The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

May 12 extended sail
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Sagitta Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EmilyH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: May 12 extended sail Reply with quote

Hi to all that will be sailing on the extended cruise May 12. Sooo excited! This will be my 2nd Windjammer Cruise. First was with Barefoot on the Polynesia in 2006.

Would love to hear other's experiences. What to/not to pack? Other helpful tips.

Can't wait to meet everyone!

Til then, Emily
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Emily. You will have the time of your life on the 12 day extended cruise. Several of your fellow passengers are repeats as they had so much fun on it last year. As for what to take, pack light... a couple of swimsuits, a pareo or two, several pairs of shorts, t-shirts for each day, maybe a sundress or a nice pair of capris & top for dinner on an island , undies, pj's, toiletries( as for makeup I only take mascara and face cream with spf),lots of sunscreen, bug spray as there is an occasional mosquito on the islands in the evening, a hat, a light rain jacket just in case, and if you are cold natured maybe a long sleeve t-shirt. I also take a couple of books to read but for some reason I never seem to read them except in the airports. Take you ipod or any other electronics for lazy days on the beach, and you can also share your music with your fellow passengers using the ship's audio system. Remember you are on island time so there is no rushing around, and you are a visitor in another country so respect their culture. Have a blast!!

OK guys and gals, what have I forgot?????

sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also bring wlking shoes, and maybe water shoes. A towel, unless you'd like to get one of the nice IWJ towels offered for sale onboard. An ugly Hawaiian shirt (UHS) for UHS Night....and, of course: a great attitude! You're gonna have a blast!

Sandra: What's a pareo???

jacquie

sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm...maybe a pareo is something like wlking shoes!

I meant: walking shoes, but fingers slipped.

Saucy Secretary O The Sea

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailorJM wrote:
hmmmm...maybe a pareo is something like wlking shoes!

I meant: walking shoes, but fingers slipped.

Sandra, you should have used this for the weekly quiz!!

Hi sailorJM! Pareo definition: The pāreu or pareo is the Cook Islands and Tahitian word for a wraparound skirt. Originally it was used only to refer to women's skirts, as men wore a loincloth, called a maro. Nowadays the term is applied to any piece of cloth worn wrapped around the body, worn by males or females. It is related to the Malay sarong, Sāmoan lavalava, Tongan tupenu and other such garments of the Pacific Islands such as the islands of Hawaiʻi, Marquesas, Aotearoa, and Fiji.

Sandra was referring to the colorful wraps that you can buy at any of the market stalls on the islands.

Saucy
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my pareo as a swimsuit coverup and also as my beach towel....doesn't take up much room in your luggage and it dries very quickly. As Donna said you can buy them from the t-shirt tree vendors!!
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't learn something every day, it's a wasted day, or so they say.
Not if on an Island Windjammer, I say! But that's a wraparound way to say that I learned something today!
ohyeah2

calsailor
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: pareo Reply with quote

The pareo also makes for a great way to cover up from the sun without leaving the beach. Or, for a shawl on a cool evening.... I have one and used it constantly on my trip on Diamant last August.

You might also pack a camera. There are some photo ops not to be missed. But, if you trust your fellow pax, you will probably get photos posted after the trip and those are fun too.

Don't forget to pack any meds, a swimsuit and change of tshirt, shorts, etc. in your carry on luggage just in case. That way, too, you don't have to search for them on arrival in the islands and can head out to greet the sea on arrival without having to unpack anything.

Clothing, etc. - you can get most of what you would need on the islands. However, we are on the more expensive islands so doubt we will find t-shrts for 10 bucks as you can in the Grenadines.

Lots and lots of sunscreen as you can't escape that wonderful sun when sailing and on the beaches.

See you on St. Martin!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are sailing Sagitta out of St Maarten, you are in luck! Right there in Phillipsburg, on Pond Fill Road (the "back side" of town) is the home of RIMA Sportsware. RIMA brand is found throughout the Caribbean and they have a vast selection of shirts (men/women/unisex), skirts, scarves, coverups, pareos, and just about everything else you could think of. In December, Wil and I stopped in and added to our collection of wild island shirts at 3 for $21. In March, my sister and I paid a visit so she could add to her collection! While polyester blends are most prevelant and the most inexpensive, RIMA also carries harder to find all cotton items and the prices are very competitive.

Note that they are NOT open on Sundays. Happy shopping

Saucy (unabashed RIMA pompom )
calsailor
Privateer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: RIMA Reply with quote

Thanks Donna for the info - that is the shop folks keep telling me to check out. Emily, we will have to go there on Saturday since they are closed on Sundays!
YYCtrvlgrl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: 101 uses for Pareo's/sarongs Reply with quote

I love using my sarong as a house coat after the shower. Light and easy cover up.

You will also want pack everything in a soft sided duffle bag. Big suitcases are hard to store on the ship. Although Sagitta has a fair bit of storage in the rooms.

The showers all have very nice Bath and Body Works shower gel and shampoo in them. That might help you take one thing off the list.

Whatever you bring or not, you WILL have a wonderful time. So don't worry. Be javascript:emoticon(':D')

ENJOY!!!
buddycat
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In thinking about this pareo/sarong thingy.....how about a shower curtain liner as a practicle substitute.

Toga,toga,toga!!!

EmilyH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input fellow salt lifers!

What about a hair dryer? Do I need to bring one of those?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmilyH wrote:
Thanks for all the input fellow salt lifers!

What about a hair dryer? Do I need to bring one of those?

Emily, there is a hair dryer in each cabin bathroom. Another item you can leave at home.

Saucy
megpatterson

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Travel Insurance or not? Reply with quote

I'm on the fence about travel insurance. We are going on the Sagitta May 12 to 24th trip. It seems like so many things are excluded, that I don't know if it's worth a couple hundred dollars extra. What do you experienced sailors think?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Sagitta Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: