The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Puntarenas Province, Costa Rica Mini Tour

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Islands from A to Z
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Puntarenas Province, Costa Rica Mini Tour Reply with quote

Puntarenas Province, Costa Rica Mini Tour

This presentation is a little spread out. The pictures were taken on a cruise on the Amazing Grace., Captain Jorge in command. It starts with pictures taken on the ride to the anchorage from the Capital San Jose, then some of a jungle tour, with a stop later on a bridge to view crocodiles and finally the wonderland of Drakes Bay. Golfito is in the province but I elected to do that interesting port separately. I will end with an island in Panama only a single picture but in hope Destin Bradwell will share his stunning underwater pictures with us. The Island name translated from Spanish is something like “The Little Island of Gold”. The little island has the best snorkeling I have ever seen. Destin proved himself to be one who would do anything for a picture. A favorite of mine is a picture he took swimming with hundreds of Barracuda. I bought the CD he made of the cruise and am thrilled to have it.

A little about Costa Rica. The official language is Spanish but English is taught and spoken by many, the currency is the Colon, 575 to one USD and climbing. Bring a wheelbarrow for change if you give the bartender a US 20 and get change in colon. You will get about 10,000.

Tourism has replaced bananas as the product of the country. You have to love a stable democracy that has no army. The people are very pleasant and most of Spanish origin. All I met were very friendly and enjoyable company.

Eco tourists will love the country but those not partial to mosquitoes, crocks and high humidity perhaps not as much. I loved and enjoyed most of all I saw but the Jungle tour we renamed “The mud road to hell”. Those who only brought a single pair of shoes truly embraced barefoot cruising.

A note about the crocks, our first view of them gave the impression they stationary and very slow. They just lay in the mud of the river but when chicken parts were brought from a restaurant at the end of the bridge and thrown down to the crocks they went wild. I recall a moment of total fear when a parent hoisted a small child on their shoulders the bridge rail was very low and the parent wobbled along the edge.

The sea life in the area was amazing. We saw whales several times and some on the boat witnessed swordfish dancing on the surface. It was an adventure trip well worth the expense. I would love to do it again and pray Captain Jorge will get a ship we might sail on in the area.

Tim
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more

Last edited by Tim on Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Tim
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more
Tim
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more
Tim
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more
Tim
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more
Tim
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more
Tim
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Islands from A to Z All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: