The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sailing Sagitta FWI August 20-26, 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Sagitta Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nancydunlap

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendy123 ... YES, I have stayed in Marigot Bay several times, but for just for one night prior to boarding the ship. I always stay at the Marigot Beach Club and Dive Resort (not to be confused with the CAPELLA Marigot Bay Resort ... which from all accounts is great and beautiful, but out of my price range)! You will find Marigot Bay absolutely stunning ... and most of the room views from the Marigot Resort and Dive club provide a hillside view of the bay which is simply magnificent. This area is very quiet, so if you are looking for nightlife, you might want to stay elsewhere, possibly in Rodney Bay (another marina area which is where IWJ ships used to dock). But I prefer this area. The resort is only accessible by a little wooden boat that ferries you across the water to the resort ... just a short 5 minute ride). Just a different sort of place than you may have visited before, which I prefer. Since our ship will also dock right in the Bay, you will be able to see it probably the evening before we board (which always gets me even more excited about sailing on her the following day). FYI you will need to wait until Sunday to get onboard since the crew will be busy getting her busy to reboard with the new set of passengers ... but seeing her sitting in the bay the day prior to boarding is always fun for me.

When are you flying in? Two of our group is flying in mid-afternoon on Saturday, and are looking for other Sagitta shipmates to share the shuttle from the airport to Marigot Bay. FYI, the transfer from the airport is about 90 minutes drive ... and the cost is typically about $75 shared by the number of people in the van ... so sharing is always significantly cheaper. I believe my friends flight gets in around 2:30 on an American Airlines flight. Just in case you are interested.

Looking forward to meeting you and your hubby!

Nancy D.
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marigot Bay is so pretty, so nice. Good restaurants. And lots of amazing boats!
We stay at Marigot Bay Beach Club and love it. The bay area is a wonderful place to kayak!

mcdory

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: anybody want to share the ride from UVF airport on 8/19? Reply with quote

Good afternoon fellow sailors,

my daughter and I are part of Nancy Dunlap's gang and will be arriving at the international airport on Saturday, August 19, with an ETA of 2:29 pm. As most of you may know by now, transportation costs $70 per vehicle to Marigot Bay. If anyone has booked transportation around that time of day and would like to split the cost with two more riders, count us in! Also, if anyone needs a ride around that time, let's join forces and book a van together.

Let's save money together!

We look forward to meeting our fellow travelers.

Cloudy & Kelly

PS: We will be going from Marigot Bay to Souffriere after our disembarkation on Saturday, August 26, in case anyone wants to carpool then as well.
mcdory

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:18 am    Post subject: Towel Tip - make it a Turkish one! Reply with quote

A beach towel is a must, but leave your terry cloth type versions at home. If you want a light weight, highly absorbent towel, plan on bringing a Turkish towel. I saw a crew member use one of these when I was onboard Vela and tried it when I was on Sagitta and let me tell you, it's the way to go. Quick drying too and uses up little space! Give it a try. Totally worth it.

Cloudy
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! Turkish towel or pareo is the way to go! Light weight and dry fast.
Wendy123

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: question for my husband Reply with quote

Nancy, we are also staying at the Marigot Bay Beach Club and Dive Resort. I do have one question for anyone who is a crew member aboard an Island Windjammer ship-- My husband likes to smoke a pipe and is wondering if he may do this on board (not in our cabin, of course, but on deck?)

We would love to share a transfer with anyone arriving around 2:30 on Saturday afternoon!

And thanks for the tip about the Turkish towels--hadn't even thought about that and I'm definitely going to look into a couple.
mcdory

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: question for my husband Reply with quote

"My husband likes to smoke a pipe and is wondering if he may do this on board (not in our cabin, of course, but on deck?)"

To answer your question Wendy123, smoking is allowed outside on the back of the ship (stern) up on deck.

Cloudy
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wendy you can order Turkish towels from Amazon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Sagitta Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: