The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

May 12 extended sail
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Sagitta Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pirate 4 Hire
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Travel Insurance or not? Reply with quote

megpatterson wrote:
I'm on the fence about travel insurance. We are going on the Sagitta May 12 to 24th trip. It seems like so many things are excluded, that I don't know if it's worth a couple hundred dollars extra. What do you experienced sailors think?

I'm jaded... the one time I REALLY needed the help, the insurance folks said they did not cover my situation. LAST time I EVER paid for travel insurance!

With that being said, I'm sure there are those better informed who will stear you in the right direction. I had always bought the insurance prior to my in-ability to use said insurance. I'm positive there are decent policies available that are worth the money, just not what I had. Shame on me for not knowing what EXACTLY would be covered prior to purchase! My only advise would be know EVERYTHING about what your insurance is going to cover before you make the purchase.

megpatterson

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Insurance Reply with quote

Thanks for your input. I think that's what was bothering me is that when I read the conditions it seemed like everything that could possibly happen was excluded. Also pre-existing medical conditions are not covered and that would be the thing that I would worry about. So not sure what to do.

I think if anything were to go wrong on the Sagitta, Island windjammers would make good. And the flights are JetBlue, who I know would make good. So really what else is there?
Saucy Secretary O The Sea

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Travel Insurance or not? Reply with quote

megpatterson wrote:
I'm on the fence about travel insurance. We are going on the Sagitta May 12 to 24th trip. It seems like so many things are excluded, that I don't know if it's worth a couple hundred dollars extra. What do you experienced sailors think?

Meg, I personally buy it for some trips ... and not for others. It all depends on how much I have invested in the trip and whether I'm willing to risk "losing it all" if my plans are disrupted. If I am planning on scuba diving, I get a specific trip policy from DAN that covers both my trip and my scuba diving activities (see exclusion note below)

Most basic policies do cover common causes of a trip not going as planned: weather delays or cancellations; medical emergency resulting in trip cancellation (if due to pre-existing condition, you might need to purchase optional pre-existing coverage), trip delay due to common carrier (air flight cancelled resulting in "missing the boat"), etc. The basic plans also include at least some benefits for medical emergencies that might occur while traveling, including needing a medivac or air ambulance.

Most policy exclusions are for things that other insurance policies also exclude: acts of war or civil unrest; intentional self infliction of injury; participating in known dangerous activities (sky diving, scuba diving, taking flying lessons or flying a private plane, etc.), or known pre-existing conditions (medical emergency resulting from a previously diagnosed medical condition).

I have numerous anticdotes where trip insurance has come in handy:
Traveler is injured in a fall in days prior to trip, resulting in forced cancellation; severe weather along travel route disrupts flights resulting in not being able to get to the ship; person loses job and has to cancel; person has a medical emergency while traveling and needs to go home early.

All of that said, I have heard of people who purchased trip insurance and found their specific situation was NOT covered. I do not know details to share. IF you have questions, I suggest you get the carrier on the phone and inquire about specific situations ("would this policy cover me if ...") and let their responses guide you.

Saucy (the former) Secretary
megpatterson

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Travel insurance or not? Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply. I think I'll try to get them on the phone. I can just think of so many better ways to spend $400 :-) and how unlikely it is that anything bad will happen.
Bermuda Onion
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have hesitation in purchasing travel insurance after my late mother visited us some years ago for my son's wedding and ended up in ICU with a blood clot in the lung. She had taken out travel insurance and they paid for everything. The total cost of the hospital stay plus care was well over $35,000!
calsailor
Privateer

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: hey shipmate Reply with quote

Hey there Meg,
I wll be joining you on Sagitta this weekend!! Glad to meet you.

I have not been using trip insurance as my needs have been covered under my insurance at work. However, this info will certainly come in handy for my trip to Diamant in October as I will no longer have coverage via work. (Need I remind everyone that I retired last Friday? YIPPEE, YEAH, YAHOO.)

See you on the ship on Sunday!! I'm off to finish packing, and to run errands as we leave tomorrow for St. Martin and some serious beach time.

flashappy
Omer Dole

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge fan of trip insurance! There are SO many things that can happen to the most prepared travelers... injury, missed flight connections to name a few. Ask anyone who's had to cancel their trip because they stumbled on an uneven pavement (of which there are tons of them down here!) or some other unknown reason... but ALL are definitely unplanned!

As Operations Manager for IWJ in Grenada, I've seen it happen a number of times to people without trip insurance.

I used to always travel during January. One year our flight home was delayed for 3 days due to weather. Our trip insurance reimbursed us for hotels, meals, and a rental car for those 3 days. I'd say it was definitely worth it!
megpatterson

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Bought it! Reply with quote

OK, I broke down and bought it. But limited it just to the Sagitta and St Maarten part of the trip, since I don't usually have it when I visit NYC anyway... $188 total, so that wasn't so bad.

Hope it helps in some way.

Thanks all, for the advice :)

Meg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Sagitta Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: