The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Travel insurance or no?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Sagitta Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
megpatterson

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Travel insurance or no? Reply with quote

I'm on the fence about travel insurance. We are going on the Sagitta May 12 to 24th trip. It seems like so many things are excluded, that I don't know if it's worth a couple hundred dollars extra. What do you experienced sailors think?
Saucy Secretary O The Sea

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Travel insurance or no? Reply with quote

megpatterson wrote:
I'm on the fence about travel insurance. We are going on the Sagitta May 12 to 24th trip. It seems like so many things are excluded, that I don't know if it's worth a couple hundred dollars extra. What do you experienced sailors think?

Meg,

I'm not "selling" trip insurance, just offering food for thought ...

If your air carrier's flight is delayed and you arrive too late to board the ship, the air carrier will not reimburse you for your pre-cruise hotel, nor will they pay to get you to the next port of call to join the cruise.

Cost of insurance is based on the total cost of the trip being covered. Last time I purchased trip insurance, I did it for my husband who was traveling to/thru areas where medical care isn't top shelf and where tropical diseases are endemic. We wanted it more for the medical coverage than the potential cancellation/delay coverage, but I recall the total expense was under $175 for his 2 month trip.

Saucy
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having spent time in Caribbean hospitals when I did some work for the Pan American Health Organization, I always take out travel insurance for the medical evacuation as I prefer US hospitals. If you have any health issues, you might consider the insurance for the evacuation. I usually shop around but lately have found Allianz to be the best buy. $50,000 evacuation coverage is enough to fly you home.
Tim
Privateer

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this one: www.allianztravelinsurance.com

Because I travel often I buy a yearly policy and it cost me about $250 a year.

When my wife travels with me I buy her an individual policy. The cost of her policy for an upcomming week was $33.00.

GeorgiaGirl
Privateer

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We travel quite a bit and I never go internationally without travel insurance. By the time you add up what you pay for even a modest trip you have a chunk of "change" invested so to me it only makes sense to insure that investment. And as others have said, the medical and evacuation are key provisions.
nancark
Privateer

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of us over age 65: Remember that Medicare DOES NOT cover ANY expenses outside the U.S. So if your Medicare supplement does not cover such expenses either, you'll want to buy a medical and evacuation policy covering those days you'll be out of the country.
Bermuda Onion
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We travel quite a bit and I never leave home without Travel Insurance. I purchase an annual insurance policy for the both of us which costs us $350.00 and gives me peace of mind.
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We always get travel insurance.
Friend of mine (60s) was in Colombia, coming out of the surf: hit by wave and flattened. Neck/back broken in 4 places. Fortunately, he had friends with him who were medical types and he had travel insurance. Friends stabilized him and got him to local hospital, but locals said they couldn't do much and didn't predict good outcome. Insurance got him flown home quickly and efficiently and he got into trauma care. No one knew if he'd be para- or quadraplegic when this happened in Nov. 2011. But by September 2012, he was walking again, albeit with a limp, and one arm not doing well. Today, is he almost 95% and he/we all swear by travel insurance. Just saying........

flashappy
Omer Dole

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned in the other thread... I would not go this far on vacation without getting trip insurance.

The hospitals down here are "okay" (& cheap) for simple stuff, but if you have to be airlifted back to the states, YOU will have to pay that cost!
Pirate 4 Hire
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to all of you who have pointed out the medical side of trip insurance. I have to admit, I had only considered trip insurance as a way to recoup your losses if your trip was cancelled! The great posts that have been added here have opened my eyes and educated me. Something that is always good! Although my experience didn't return any of my lost funds for the vacation, this new enlightment has made it clear how vital trip insurance can be! My perspective about the whole trip insurance thing has done a 180 and I would recommend it now! Just make sure you ask what is covered and what is not covered, something I personally failed to do!
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an extremely excellent point, and I underscore it: make sure you know what is covered and what isn't.
Rolling Eyes Insurance=betting we're gonna lose, but it's a bet I have to make.
What I learned from this thread is that you can get annual coverage. We travel often, and this will save us a lot. I feel like a dummy just figuring that out! But with the savings, we can sail Diamant or Sagitta again!

Tuck
Privateer

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when WBC was in the process of going under, we had a trip scheduled on the YC; needless to say I got a bit nervous. Most of the companies that I could find required you to take out the trip cancellation insurance near the time of booking. Finally found one that would cover us. Cost was about $200, got back our cruise cost (~$2000) and spent a couple of enjoyable weeks downisland.
Bermuda Onion
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were booked to fly to Europe on September 26th 2007. Unfortunately John ran into a little heart problem and was airlifted to Johns Hopkins on 17th September and had a quadruple bypass on 19th September! The airline refunded our airfare for medical reasons but not the taxes, the taxes and all other costs were picked up under the travel insurance.

We finally made in the trip in May 2008!

Sparty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: easy shopping Reply with quote

insuremytrip.com does it all, pick and choose coverage have had lots of policies with them and had one major claim. Went smooth and the $200 policy saved us $2000 at least.
Gavin4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Insurance Reply with quote

For me, go insurance does it all. looking at the terms, policies it seems to be even better than the other travel insurances plans. They assist my every requirement well. You can also take their services online.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Sagitta Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: