The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Frequently Repeated Friday

View previous topic :: View next topic  

WHich winter do you remember as your worse locally?
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
15%
 15%  [ 2 ]
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
2010 Snow Megedon
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Palm Sunday, 1943
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
53%
 53%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 13

voyager
Navigator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Frequently Repeated Friday Reply with quote

Quote:
A.Word.A.Day™
with Anu Garg

reticent

PRONUNCIATION:
(RET-i-suhnt)

MEANING:
adjective:
1. Reluctant to share one's thoughts and feelings.
2. Restrained or unwilling.

ETYMOLOGY:
From Latin reticere (to keep silent), from tacere (to be silent). Earliest documented use: 1825.

USAGE:
"Lester is usually among the more reticent Red Sox, so a statement from him falling somewhere between candid and brash rates as a surprise."
Gabe Lacques; Red Sox's Jon Lester; USA Today (Washington, DC); Jan 25, 2011.

I really am reticent to bring up winter one more time,

but argue scream here we are another weekend of sub-freezing temps.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/bal-life-changing-snow-pg,0,6372352.photogallery

It could be Snowmageddon 2010, which I largely missed;

Thanks to AA little plane cancellations

Tim and I suffered four additional days of:

Fun tanning swimproblem beach love hammock

cheers with Neville and Sita eatmeal

Glad I booked Diamant; just hope Tim joins us on his #54 cruise

Too many of them are foofoos and not enuf tall ship

He certainly has enuf friends bugging him poke

So the poll question today is:

Which winter do you remember and hate the most? Explain in a post. How did you cope?

I've listed several years that have local and historic meaning here in the Bawlmer area.

Personally, the ice storms of 1993 were particularly rough here. Only 3 days of school for the entire month of January. School buses were unable to navigate or to get under weighed down power lines across the country roads in the Hereford Zone.

We ended the first semester without exams, grades were closed as of Christmas break (scary for some border line seniors) and extended both the days and times of school to get the state minimum of hours. Uck! barf

Fred Voyager

7500 sunrises yet to go make every last one of them count!

Tuck
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although '93 was pretty bad with the ice, 2010 topped it. Coming home from JU#2 to our 1/4 mile STEEP driveway covered in 3 FEET of snow and my Hummer/snowplow with 2 0ff-the-rim flat tires was AWFUL!
GeorgiaGirl
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say this year has been the worst weather of the 23 years we've lived in Atlanta. Not the most total snow but it has been the most "snow events" that paralyze the city. The the weather has been too cold for too long. If I wanted to have to wear a coat I would have stayed in Ohio! winter
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Tuck. 2010 was the pits. But then I remember an awful snow event back in the late 80s when I got snowed in at Dulles Airport for 2 days - the airport was a zoo. I was on the last plane that landed, and nothing was moving. No hotel room available so I spent the night in the airport. I finally got a hotel room the next day - an executive suite(didn't care since I was on an expense account). Tuck very nicely went to our local airport in the Landcruiser with chains and dug out my car (twas fun trying to tell him where I parked). To this day I absolutely hate Dulles Airport!!!!!

Whew!!! Is it 5:00 yet????? cocktail cocktail Just thinking about that horrible experience got my BP up.

IndianaCheeseHead
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in west central Wisconsin at the time, I remember January when we went 18 days straight when the temp. never got above 0 F; and wind chills as low as -50F. Somewhat unusual for that part of the state.
Bermuda Onion
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Fred,

Remember two months today we will be on our way to Grenada!!! tanning By 'we' I mean John and I and then you and TIM!!!

Is Bentley picking you up at the airport? I'm thinking that because our flights get in almost the same time we will be using the same transport!

skod
Nerd Without Portfolio MODERATOR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2003- five feet of snow overnight one night in march, here in Colorado. But before that, the real worst one was the blizzard of '78 in Boston. Had just moved there from sunny Arkansas, and that was an eye opener. The last of the plow piles didn't melt til June.
addy02
Buckos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: My memory Reply with quote

Blizzard of 1978

Moving back from Colorado, my Dad driving with me.....STUCK in St Louis for THREE days with I 70 totally SHUT down!!!!!!

Great time with my Dad.....but longgggggggggg way home in my Mustang with the little trailer behind.

Worst storm I have ever been caught up in.
GeorgiaGirl
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could I forget 78? We were living in Toledo, Ohio. I was very pregnant and had a due date that fell in the middle of 2 blizzards. I made it to the hospital less than 30 minutes before delivering. Think I just blanked that whole experience right out of my mind!
Octoberbabe
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blizzard of '78. Getting stuck inside with no heat with my family sealed my fate - I moved out and divorced him 2 weeks later. Although come to think of it, maybe it was the best/worst ever. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Di

[/url]
RumSunFun
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Octoberbabe wrote:
Blizzard of '78. Getting stuck inside with no heat with my family sealed my fate - I moved out and divorced him 2 weeks later. Although come to think of it, maybe it was the best/worst ever. Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Di

Good One!

1978...stuck at home with my parent & 2 brothers & 1 sister. We eventually all found our own corner of the house, to get away from each other. We had a close family but, rarely were we all home at the same time. Couldn't wait to escape! I remember shoveling the driveway multiple times, it kept drifting shut & was VERY deep! I moved to California in September of that year.
(what is wrong with me, that I came back to Ohio? Dumb ass!)
Bequia Beach Bum
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Middletown, Ohio for that '78 blitz. It was bad but only ranks 2nd on my list.

Winter of December 1969 in Northfield, VT. We had 66 inches of snow in 4 straight days. I never thought it would stop.

May we always have Fair Winds, Blue Skies and Smooth Seas
Saucy Secretary O The Sea

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I hadda think about this one ... winters kind of blur together. How I forgot the winter of 1978 really blows my mind tho'.

At the time I was working only part time, had 2 kids in preschool / grammar school, and a small livestock operation in my backyard. I was primarily in charge of snow removal (love, LOVE my snowblower) as well as keeping access open to my goats and my rabbit pens. To that end, we literally had snow blower paths running everywhere in the back yard!

That's also the year we acquired our GSD Vikki ... if memory serves, tonight would be the anniversary of that, in fact. We had snow on the ground up to 4' deep and long about 9 pm I had stepped out on the back porch to give a listen to the goat shed (one of my does was near her due date) when I heard the sound of struggling by the west set of rabbit cages. Slid into my mud boots and a vest, and hot-footed it down to the lower level. As I walked up on the bank of cages, I saw a dark shape messing with a cage door. Thinking it was my nextdoor neighbor's escape artist Kelly,(keeshund/husky cross) I walked up and wrapped my arms around her ribcage and picked her up. As I'm walking back with her, I'm whispering in her fur and trying to find her collar ... OOPS! no collar! ... and the fur didn't feel right! But it's not wiggling, or growling. Got to the garage and discovered I had a totally unknown dog in my arms ... DANG! that's not good! Got into the garage and got the door shut and let the dog go. Hummmm. Told the dog to sit ... it sat. Down ... it lay down. Put a spare goat collar on it and tied it to a lollicolumn in the garage and called the dog warden. Told Norm the warden that I'd caught the dog trying to break into my rabbit cages, molesting my critters and he came and fetched her up. Next day I called to see if they had a lead on where she belonged .. no reports of any GSDs missing. Soft-touch me, I called and put in a claim for her and retrieved her on Valentine's day.

Oh, and my goat had triplets a few days later.

Yup, the winter of 78-79 was pretty memorable.

Saucy
IndianaCheeseHead
Privateer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get this poem every winter & every winter I love re-reading it.

It's a beautiful poem and very well written.

I thought it might be a comfort to you and help warm things up; it was to me!

“Winter”
A poem by Abigail Elizabeth McIntyre

S#%t!
It's cold!

The End

scream
Saucy Secretary O The Sea

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rolling iagree rofl

That one deserves a reward. Let me buy you a round. beercheer

Saucy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> The Yardarm All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: