The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to stay in St lucia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Diamant Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Where to stay in St lucia Reply with quote

I'm doing the 9 day cruise on Diamant out of St lucia in Nov 2013. Any recommendations where to stay before sailing? Has anyone stayed at St Lucian by Rex?
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of options in St. Lucia. In the old Windjammer Barefoot Cruise days a lot of folks stayed at Bay Gardens and loved it. It is medium priced but if you want something a little more plush, try Windjammer Landing. I've never stayed there but heard many good comments about it. Check at the hotels on Trip Advisor but be sure to read through the comments and way them out as some will be good, some bad. I try to look for consistency in the reviews. Hopefully some other folks will chime in with more recent info.
calsailor
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Windjammer Landing Reply with quote

I stayed at Windjammer Landing years ago and was supposed to stay for a week but left after a couple of days. It is a beautiful property and we were in one of the hilltop cabanas - it really was gorgeous.

The service was not good so you might want to really check the trip reports. The cabanas are open air at the top of all walls so we had to sleep under mosquito netting - a new experience to me and not one I cared for at all. The room was just full of critters after dark which were not harmful but just sort of creeped me out.

I know they also have rooms in the main hotel which is right in the middle of the resort and very close to the beach. The beach is awesome...

If you are not too worried about price, there is a fantastic hotel right between the Pitons which is pricey but well worth it. I have never stayed there but have visited it twice. Ladera's website is http://www.ladera.com/

There is so much to see and do on St. Lucia. It is just a great place to stay for a while.
Good luck.

caribdreamer
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Suz,

We did that trip this past November and LOVED it!
My hotel recommendation to you would depend totally on what time of day you arrive, how long you are staying and which airport you arrive at. You may already know that there are 2 airports on St Lucia, the international one at the south, and the smaller inter-island one further to the north at Castries. The ship will be leaving from Rodney Bay nearer to Castries.

If you are coming in late in the day to the international airport, I would stay at the south end of the island. The drive up to Rodney Bay is about an hour to an hour and a half and gives new meaning to "the long and winding road". We did it in the dark (by taxi) and it was not a fun experience. If you are island hopping and come in to Castries by LIAT, stay up by Rodney Bay. You will have an opportunity to see the south end from Diamant (we spent one night in Marigot Bay and one night in Jalousie Bay between the Pitons).

We stayed for one night pre-boarding at La Haut, down by Soufriere. It was a beautiful spot high in the hills and had a lovely room. We were not there long enough to give any comment on service and we only had one breakfast in the restaurant (which was adequate).

Others of our shipmates stayed in Rodney Bay and were very happy with their accommodation. If I think long enough I might remember where they stayed and I will post it.

Some of us did a tour while we were down by the Pitons and one of the stops was Ladera for a drink at the bar. Stunning place but not a place I would necessarily want to stay. EXTREMELY expensive and nobody was smiling. All of the guests seemed to have that I'm-so-bored-even-though-I-have-all-this-money look and the staff weren't much better. But it is worth seeing if for nothing but the view.

If you can think of any questions for me, don't hesitate!
Fiona

Suz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, guys. I come in mid afternoon to UVF two days before sail, so I might as well aim for the west coast the first night. I think I will opt out on critters in the room after dark. Bay Gardens might be good. I don't feel like spending a whole bunch of money for just a day and a half stay.
Susie
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bay Gardens is in Rodney Bay so you'd be close to where you'll board Diamant.
caribbeangirl
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have stayed at Bay Gardens a few times and it has always been pleasant and not horribly expensive. They also used to have free internet that was handy. The pool is great!

Margo
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were among Caribdreamer's shipmates (Ahoy, Fiona!)...and we stayed at the Bay Gardens Inn. NOTE that Bay Gardens has more than one offering in Rodney Bay: Bay Gardens Inn, Bay Gardens Hotel and possibly, Bay Gardens Resort. We stayed at the Bay Gardens Inn, and it was smaller/more intimate, tropical, pretty, with clean and comfortable rooms. Priced better, altho breakfast was pricey, and average. Nice pool area, lots of flora and fauna. It's in walking distance to a very nice looking business area where you can find restaurants, liquor store, mini mart, etc. We just needed it for the night, so we weren't looking for a resort.

I would not recommend a restaurant in that area there called Big Chef Steakhouse unless you have deep pockets and lots of time to wait for your food. However, the Cafe Ole at the Rodney Bay Marina is excellent with quite good food and an excellent outdoor setting. We were entertained by a mama cat teaching her 2 kittens to navigate the garden area. Cafe Ole is NOT in walking distance....takes a cab ride, but it's a good place for lunch on boarding day. We dropped our bags at the ship and then headed there for lunch and a headstart on happy hour.
cocktail
Hopefully, by now IWJ has Diamant's location better marked. Our cab driver drove around the harbor area for awhile before finally he and my husband got out and walked around and finally found someone to point the way. Well hidden from the parking area. Of course, it partly may have been our fault (all our fault?) because we thought we were supposed to be on Diamant by 1pm, when actually, we weren't supposed to start boarding til 1 pm. I'm guessing there's a crew member on alert from that time on. So there we were, at Diamant just before noon. Capt Matt and crew were so cool about it. With welcoming smiles, they set their lunches aside, checked us in, and then invited us to go explore the harbor area, have a little lunch and maybe a margarita.....and come back later ( :D ),

Fiona is correct about the cab ride and when to take it or not take it. We arrived mid afternoon and while it was a long and winding ride, it was very pretty. If you have a good driver, you'll get lots of island info. Our trip was one of the Wanderer cruises (9 nites), so while we departed from St. Lucia, we disembarked in Grenada, and I must admit that we were very happy not to have to make that long cab ride one more time. Grenada's airport is much closer to the docks. Hi

Suz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I've decided on the Bay Gardens Beach Hotel because I wanted to be on the beach. Being from Minnesota, I can't seem to get enough of just watching the ocean or getting my feet in the sand. If anyone else is going to be in the neighborhood in the couple of days before sailing on the Diamant Nov 18, let's get together for happy hour. For those of you who haven't experienced Sagitta yet..just do it. It's a wonderful ship with an amazing crew. You'll love it. Susie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Diamant Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: