The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windjammer Barefoot Cruises: Is this topic taboo?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
suzyqrocks

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:36 pm    Post subject: Windjammer Barefoot Cruises: Is this topic taboo? Reply with quote

My apologies if the subject is taboo...
I had previously sailed Windjammer Barefoot Cruises several times years ago. I obviously will not be doing that again.

We have recently booked a trip on Sagitta in November.
My questions are as follows:
How are the two different?
How are the two similar?
Is there anything (other than size) that is vastly different?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!
Saucy Secretary O The Sea

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Windjammer Barefoot Cruises: Is this topic taboo? Reply with quote

suzyqrocks wrote:
My apologies if the subject is taboo...
I had previously sailed Windjammer Barefoot Cruises several times years ago. I obviously will not be doing that again.

We have recently booked a trip on Sagitta in November.
My questions are as follows:
How are the two different?
How are the two similar?
Is there anything (other than size) that is vastly different?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

Hi Suzy,

VASTLY different? Probably not. You will note both differences and similarities.

Island Windjammers seeks to provide very laid-back, informal, leisurely cruise experience without the crowds you find on larger ships. With Island Windjammers, you will not have a bar tab (ie. no doubloons), no risque games (unless your guest companions start one), onboard music offerings have been updated (think Buffett, Zack Brown, etc.) and you can also bring a selection of music on your I-Pad to share. Depending on sea conditions, swimming from the ship and the rope swing are popular (Captain will give the okay) Some of the crew may be from the former Windjammer Barefoot company - others will be new friends you've yet to meet. Evening entertainment is usually up to the guests to initiate - with a maximum of 24 passengers, it is easy to gather a group for cards, pirate farkle, or other activities ... or simply grab a cold beverage and watch the sun set while discussing that day's explorations.

Hope this helps -- have a cold one on me and kick back and enjoy!

Saucy Secretary
Tim
Privateer

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference:
No doubloons
Nicer cabins
Friendlier crews
Insured ships
Advanced navigation and communication equipment
Less raunchy activities
Free beer, wine, swizzles and you can BYO (some mixers available)
Ships much better maintained
Excellent meal service
More help with finding hotels and transportation
Outstanding port service
Smaller more personal ships
Exceptional management
Things the same:
Many of the same passengers that sailed with WBC
Great adventures and super fun
Always interesting new people to meet and make friends with
Outstanding ports

sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no, WBC is not taboo! Many of us here attribute our love of tall ships and tall ship sailing to WBC. Many of the crewmembers on the IWJ ships are former WBC, even a former WBC captain: Captain Matt (who, by the way, captains Sagitta part of the year).

One difference I find is that WBC was more party hearty, some might say raunchy? But then most of us were a whole lot younger then! LOL. Another diff: not some many of the younger singles (20s). There are family cruises in June/July, but mostly the ships draw passengers from 30s-70s, even 80s---singles, couples, small groups.....but always a fun lot.

A BIG diff: all drinks on board are included (beer, rum, sodas, water), and if you want to bring on your own: no problem, mon!

IWJ: ships are fabulous, but smaller. Captains and crews are loads of fun and highly qualified. Cabins are quite nice (ranging from small to spacious, at least from tall ship standards), all with their own A/C and 95% with their own bathrooms (a few single cabins on some of the ships). Good food, rum, fun: all there!

There are some diffs in the IWJ ships: First off, Sagitta is a motorsailer and does not have sails up much. Diamant and Vela sail, lots.

Diamant is the "little diamond" and my favorite. So sleek and recently refurbed. Don't let the fact she only carries 10 scare you. We've sailed her 4x, and always a fun lot. She only has one itinerary: the Windwards. She has no single cabins, but singles welcome in shared cabin. Cabins are newly refurbed, and very nice, with good stowage. Inside and out, she is a beauty.

Vela is the newest of the "island girls", about a year and a half in IWJ service after a year of major refurb to IWJ standards. She is a bit rugged in looks (external and on deck)--more like a pirate ship: I sometimes say she looks from afar kinda like the Black Pearl, only in white. And oh, can she can cut through the waves. And she carries 26, altho her standard cabins are quite "cozy." Pack light is really important on Vela unless you get one of her larger cabins, such as captain's and owner's and the two aft cabins. She has several itineraries.

Sagitta carries 24, and to my way of thinking, she's more bulky in looks. Probably because she began life as a fishing boat and was converted. She's slower than Diamant and Vela with sails up, so motoring is more her style. She has very nicely appointed cabins and outdoor areas and some very nice itineraries.

Each "island girl" has a happy hour, like WBC did, and the chefs do wonders with happy hours snacks and, of course, rum punch. On Diamant, it's called Rummagedon. On Sagitta, they're Sagittaritas, and on Vela: Velacoladas. Whatever you call em, they are still rum punch, and they DO pack a punch!

If you want to ask about or talk about WBC ships, trips or memories, you are MORE than welcome to do so. That's what the Brethern of the Coast section on the Shanty is for. Shantyites have been known to post photos from those days, and we are always ready to raise a toast to Captain Mike Burke and what he started and maintained for so long.

IWJ is doing a fantastic job of keeping that dream alive, with passengers happy and safe a very big goal. Each ship goes out of service a portion of each year for an annual "spa treatment," so they stay shipshape!

Do some searches here, and you can find lots of info: re individual IWJ or WBC ships. Some recent photos of Mandalay have been posted here, the only former IWJ ship still sailing.

Last edited by sailorJM on Wed May 24, 2017 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh, Tim, you are so much more succinct than I was!! giggle
Tim
Privateer

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But JM your writing is much more entertaining and well written. One note: Sagitta was never a fishing boat. It was a laundry ship in the Swedish Navy. It was the only one ever to function in that category.
Fiddi Angermeyer converted it to a sailing tour boat for the Galapagos. It may not be the fastest sailing ship in the fleet but it does sail and considering all it sails well plus it has two screws. It also has an exceptional amount of passenger space including the bar lounge and almost private library area. The cabins and heads are cruise ship spacy and passenger deck space is outstanding. Some of the regulars think of it as their favorite ship. It is a solid safe ship and a hell of a lot of fun.
I have my vodka in the reefer would you mind mixing me one with tonic por favor. Gracias!

suzyqrocks

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all so much for your info!
I am however, a little disappointed to hear that the sails are seldom in use.
Alas, I shall be sailing again, so I am more than certain that I will overcome my current disappointment.

Side Bar: I must have been on a couple of fairly tame WBC cruises. I never thought at any time that things got overly raunchy. Of course, I have been told (more than once) that have a pretty dirty mind, so it would take a lot shock me!

If anyone has anything more to add, please feel free!
Thanks again!
Tim
Privateer

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure where the thought the Sagitta does not sail comes from but the times I have been on it for sure it was sails up as much as the others.
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here are two more picture. plus I sent you a "PM". I see the Sagitta is sailing the leewards in Nov. sorry cannt comment on these islands. havent been there YET. Ask away we are there to help. Paul

[/url]

Last edited by Paul on Wed May 24, 2017 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I sailed on Sagitta, she very seldom sailed. Mostly motor. And I have been told by others over time that this was the norm for her. Sorry if I mislead. Rolling Eyes

But guaranteed: sail with IWJ and you'll have fun!

WBC and raunchy: that is definitely what I'd call my sail on Polynesia in 2005. Very, very raunchy. And I've never heard of anyone on an IWJ ship mooning passing ships. giggle giggle

voyager
Navigator

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's okay to remember!

7500 sunrises yet to go make every last one of them count!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> The Yardarm All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: