The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sagitta Sail 17Mar2013 - 23Mar2013
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Sagitta Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saucy Secretary O The Sea

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Dee

Yeah, the weather in the Chicago area does look cold ... wish you wouldn't keep pushing it eastward directly at me! winter I'd much rather be wearing this Linda M and doing this tanning

I did forget to mention bringing at least an OTC motion sickness med like Bonine or Dramamine "just in case". Sagitta is a fairly stable platform, but Mother Nature sets the rules so having something you and yours can take before setting sail is handy.

For your cameras and any other electronics, the ship has 110 V service and American-style plugs, so no worries there ... be sure to charge up before leaving home if you are on St Maarten for a couple of days before sailing and/or bring adaptor for island use.

Don't bother with exchanging currencies; all islands accept US $ and many sticker with dual prices, so you can pay with whatever currency you have in your pocket.

Saucy
BlueSeaDee

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:thanks again, Saucy. I thought I read somewhere that the electricity on the Dutch side was 110 and you'd only need adapters on the French side. Not true??

Sorry about the weather, but today it's 60 degrees out, so I'll do my best to send that your way!

:D D.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueSeaDee wrote:
:thanks again, Saucy. I thought I read somewhere that the electricity on the Dutch side was 110 and you'd only need adapters on the French side. Not true??

Sorry about the weather, but today it's 60 degrees out, so I'll do my best to send that your way!

You know, you could be right ... I didn't need to charge anything when I was there in December, so didn't look at the plug layout. I'll find out soon enough (flying 2/20) and if the information your received is incorrect, I'll be sure to post an update.

Saucy
calsailor
Privateer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: oh and.... Reply with quote

Oh, and besides all the things Saucy mentioned, you must bring a sense of humor, a sense of adventure, a sense of wonder.... and, whatever you need to have a great time.

I have been on one of these types of sails with my luggage lost for 6 days and managed on just a couple of tshirts, 2 bathing suits, and a couple of pairs of shorts. Don't forget, you can always pick up some tshirts along the way that are not too expensive and are great momentos of the trip.

And, I always bring an ample supply of sunscreen. I use the Avon Skin So Soft sunscreen with DEET. That takes care of two things - the sun, and the skeeters which can be nasty at night when you are ashore. I also keep some of the Skin so Soft towlettes in my beach bag and in my money pouch/purse that I carry when on shore. The bugs aren't at all a problem when you are out on the ship but can be an issue when you are on shore, particularly in the evenings. Oh, a a good book or two does not hurt, especially if you are a reader.

MermaidMeredith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Wonderful Tips! Reply with quote

This is great info! We are taking our first trip at the very end of June and I had a lot of the very same questions. Thanks so much for the great answers. Any other tips you can think of would be appreciated! Hi
Liz
Flagwaver and Keeper of the Flame

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome MermaidMeredith! Browse around, there's tons of information here! And if you have specific questions, feel free to ask Hi
YYCtrvlgrl

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Helpful Sagitta Sailing Info! Reply with quote

[color=violet]'[color=violet][color=violet][color=violet]BlueSeaDee,
You will LOVE Sagitta! The staff is awesome and willing to help you in any way and answer any questions. You will well fed and happy! When you pack, pack light and bring a soft sided duffle. There is pretty good storage in the rooms but making your suitcase disappear is a good trick and makes he space even bigger. Pack casual - the daily dress is swim wear, coverups, shorts, t-shirts, a casual dress for dinner, maybe capris. Repeat the next day. Barefeet on board. Comfy shoes on land. I like the upper bunk. It is easier up and easy out. Very comfy too. Just tell your junkie to sleep back towards the wall to avoid getting stepped on. That seems to work!

Budget planning was tricky. A few people ended up looking for ATM's on some islands. There are excursions that can be charged to your IWJ account. But some taxi trip, a day at Sunshine's Bar in Nevis, Shopping at the Batik shop, meals on land [if you do not go back to the boat] can add up. Most shopping in boutiques in St. Barth's, Batik place, Anguilla can be put on a credit card. Same with some restaurants. We had lunch on shore almost daily because we did not want to interrupt our exploring. That got pricey.

AS for the cocktails on board beer, sodas are free all day. Sagarittas are free during the daily Sagaritta time. Red and white wine is served with dinner. They are/were experimenting with a frozen drink machine with drinks like pina coladas, mango margaritas for $5........ but they need to work on that. I would recommend that you bring some of your own cocktails on board. We did. And we were glad we did.

I am already looking at the calendar trying to plan a second trip. I guarantee you will be too, you just can
t do one....
.[/color][/color].javascript:emoticon('Hi')
Hi[/color][/color]
BlueSeaDee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I had no idea how much great info I would get here. I am SO excited about the trip. I've already packed my spirit of adventure, and my senses of humor and wonder, right next to the Dramamine and the sunscreen. smileydance

D.
calsailor
Privateer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: soft sided Reply with quote

OH - I forgot to mention the soft duffel. It also makes a great way to elevate the bottom of your bunk to help the swollen feet so many folks get when they sail. I empty mine the fold it up and put it under the mattress. I love mine because it has wheels - good deal Walmart for 30 bucks and it hold a ton so I can bring lots of stuff I really don't need but it doesn't take up room in the cabin.

I am so jealous. I am not sailing until my May trip on Sagitta.

voyager
Navigator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: soft sided Reply with quote

calsailor wrote:
OH - I forgot to mention the soft duffel. It also makes a great way to elevate the bottom of your bunk to help the swollen feet so many folks get when they sail. I empty mine the fold it up and put it under the mattress. I love mine because it has wheels - good deal Walmart for 30 bucks and it hold a ton so I can bring lots of stuff I really don't need but it doesn't take up room in the cabin.

I am so jealous. I am not sailing until my May trip on Sagitta.

And don't forget the school supplies. Visit a local school.

Fred
Ambassador of Goodwill, IWJ

7500 sunrises yet to go make every last one of them count!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred,

So far as I know, we do not have any school / orphanage or outreach program in place in the Leeward Islands at this time. School supplies/books, etc. can be suggested for guests traveling to Grenada for Diamant, but probably not the best idea for St Maarten and Sagitta.

Saucy
IndianaCheeseHead
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlueSeaDee wrote:

See : http://www.vacationstmaarten.com/about-st-maarten.php for more info.
Don't forget happy hour @ The Greenhouse. party cheers
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about Sagitta, but on Diamant, the towels weren't offered for sale until mid-cruise (along with other must-have IWJ offerings!). You may want to bring a towel or get one at the store that was recommended above.

I'd suggest water shoes, too, for those times when you have wet landings. And I always pack a light jacket or sweatshirt, plus drawstring pants.

You are gonna love this!
jacquie

BlueSeaDee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey IndianaCH and Sailor! (and everyone else, too!) That link to StMartin info was very informative, thankyouverymuch. :D I have water shoes on my list already, and I'll recheck on the beach towel thing because I was told I could buy one instead of bringing it by one of the Windjammer folks.

Have a great day, all, and I hope it's warmer wherever you are than the 5 degrees winter I see on my thermometer outside. Thinking of tanning helps.

hammock Dee
Liz
Flagwaver and Keeper of the Flame

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need to purchase towels (or any other must-have IWJ items!) when you board, just ask the crew--they'll be happy to get you whatever you need! Hi
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Sagitta Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: