The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to stay before and after in St. Maarten

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Sagitta Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suzyqrocks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:54 am    Post subject: Where to stay before and after in St. Maarten Reply with quote

We are looking to extend our trip with at least a couple of nights before and after out trip in November. (19-25).
Does anyone have suggestions on where to stay?
Beach view/access is mandatory!
Jotum
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We usually go down and a couple days early and stay at the Passangran in Phillipsburg which is convenient to the ship. Afterwards we stay a couple weeks up on Orient Beach. Esmeralda or Allamanda are nice and have stayed other places also including a condo. Many of these can be booked through St Martin reservation Center which usually pops up for the Esmeralda. Great beach with restaurants at Orient. Good restaurants for dinner in the village and exceptional restaurants nearby in Grand Case. Get a car and check out a bunch of the beaches up on the French side. Try Friars Bay, Nettles Bay (with Dreams restaurant), and Pinel Island (take one of the,first ferries and go to the spots around to the left)
Bermuda Onion
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We stayed in a condo on the beach at Nettles Bay a few years back and it was within walking distance (along the beach) to Dreams (fabulous restaurant) plus another couple of restaurants whose name escapes me at the moment.

Found the condo on Vacation Rentals By Owner.

sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Royal Pasanggrahan always gets our vote!
Opens right onto the boardwalk...and you want a room on that side, NOT the front side that is where a very busy street is. Pasanggrahan has some really nice suites, new in the last couple of years, as well as regular rooms. The suites are amazing in size and accommodations. Very tropical feel hotel, excellent open air bar with palapas and lots of flora and fauna and amazing guavaberrycolas!! Yum! Nearby is the Greenhouse Restaurant that is a great meet-up spot: extensive menu, covered open-air seating, large, very tropical.

604week4&5
Privateer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

St Maarten Hotels and path to the ship
IndianaCheeseHead
Privateer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second "The Pasanggrahan".
We always stay there for a couple of days before the cruise.
On Sunday, checkout is at noon I believe; so we checkout and walk to the ship. About half way there, we stop at Chesterfield"s for lunch. Then we continue on to the terminal arriving at 2pm just in time to meet the crew and board the ship.
This works well for us.

cheers
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be noted, the walk to the ship is not a walk in the park...LOL. It's along a winding, narrow and very busy roadway with no sidewalk....at least it was in 2014 when we were last there. If you're with luggage or even just a duffle bag, it can be dicey making your way there. Lots of flora and fauna alongside the road. We opt for the brief cab ride, which isn't dicey or pricey.
caribdreamer
Privateer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also would recommend the Passangrahn. However, just to clarify, I would not really describe it as "beachy" in that area. There is a wide boardwalk all along the waterfront between the hotels/bars/shops and the actual beach. Its great for people watching and watching the activity in the harbour, but I think there are more "beachy" beaches elsewhere on the island, for example Orient Beach (from what I hear - I haven't been to that part of the island)
jimsaint

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider Simpson Bay! The Horny Toad Guesthouse (http://thtgh.com/) is really nice.
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailorJM wrote:
To be noted, the walk to the ship is not a walk in the park...LOL. It's along a winding, narrow and very busy roadway with no sidewalk....at least it was in 2014 when we were last there. If you're with luggage or even just a duffle bag, it can be dicey making your way there. Lots of flora and fauna alongside the road. We opt for the brief cab ride, which isn't dicey or pricey.

Actually, there is a sidewalk the whole distance that we walk. We walk the boardwalk to the Greenhouse, across the bridge and across the parking lot by the 12Meter Challenge and out to the sidewalk. We have had no problem with the traffic. As I said, this works well for us - especially the stop at Chesterfield's. :D
Vicki with a V

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stayed at the Pasanggrahan for one night prior to sailing. It was a very nice room, comfortable and clean. However, everything near there closes up if there are not Cruise Ships in port. I was very excited when I arrived, and had plans to visit all the little shops and cafes the next day, only to discover the little shops and cafes were all sealed up tight, since there were no ships in port that day. I think if I were going to stay longer than a day or two, I would probably check out the other side of the island.

Also, go to the Greenhouse. Have the Bang Bang Calamari. You will thank me.

Seahorse76

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IWJ reccomends Holland House. Rooms are beautiful and it is convenient to the beach/boardwalk and the ship...but it seems to be LOUD on Friday and Saturday nights (club/music below). If I hadn't been so exhausted from traveling I'm not sure I would have slept at all! If you're sensitive to such things I wouldn't suggest this hotel.
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per Indiana Cheesehead's comments, it seems that the route between the boardwalk area (where Pasanggrahan and Holland House are) and the ship has improved since 2014. That's definitely a good thing!
Jotum
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Facebook group you can join called SXM or Bust. It has over 4000 members and they answer all kinds of questions about SXM. You can print their membership card and get discounts at a lot of places including up to 70% off at some jewelry stores
caribbeangirl
Privateer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another place to try is Captain Oliver's. It is at the south end of the island and you can see St. Barth's in the distance (also ferry to St Barth's there.) Only issue is you are not near the shopping areas if that is what you want to do but otherwise very peaceful, clean and friendly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Sagitta Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: