The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seamanship...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Brethren of the Coast
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skod
Nerd Without Portfolio MODERATOR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Seamanship... Reply with quote

A little tale of seamanship from when Cindy and I were aboard Diamant just before Christmas: we were anchored off Turtle Beach at the tiny island of Baradel in the Tobago Cays. We'd all just come back aboard from snorkeling with the turtles, and were enjoying a nice swizzle and the company of our fellow voyagers, watching the other boats pull out as sunset neared. There's about a 2-kt current ripping through there, once you are out well away from the beach where we were anchored. A young boy was sighted a few yards off the port side, clearly in distress and struggling in vain against the current: apparently he'd decide to swim back to his boat, unaware of the hazard. He was too exhausted to yell for help, or even to answer the question "Are you in trouble?". The call immediately went out, and a life ring was immediately thrown. And I'd say that well within 1 minute of the initial sighting Captain Nervo and Aubrey had the exhausted boy pulled safely into the dinghy and were off upcurrent, returning him to his boat.

They were gone for quite a while. The funny part of the story (that we heard afterwards) is that the poor kid didn't speak a lick of English, Spanish, or Island. It took them quite a while to locate the correct boat by hand signals and various pidgin language improvisations, but they did. I think they might have had to visit three-quarters of the boats in the anchorage to do it.

It is an immutable law of the sea that mariners rescue those in need. The captain and crew's response was seamless, immediate, and perfectly executed. I'm proud as hell to know them!

GeorgiaGirl
Privateer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great story. Cheers to Capt Nervo & Aubrey!
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diamant rocks!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Brethren of the Coast All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: