The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American Airlines Flight Change
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Brethren of the Coast
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bermuda Onion
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking into flying to Grenada end of January for the Workboat Regatta off Grand Anse returning 10 Feb and the damn schedule is a nightmare. We will have to overnight in Miami on the way out and back because our flight from Bermuda misses the connection in Miami on way out and also on way back. It's real pain in the you know what.

Any suggestions for hotel? I know there's an airport hotel which is actually connected to the airport has anyone stayed there? Review? Whilst I like the idea of arriving early in Grenada I hate having to overnight both ways especially on the way back because our flight to Bermuda leaves at 6pm which means a whole day wasted. Grrr!

Sun&Mangos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a hotel right in the Miami airport called the Miami International Airport Hotel. It's in Concourse E (right next to D where the American flights arrive and you clear customs and reclaim your bags). I stayed there this month after not being able to make a connection to my home airport after American changed their Grenada flights. I've actually stayed there a couple of times and, while the rooms are small, it is more than adequate for a night's stay (safe, clean and soundproof). The room rate includes a voucher to eat breakfast at the Margaritaville Restaurant next to the hotel's lobby.

I sent a complaint letter to American Airlines after my recent return from Grenada because of their flight time changes. The staff in the Grenada airport said the changes had been made so that AA's flight crew will no longer have to overnight on the island. It seems to me that inconveniencing several hundred passengers for the sake of 4 or 5 crew members makes no sense. Perhaps AA will pay attention to our concern if we ALL send them a letter. Notes can be addressed to:

Sean Bentel
Vice President, Customer Relations
4333 Amon Carter Blvd.
Fort Worth, Texas 76155
sean.bentel@aa.com
Bermuda Onion
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent him an email setting out the problems with the connections following the new flight times but I doubt it will do any good, when has ANY airline sought to be convenient for the passengers?!
Jotum
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we went down in Feb we had driven to Miami and left our car at the Airport Marriott (paid through cheapO parking instead of Marriott at about 1/3 the rate). Hotel was fine with a free shuttle. I think there is a Courtyard on the same property.
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jotum said: It seems to me that inconveniencing several hundred passengers for the sake of 4 or 5 crew members makes no sense.

Yep, that's how United thinks.........

I second the info on Miami Intntl Airport Hotel. Rooms and halls a bit dated, but comfortable and convenient. And the Air Margaritaville restaurant right opposite hotel check-in definitely is good and fun. Yes you get a breakfast voucher per person for a limited menu, but good food. Air Margaritaville also provides the hotel's room service! Also, a few steps away, a Subway.

jimsaint

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll third the Miami International Hotel. Very convenient.
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At SunandMango's suggestion I wrote to Sean Bentel at American Airlines and here is my email.

Good Afternoon Mr. Bentel,

My husband (AA Gold) and I (plus several of our friends) are regular visitors to Grenada. We are extremely upset about the recent flight changes both to and from Grenada. We travel from Bermuda via Miami and our flight from Bermuda arrives too late to make the connection on the way down to Grenada with the recent flight change and likewise our flight from Grenada now arrives in Miami too late to make the connection on the way back to Bermuda. This will necessitate our arriving in Miami late morning on the way out and having to waste an entire day in Miami and an overnight stay at an airport hotel in order to reach Grenada the next day on the way back we will also have to overnight in Miami and waste a complete day before catching our early evening flight back to Bermuda the next day. I understand from US friends that this affects them too as the MIA-GND flight now leaves too early for them to make the connection necessitating an overnight stay the night before and the same problem occurs on the way back.

Is this flight change permanent? We understand that it has been implemented so that flight crew do not have to overnight in Grenada but what about the passengers? Surely having the flight crew overnight in Grenada is preferable to inconveniencing hundreds of loyal AA passengers?

Today I received the following email from someone called Martha Riger.

Dear Mrs. Woolgar:

I saw your email to Mr. Bentel and know you are looking for a quick response. I'm here to help.

We very much appreciate the time you took to send us your suggestion about our schedules to and from Grenada. Your idea certainly has merit and it clearly reflects the thought that went into it.

It is always helpful for us to consider our service from our customers' perspective. We try to be responsive to our customers and carefully analyze trend information based upon their reactions. We continually evaluate such opportunities against others, and we have documented your suggestion.

Our aim is to suit the needs and wishes of the majority of our customers. As we determine the appropriate action in this regard, your preferences will be considered. Thank you, Mrs. Woolgar, for giving us the benefit of your observations.

Sincerely,

Martha Riger

Customer Relations

American Airlines

I'm not sure she got my point! Sounds like a stock answer to me but at least it was an answer!

sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there is a small piece of hope.
caribbeangirl
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yada, yada, yada, here's some words to make you feel good
Bermuda Onion
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also written to Grenada Tourism Board to see if that does any good because I figure their tourist numbers will drop. I've looked at connecting flights from other east coast hubs ie JFK, BOS, ATL and flights from those airports are routed through Miami and in order to arrive in Miami in time to catch the 10.45am flight to Grenada passengers would need to catch flights from these hubs leaving at 6.00am or overnight at the airports in order to make the early morning flight.

Looks very much like hubby and I plus two friends will not be visiting Grenada for the Workboat Regatta in 2018 due entirely to this schedule change and the fact that we will have to spend a full day and night in Miami on the way out and a night and full day on the way back plus staying overnight on the way back whichever hotel we choose will probably have a check out around noon and our flight to Bermuda does not leave until 6pm.

casteve
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caribbeangirl wrote:
yada, yada, yada, here's some words to make you feel good

heh - that sums it up. :)

Over deliver
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the Tourist Board and the airlines will start seeing money drops. Writing the Airlines is more than likely not going to change much . Once Hotels and tourist companies start complaining I think thing might change. IWJ should write themselves to the Grenada tourist board . It use to take me about 12- 13 hours to get to Grenada. This now has increased to 25 hours/two days. One has to think if it is that hard to get there isn't there a easier vacation. Once your start multiplying /times this by the number in your family I starts adding up quickly. I am set for my next trip on Vela in Dec. 2017 in St Lucia . Them I will have to see what will be next. I am lucky. I use Newark first and Philly second. I hate going to JFK even though it had a direct flight to Grenada but Ill might have to investigate that and suck t up and look into JKF and taking a shuttle there from Newark Airport. Wish it was so hard to get to Grenada and Diamant.

[/url]
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked at JFK and they have flights into Grenada . It might work out using JFK instead of Miami. Caribbean Airlines is the carrier. The cost might be more but you wouldn't have to stay in a hotel in Miami . Fi, there are shuttle service between JFK and Newark and the other airports. One of the flights I saw was a red eye into Grenada too. Arriving at 0830 am

[/url]
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that IWJ should speak up....probably already have or it is in the works. Liz is no dummy! Grenada definitely will feel the pinch. But if Grenada is blase' then maybe a new home for Diamant?? Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Brethren of the Coast All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: