The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sailing Sagitta FWI August 20-26, 2017
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Sagitta Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nancydunlap

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:50 am    Post subject: Sailing Sagitta FWI August 20-26, 2017 Reply with quote

A group of 8 of us will be sailing Sagitta August 20-26 to celebrate my daughter's 40th birthday! Who will be joining us??
LGM

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Sailing Sagitta August 20-26 Reply with quote

My husband and I are sailing with you. This is our first voyage/adventure and we are so excited!! We are a couple weeks early, but celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary (Our second marriage and have a 40 year old daughter as well). How exciting that you are with your family. Here's to rockin' and rollin'.
See you soon - Linda :)
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be prepared to have so much fun!
Great ships, amazing crews, wonderfully friendly passengers.....and no crowds, no lines, no hassles!

Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LGM . ANY QUESTIONS . PLS ASK

[/url]
LGM

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: a couple of newbie questions Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
LGM . ANY QUESTIONS . PLS ASK

Hi Paul :
A couple of questions:
1. Should I plan to have a lightweight line of sorts to hang wet clothing in our room?
2. When at port, my husband and I look forward to doing some snorkeling/swimming. I have read that we should not leave anything unattended on the beach. What are your suggestions if we are both in the water at the same time?
3. What are the end of cruise etiquette recommendations for tipping and such to the crew?
4. What questions from newbies do you wish they would have asked before sailing?

I am sure more will come up, but as someone completely new to this, any suggestions are most welcome.

Thank you
Linda
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LGM, I would go to the Sea shanty site and start reading older posts. They are full of information. Use both Sagitta and Vela they both sail the same area of the Carribbean. I am sure you will have other give answers too :

1. You could string a line in your room but the room all have good/great working a/c. Don't know how much or long the drying will take. I bring something called a cloth stop. Shirt piece of string and use it to tie on the riggings of the ship. Doesnt take long to dry. I only use this method to dry my towel and swim shorts. Sailed the Diamant twice and the Vela for 12 days and there wasn't a problem. You could always check with he captain. Needlessly to say I am not hanging my underwear up there. Ha ha In the heat of the Caribbean it doesnt take long to dry a towel.

Going to the beach. You will go to the beach in a group and your shipmates will look out for your stuff. You will only be taking money that you will be spending for the day. Like to buy t shirts or drinks. Leave your big diamond ring at home and all your gold. I have never had any problems on my trips. I have done about 14 of these vacations. I have never heard of it happening either. No to say I don't watch myself. Again best to stay with a group.

Tipping : when you see how ard the crew works to keep you happy and enjoying your trip you will know how much to tip them. IWJ web site recommends 10% per person. THESE GUYS EARN EVERY CENT OF IT. I usually give more than 10 %. think of it this way . You are on the ship for 6 days and eating 18 meals but snacks plus many other items and this is your only time to thanks them.

If you are going to the French West Indies you will need Euros. they don't take dollars. the rest of the Caribbean uses dollars. PACK LIGHT. PACK LIGHT . Bring your own bug protection. I get the one with the most deet. Like I said read the older posts.

I am a retired sailor/Navy and it doesnt take much to make be happy.

We have all learn and are more than willing to share with you. Pls, ask and we will help

Plan on having a great time. You will understand why a lot of us are repeat sailors. I sail again in Dec for 12 days on the Vela.

again pack light.

Paul

[/url]
voyager
Navigator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WalMart back to school sale. Buy some composition books, pencils, erasers and pens and rulers... Visit an island school! $10 here is $50 there. Bring a binder for the teacher...$2.50 Whoppeee! Teach! I do all the time.

Share who and what you are. True tourists are open to sharing their culture as well as seeing a new one.

If your itinerary includes Nevis, and you are on the island on a Sunday there is a great Episcopal Church near Sunshines. Get the massage...sports massage. I grew 2" for a short time again! whistling The people on the islands will welcome you even if you are in shorts. That's true on any of the islands. I go to the Catholic Church in Grenada which is on Grand Anse Beach.

Enjoy a sunset on the fantail with someone you love. beach love hug moonlitwater
Make new friends guy hug
Have one on me cheers
SPF 50 and Deet liberally tanning (I've had melanoma)
Greet the day early and smell the coffee and sticky buns good morning say hello to the crew and chef Get to know them!
Let the lapping of the water against hull lull you to sleep countingsheep
Find one use it don't fall out of it hammock
Grenada Chocolate Company Chocolatebunny
NO SHOES moonwalk
shower with DEET
the crew are funny, listen rolling
Maybe popcorn
Don't over do the swizzles very ill
Make some memories photo and come back again... there are three ships tallship2
Blush on those French isles not the British shake it! sleazy
Act like newly weds wedding
Stay safe, have fun, but no pegleg
A definite no argue
Be mellow cocktail
Noone is looking at your suit swimproblem

Above all: party band eatmeal
and don't drink Tequila Sunrises

I'm different. Your experience may vary mogguh

7500 sunrises yet to go make every last one of them count!

sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another tip:
Go to islandwindjammers.com and click on Plan Your Cruise.
Lots of very useful info there, including info on tipping.

LGM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Thank you thank you!! Reply with quote

i appreciate all of the tips😉 I have been reading through The Sea Shanty and the planning guides. Glad to hear staying in a group is good planning. We truly enjoy sharing adventures and building relationships/diving deep into culture and knowing how to be respectful in return. Thank you[/img]
nancydunlap

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LGM ... Look forward to sailing with you and your hubby! Looks like we are going to have a great group sailing. Our group of folks are a combination of friends I worked with and have previously sailed with, my daughter, a friend I met onboard the Vela who is also bringing her daughter, and a work friend of my daughter who is bringing her sister (their first sailing) ... 7 women and 1 man (poor Lee!)

Paul has pretty much answered all the questions you had. I personally have never had ANY issues leaving my stuff on the beaches we will visit while we swim and snorkel. The beaches we typically visit are small and fairly secluded ... and where we snorkel to is just off the areas where we leave our stuff .. and someone from our group is usually lounging on the beach so stuff isn't typically left alone for long.

I cannot stress enough just how little you will need to bring onboard. Drawer/shelving space is very limited. And if you are lucky enough to get any sort of a clothes rack, it will be SMALL, and honestly not needed. So plan to pack very light ... and only clothes that are extremely light weight (to dry in the wind). I typically pack a couple of bathing suits, 2-3 pairs shorts/tanks, a couple of very casual sun dresses (they are cooler to me than shorts and nice if/when I get too much sun) and some pjs. Bring some sort of beach bag to put your stuff in when going to a beach. IT IS AUGUST IN THE CARIBBEAN ... IT WILL BE HOT! And because of the heat and potential storms that time of year ... you can expect less crowds (which is wonderful) ... but then, of course, the beaches and little towns we will visit are NEVER REALLY CROWDED!

Hope this helps ... feel free to ask if I can help any further. If not, I will see you in one month!!

Nancy D.
LGM

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Nancy-
Such great information. Lee and my husband Weeb should get along quite well. My list to bring on board sounds very similar to yours. I too like light weight dresses vs shorts.. I typically chill in evening and wind so will attempt to prepare lightly for that as well.

It is hard to believe how quickly the date is coming. So very excited to meet you all. Life is good. Thank you for all the helpful advice

Take care and safe travels.
Linda
voyager
Navigator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
-- Nancy Dunlop: I personally have never had ANY issues leaving my stuff on the beaches we will visit while we swim and snorkel. The beaches we typically visit are small and fairly secluded ... and where we snorkel to is just off the areas where we leave our stuff .. and someone from our group is usually lounging on the beach so stuff isn't typically left alone for long.

LEAVE YOUR BLING AT HOME. SNATCH AND GRAB photo CAN HAPPEN AND GROUP WATCH PREVENTS MOST PROBLEMS!

On a lighter note: If there is a tour on Dominica that gets you into the lava tubes for a cool swim followed by a HOT SHOWER...DO IT

7500 sunrises yet to go make every last one of them count!

Wendy123

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Ahoy! Reply with quote

My husband, Cory and I are sailing aboard the Sagitta Aug.20-26. We are SO excited!
nancydunlap

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendy123 ... GREAT! Look forward to meeting you and Cory!! Is this your first sailing, or are you an old pro? Either way ... it will be GREAT!
Wendy123

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:49 pm    Post subject: NOT a pro Reply with quote

This is the first time sailing on a small ship for both of us. Totally looking forward to it. I'm going to have a hard time packing light... We are staying for a couple of days after we disembark just to see St. Lucia. Have you been to Marigot Bay before? Looks beautiful on You tube, ha!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Sagitta Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: