The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sagitta Sail 17Mar2013 - 23Mar2013
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Sagitta Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueSeaDee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Sagitta Sail 17Mar2013 - 23Mar2013 Reply with quote

cosmo Who might my shipmates be???? Aaaaargh! cocktail
Saucy Secretary O The Sea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Sagitta Sail 17Mar2013 - 23Mar2013 Reply with quote

BlueSeaDee wrote:
cosmo Who might my shipmates be???? Aaaaargh! cocktail

good morning Dee! and welcome to Sea Shanty!

I see this is your first post here; pull up a comfy seat sunchair and a mug of steaming coffeecup and tell us a little bit about yourself and how you found us.

As for your shipmates on the March 17 Sagitta cruise, many of our guests are not familiar with this board or the windjammer sailing lists, so they don't often introduce themselves prior to sailing. We do try to tell folks about "the list", but sometimes they don't sign in there. Here is a link to Scott's Windjammer Sailing lists. http://www.sagibson.com/wjlists/ It is an independent site that has been around for at least 30 years. It was handed down from the original creator to another dedicated 'jammer years ago and kept going by a series of volunteers. It is not affiliated with any specific ship. Go there, pick your ship and list your trip. Hopefully others traveling that week will sign in as well.

Saucy (the former) hammock Secretary o the Seas
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueSeaDee,
Keep Sagitta shipshape for us! We're sailing right after you: May 26.
jacquie

604week4&5
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passing like ships in the night we are on the 10th to the 16th...Don/Patty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don & Patty,

I'll leave some rum for y'all when we get off on March 2nd ... hopefully nobody will find the secret stash.

Saucy
604week4&5
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm March 2nd to March 9th....Secret stash or not I don't think it will be there when we arrive on the 10th...unless I know of the place of the stash..Ha!,,,,Donner...Bummmmer..
BlueSeaDee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good afternoon all. This will be my first sailing adventure (other than 'foo-foo' cruises, as I see them called here). Have wanted to do this for years, and am finally getting around to it.

As for how I found you... I found IWJ because I used to look at WJB cruises when I first thought of doing this. How I found the Sea Shanty? I'm a mad Googler, and at some point I stumbled upon it, ditto for the 'list' site.

I'm from the Chicago area, and cannot wait to be tanning warm again!!! From everything I'm reading/seeing, the Sagitta looks beautiful after her makeover, and from the stories I read it sounds like a whole lotta fun, too!

hammock Dee
604week4&5
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome BlueSeaDee to the wonderful world of Island Windjammers...Believe it or not, you are already a part of a wonderful family of barefoot fun vacationers...Hope you have a fantastic time and a great adventure on the Sagitta..Welcome Aboard..
BlueSeaDee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Don & Patty!!! Hi
calsailor
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: welcome aboard Reply with quote

Welcome aboard!

I'm jealous - I'm not sailing until May and I can hardly stand it. I sailed on the Diamant in August and spent a few weeks in Grenada and had a wonderful time.

Hope you will join those of us who just can't wait to go back!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be on Sagitta a couple of weeks before you. If you have any questions about the cruise, as Don and Patty said, you have just joiined the family of barefoot vacationers ... so besides the incredibly helpful staff at Island Windjammers' reservations, you can also pose questions here and anticipate helpful responses.

Saucy
voyager
Navigator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome BlueSeaDee

If it's about the Caribbean you'll find it on the thread Islands A to Z.

Bring some school supplies with you and visit one of the schools. A great experience.

Also welcome to Sammiej103 Nathalie

Ambassador of Goodwill mogguh equation

7500 sunrises yet to go make every last one of them count!

BlueSeaDee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you and Cheers beercheer to Calsailor and Fred! :)

I probably have a zillion questions, but for now i'll start with...

- What should / shouldn't we bring along, other than bathing suits and shorts? I guess what I'm asking is what would be really smart to bring and what would be a total waste of baggage space. We're staying on St. Maarten before and after, so we'll be bringing a little more than shipwear, but I'm sure there are some things that people have brought for the sail that were exceptionally useful and others that were totally dopey!

- Based on IWJ folks' info, we'll likely buy a beach towel on the ship and take it home as a souvenir. Brings to mind a question, for trip expense planning, about just what else we should plan to buy 'extra' on the trip... Excursions come to mind, as does the question of whether the fabled Rum Swizzles and Sagittaritas are included as part of the cruise price. I understand that we can bring liquor onto the ship, but if we don't, should we plan to run a tab for cocktails? (I do realize that food and libations at shore establishments will be at our own expense - am looking forward to Killer Bee's at Sunshine's!!! cocktail )

-Just how hard is it to get up into the upper bunk? I don't exactly see any sort of climbing apparatus to help avoid stepping on the sleeper in the lower bunk... :)

End of round 1 of questions... Hi

cheers_mate Dee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dee,

Informal RULES! Tees and shorts, bathing suit or 2, shore shoes and maybe sandals if you don't like to barefoot all the time. Sunscreen and insect repellant (I like the premoistened "OFF" towelettes because they are very effective and take up so little space in luggage). A hat or visor. There are excellent shops in St Maarten to buy things like tropical / beach ware. Highly recommend RIMA store on WALTER NISBETH ROAD ( PONDFILL ROAD) as the best place to shop ... it's where the street vendors buy a lot of the clothing they sell, so you know the prices are right.

Aboard, all food and beverages are included in cruise price except frozen specialty drinks so they would be the only bar tab you could run. ... if you want to bring a bottle of your favorite libation aboard, feel free. Again, the prices at the St Maarten duty free shops cannot be beat.

Tours and crew tip can all be charged to your cabin and paid at one time at the end of the cruise using your credit/debit card. There are more tours available on Sagitta's itinerary than there are on Diamant's, so there is more to "tempt" you. I got together with several others and we did a 1/2 day cab tour on St Kitts which cost us $15 US each and was well worth it. Same day, hubby did the ATV tour but I don't recall the price.
On St Barths, some people did a 1/2 day 'round island tour which cost about $20/each ... we simply walked to the top of the hill overlooking the airport and went to Shell Beach ... cost $0.0.

Of course, dining and beverages ashore are on your own ...

Saucy
BlueSeaDee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SO much for the info, Ms. Saucy!!! :D I am sitting here with the winter outside and cannot WAIT for St. Paddy's day to get here.

D.

Last edited by BlueSeaDee on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Sagitta Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: