The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sailing 10-22 May 2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Diamant Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
voyager
Navigator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 10-22 Oct 2012 Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
Randy and LaBerta,

I plan on buying euros before getting there. Is that a good plan ? What was the agreed tip that everyone paid last year ? I am guessing around 10-12 %. These guys work hard to make our trip a good one and I know they earn their money. Just wondering for my budget. thanks paul

If you are in Grenada, the currency is EC $ 2.6-2.7/$1USD. Most hotels exchange at 2.6:1

USD if usedon street generally goes at 2.5:1
Fred

7500 sunrises yet to go make every last one of them count!

suzanne.dowling

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:19 am    Post subject: May Trip on Diamant Reply with quote

Hi to fellow sailors. Feels like not long now. It will be good to get away from the pepertual rain in England. I will have to start thinking about wearing a bikini and get down to the gym again. Is the trip fully booked now?
We had a bit of a Hiccup as Virgin suddenly stopped doing flights on the days we had booked and wanted to fly us out 2 days after the Diamant had sailed. I have managed to reschedule us through Barbados so will hopefully be able to join you. I haven't yet booked hotels. Any suggestions?
Suzanne.
voyager
Navigator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: May Trip on Diamant Reply with quote

suzanne.dowling wrote:
Hi to fellow sailors. Feels like not long now. It will be good to get away from the pepertual rain in England. I will have to start thinking about wearing a bikini and get down to the gym again. Is the trip fully booked now?
We had a bit of a Hiccup as Virgin suddenly stopped doing flights on the days we had booked and wanted to fly us out 2 days after the Diamant had sailed. I have managed to reschedule us through Barbados so will hopefully be able to join you. I haven't yet booked hotels. Any suggestions?
Suzanne.

As to hotels, the Allamanda on Grand Anse Beach is used frequently by IWJ sailors. Mention our name and receive a discounted hotel rate. It is a clean 2 star hotel on the beach where many of us meet under the Almond Tree hammock. It has WIFI and a pool as well as a restaurant Ali Baba. You will understand when you see it. Does anyone have a photo to share of Almond Tree?

There are other hotels recommended as well. speak up guys

Have you looked at/registered for cruise week on Scott's Tallship Sailing List on web?

http://www.sagibson.com/wjlists/

Check it out.

Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: 10-22 May sailing flights Reply with quote

Getting to Grenada isnt easy for any of us. It never has been. I was stationed there for 90 day in the Navy a few years ago and we always had trouble getting flights for our spare parts. It has gotten any better. Since it one of the last islands in the chain, I guess that is one of the reasons. It too is one of the reasons I picked the 12 days sail. It is a hassle to get there and the cost of flights, I figure why not go for 12 days.

I am flying from Newark NJ (airport close to NYC) to Miami on United and then waiting 8 hours for the AA flight fron JFK to go to Grenada. This is on the 8th. So I will be thee two days early. There was no flights on the 9th didnt even look at the 10th. I looked at other ways to fly down to Greanda and other ways were many more hours or lay overs at the airports. I dont know the cost of London - JFK -Grenada but I guess that is a option too. MY suggestion is contact Island windjammer. They might be able to suggest something. Good luck. Going onthese vacations are always a adventure. Otherwise everyone would be doing it.

[/url]
Octoberbabe
Privateer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also flying down on the 8th via Miami, so we are on the same AA flight (since there is only one). I'm staying at Allamanda as I always do when in Grenada. I love being right on the beach and having the grocery store and lots of restaurants around.

I'm flying out on Saturday, 5/25, so will be staying at Allamanda after the cruise as well.

Di

[/url]
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good meetup place at the Miami airport is the Islander Grill and Bar at gate 49 as it is close to the gate for your Grenada flight. Be sure to ask for Armando, and tell him hi for Terri, Margo, Tuck, Fred, and me.
voyager
Navigator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandra wrote:
A good meetup place at the Miami airport is the Islander Grill and Bar at gate 49 as it is close to the gate for your Grenada flight. Be sure to ask for Armando, and tell him hi for Terri, Margo, Tuck, Fred, and me.

You'll be well lubricated cocktail at Island Grill and Bar to get on little plane to Grenada hammock

You might be so loped you can even slip out of the hammock rofl

Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hint: Don't get too lubricated or they won't let you on the plane so I've heard!!
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: reply to Di on 10 -22 May 2013 trip Reply with quote

Yes, Di, we will be on the flight together. I will be flying back on 22 may. I will be staying at the TRUE BLUE from the 8-10 May. I look forward to seeing you at the Miami airport. I will be arriving about 8 hours before AA Grenada flight. you can contact me at fireontheuproll@comcast.net too. I also post thing on the Island Windjammer Facebook web page fishing cocktail

[/url]
Octoberbabe
Privateer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's getting nearer and nearer. With the weather staying so cold and crappy, it just can't get here soon enough! Everybody got flights and hotels booked?

Di

[/url]
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: flights and hotel Reply with quote

flying down on AA on the 8th of May My flight from Newark is with United and I have will be there early in the afternoon. booked for two nights at True Blue on the front end. Leaving on the 22nd. will send another post as we get closer.

[/url]
calsailor
Privateer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: United Reply with quote

Good luck flying United. I traveled to Mass. for New Year's on United. They used to be my favorite airlines when I traveled out every week or two for my old job.

I had 6 fliights total. Of those 6 flights, I had 20 email notices of late takeoffs, then cancellations for each of my flights. I got to Mass a day late and got home a day late. I had to overnight in Neward on the way there and in San Francisco on the way home. I got not even a cup of coffee from them as compensation. Note that I live only 2 hours from San Francisco but they would not hire a bus or taxi to get us home. In addition, on the two overnights they refused to return my checked luggage so that I could have a change of clothes, etc.

They told me to save all my receipts and contact a certain phone number when I got home. So sorry - no compensation is due as all these delays and cancellations were due to weather in one place or another. Of course, there WAS no severe weather anywhere I traveled. And, the flight attendants at check in were very specific that each delay was due to mechanical issues on their planes.

I will NEVER fly United again. What a bunch of crud!!!

Octoberbabe
Privateer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry, Kay. I haven't flown United for umpteen years, but it's now at the bottom of my list! I'm usually on AA or USAir (which apparently are now the same thing).

Di

[/url]
YYCtrvlgrl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Hotels In Grenada Reply with quote

True Blue is a lovely hotel to stay in. Great on site bar and restaurant and another good one just across the road. Rooms are wonderful. Downfall I found, far from town and bars, shops restaurants, no beach but TWO great pools.

Coyaba is right on the beach another lovely property. Nice pool. Beautiful grounds. Restaurants. Right on Grand Anse, close to the action but pricey! But hey, sometimes one deserves to be spoiled!

Grenada Grand is right beside Allamanda. I have stayed there a few times and really like it. On the beach. Close to everything and a moderate price. I have heard they just did a big renovation. Their grounds are wonderful and they have 2 or 3 pools. The ice-creme shop with the oh-so- delicious NUTMEG ice- creme is right across the street! You MUST try it!

Allamanda is cheap and cheerful. Owners on site. Same view and easy access to everything as Coyaba and Grenada Grand for a good price.

I have also stayed at Kalinago and loved it. Great rates. Excellent staff. Nice secluded beach. A bit of a walk from the action but you can do it.

Wherever you stay the spot of all will be on the Diamant!
javascript:emoticon('Hi')
caribbeangirl
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay and Di,
I am forced to fly United when I go to MI, it's the only airline that goes there which really sucks. There are always weather delays in Chicago, their hub even if there are no clouds in the sky! I would write a letter of complaint at least. I think one time I got some compensation.

Margo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Diamant Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: