The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help for a newbie
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Diamant Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vicki with a V

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
No "R" in May. NO LOBSTER

Well poo...

hunger

Hotair

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Grenada Reply with quote

Check out Grenada Explorer web site.
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

web page for Grenada explore . http://www.grenadaexplorer.com/

[/url]
caribbeangirl
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor Vikki, no R.
Vicki with a V

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caribbeangirl wrote:
Poor Vikki, no R.

lol....I will just have to make sure next time I go in a month with an R in it...

Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky, this picture is for you. Paid this guy 10.00 for this beauty. We ate him for lunch the next day. This was in St Vincent

[/url]
Shellback

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yow! I step away for a few days R&R and the Diamant forum boils over.

Mostly I want to reinforce what others have advised, but there are a few points I want to emphasize. When you are on Grenada, get Chris of Chris Tours & Taxi to take you wherever you want to go. He will work with you via email and is prompt. If you can connect with one of his around-the-island tours, go out of your way to join. It's worth it. One of the places he will take you is THE NOT-TO-BE-MISSED Jouvay chocolate factory in Victoria. If you like chocolate, prepare an extra bag for take-home.

I always get local currency. If you deal with USD you are subject to the vendor's ad hoc calculation of the exchange rate. It is also a courtesy to the people there and some more remote places don't do credit cards. I had to learn that the hard way. ATM's are available in St. Georges. On board expenses, goods and tips, can all be handled by credit card just before you disembark.

When you get to Mayreau, be sure to take the hike over the hill to Salt Whistle Bay.

Cabin 3 on Diamant should be the mirror image of Cabin 2, where we were in January. There was room for everything we packed, including my snorkel gear. One heads-up: there is a step down as you turn right after entering cabin 2, and I expect cabin 3, being symmetric, will have the same. My wife missed it on the first afternoon and got some colorful bruises.

Regarding toiletries, I can't advise since I always pack my own, including hand sanitizer. As for clothes, I washed my alternate swim shorts and saved a clean T-shirt for the Captain's Formal Ball. Didn't need to. :D

Like others we each have a microfiber towel. They have a lot of miles on them and have gathered sand from a lot of beaches. I carry a bungee cord with old fashioned clothes pins for in-cabin drying.

Check reviews on TripAdvisor for what some of us have posted - for that and for many other attractions. When you get back I would like to hear your impressions of the Radisson. We are booked there early next year.

Have a terrific time --- and take photos. I brought back 1000 from just one week. We review them every couple of weeks.

sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope that R&R involved beach, sand, water, at least!
Second that re Chris of Chris Tours and Taxi...and second that re the Jouvay Chocolate Factory. Good man, good stuff!
Good info for newbies and even for the seasoned, Shellback.....

Shellback

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thought, but this R&R was land based. However beach, sand, salt water in a calm lagoon, the occasional beverage, and the Southern Cross overhead are four weeks in my future. Not connected to this forum.

As you seem to relish tall ships, here's one that was lying off Tobago Cays early this year as we passed by on Diamant. I recognized the Dutch flag, but the vessel's name was not visible. Found out at home that it's the Stad Amsterdam. Sounds ultra luxurious. That's a synonym for expensive, I think. I'll stick with IWJ. Also got a photo of QM2 when we were broadside to her in Basseterre over four years ago. There is your epitome of a seagoing city! Most impressive, but not for me.

Calm seas and clear skies...

sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She's pretty, but IWJ still rules!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Diamant Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: