The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pirate Mateys?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Vela Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caribbeangirl
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's hope it becomes a non-event.
Tazcat

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Great pirates week! But stuck in grenada for a week! Reply with quote

Great trip, great crew and passengers. We had an awesome time, BUT American Airlines has really failed us for getting back to U.S. We all understand that Irma happened but We are still here on Grenada a week later. Decided to buy tix on another airline to get home!
Cannot understand how they couldnt put us on different airlines or reroute us to different airports. Ate up funds for our next trip!!
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! AA stinks!!

Did you have trip insurance? If so, file for reimbursement of your plane tickets.

Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always get travel insurance. I am wondering how much were you able to claim. In 1981 I was station I the Navy in San Diego and travelled to Fla for a vacation. The air controller went on strike and were fired and I had a heck of of time getting back to SD. Understand but I was aleast in the USA. What did you do camp out at the airport ?

[/url]
remimc

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I have to comment here. I think some of us are losing perspective ............. have you seen the pictures of the total destruction? Seen how many people have lost everything they own? In the big scheme of things, I do not see how being stranded in Grenada (hopefully on the beach with a rum punch) is anything to be upset about.
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AA's big base is in Miami, and AA has taken a big hit re trying to get everyone somewhere else. Be they trying to get out or trying to get in. That was a reason we postponed our sail (last week) on Vela, expecting that even if the Windwards were ok (yay!), that getting home would be hard to do. I know it's gotta frustrating to be stuck and paying extra, but hopefully, you have trip insurance. Rum, more rum!
jimsaint

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From The NY Times: Hurricane Irma’s Vast Destruction in the Caribbean, Building by Building

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Back in US after a great cruise Reply with quote

We finally made it home. Booked travel through Barbados just to get home sooner. Our original AA flights kept being postponed due to the impact in Miami and I could not wait any longer. (though there are worse places to be stuck)
AA did refund my return trip, which was good. Now I just have to deal with insurance related to other costs.

But... the cruise... it was AWESOME. This was our first experience on a windjammer style cruise and I now understand why folks say they'll never cruise on the large mega-ships again.

Too bad the ship didn't have another cruise scheduled while we were stuck. I would have booked another week instead of staying a week in a hotel.

We had super shipmates and a great crew. All pirates at heart and we definitely had a 'Pirate Week' not a 'Pirate Day'.

I can't wait to do another cruise. I'm hooked.
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now THAT is awesome..that despite all the hassles off the ship, you are ready to go again. Who was the captain for your week?
Tazcat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: vela 9/3/2017 trip Reply with quote

The weather was perfect where we were, but getting out WAS a hassle. We were supposed to fly out on American Air to Miami. Well, since Irma hit Miami, that didn't fly, so to speak. Flight cancelled a couple times.
Spent an extra week on Grenada with our Pirate mates and had a great time.
hoping they all made it home safely.

American didn't seem inclined to get us back to U.S.. We ended up purchasing tickets on United to get home though a different route.

Great Pirate week, even though we missed having the Diamant sail with us. Guess most everyone on her postponed.
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would have been fun....except the hassle. I had a major stress-related temporary amnesia episode a year ago and ended up in hospital for 2 days, so we opted to postpone sailing with you that week, concerned that even if sailing was great, the probable end-of-trip hassles could be too stressful.
RHARREL1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: We had Captain Ponchoo for the week. Reply with quote

One of the things that I discovered is that you actually have time to get to know your captain and crew. There were several time where I sat and talked Capt Ponchoo about his life growing up fishing and being a captain. He's has an interesting life.

Our Ops Managers were Leah and Andrew. They did a great job of laying out the days activities and pointing us to the best snorkeling spots.

When we got back to Grenada, Leah called around and secured us hotel rooms which remove some of the stress caused by all the flight cancellations. At least we knew we had a place to stay. And since many of us stayed at the same resort, we just continued Pirate week on land.
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job!! Arrrrrrrggghhhh.
BCCrooke

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Pirate Mateys? Reply with quote

To my way of thinking, the following should be a required part of pirate week!

https://youtu.be/Vhph4GrLvE0

The crew on Diamant might recognize it from a prior adventure.
Barnacle Brian

Railmon Mike
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pirate Rock??!! Shiver me timbers - just when you think you've heard everything! Not too bad but methinks the traditional sea shanties sound better. And if you're bored go on Youtube & look at some of the shanties there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Vela Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: