reply with quote

Just curious if anyone else on this cruise is on the forum? I booked it back in the summer and the anticipation is killing me. I've wanted to do something like this for 30+ years now, but my wife gets motion sick so a week long sailing trip just isn't an option for her. She finally told me to just go, so I'll be traveling solo.
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you won't be alone. Many folks never come to the Sea Shanty. You are in for a real treat! If you have any questions, just ask and I'm sure a lot of "old salts" will respond. heartbeat heartbeat heartbeat Vela!!
604week4&5
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey northern pirate,,, No problem with sailing solo,,,I did it for the same reason for 2 weeks in in June and look who was also sailing those weeks it was Sandra (Diamant April2017),,,Small World.. Don
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am single and sail Sols all the time. have done 2 (12) days on Daimant and 1 (12 day) on Vela. Next scheduled trip is Dec 2017 on Vela again for 12 day unless I can get a bun on one of the May trip. PM is you have any questions or just post here. I usually read all the posts. I should also say that beside IWJ I have done these sailing vacation with other companies too. You will have a great time

[/url]
NorthernPirate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear positive reviews of sailing solo! I'm a former chef, and lover of all things Caribbean with dreams of wintering in the islands in a few years. I've been a solo business traveler for years so I'm the kind of guy who strikes up a conversation with anyone who seems interested in chatting.

I'd love to hear anything about where on the different islands we 'might' make land. My wife and I did a day trip to St. Barths when we were in St. Martin and after we got back we saw that we missed one of the places we would have probably enjoyed the most.
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Pirate, suggest you look at some of the older posts . Especially Sagittam since she sails mostly in these island. Also, look the Islands A-Z on this site

[/url]
NorthernPirate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm poking around with the search feature, having a hard time finding much for specifics.

I have been working with a French tutor trying to get some basic conversational French down, which I did see someone recommended if you wanted to get out and explore. My wife and I stayed in St. Martin this spring and only had a couple of instances of people not speaking English but it did make me aware of how much I've traveled depending on other people learning a second language.
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trip advisor is a good search engine. check with your library Rosetta Stone is free here in NJ. Great language tool

[/url]
Tim
Privateer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent free language program is Duolingo. It has several choices. I have been studying Spanish, French and just started German.

It is very easy and you go at your own pace.

Click Doulingo.com and sign on.

NorthernPirate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was more looking for what anchorages IWJ has been using on the different islands as well as some of the excursion options they've been offering and what people thought of them who'd taken them.

I'm an amateur photographer and still work in the hospitality industry so I was a bit curious as to where we might come in so I could do a little internet scouting for photo locations and any famous restaurants/bars that I'd like to check out without making a huge trip out of getting somewhere if we come in on the other side of an island.

I started out with Duolingo and other language tools and am trying a few months of twice a week tutoring with a native French language teacher to get my pronunciation and accent better, as well as getting more of the 'we don't really say it that way in conversation, in conversation we say ...' kind of stuff. My wife *loved* St. Martin and I'm sure we'll be back there so with this trip coming I decided to get serious with French first. Once I get through the basics with French I'll start on Spanish and go set at the bar at the Mexican restaurant we frequent and work on that there. ;-)
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One stop will be St. Barts which has beautiful beaches. Be sure to stop by Le Select, a bar/restaurant that serves Cheeseburger in Paradise. Story is Jimmy Buffett wrote the song there. Not sure if true but it is a well known place right in the heart of Gustavia just a short walk from the dock.

Go to St. John Beach which is walkable or take a cab. You maybe able to get some pictures of planes landing right on the beach airport. It's a crazy drop for the planes to land coming over the small mountain

Tip: some of the French islands don't accept US$$ so take a few Euros with you. If you belong to AAA, you can purchase Euros there. I took 85 Euro with us and have some leftover. Great to be able to buy a beer or bottle of water. Couple years ago in Martinique I had no Euros; was hot and thirsty and couldn't find anyone to sell me a bottle of water using US $$. Grrrr!

NorthernPirate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think we'd make it as far as St. Barths on the West Indies trip? If we do that would be good, I was there in May and regret not going to the bar on Shell Beach. We saw Sagitta moored out as we arrived on the ferry from St. Martin.
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. Youi are so right. You won't go to St. Barts. Bummer. We sailed from St. Martin to St. Lucia, 12 days, in June and we did go to St. Barts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Vela Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: