The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

October 4-16 Diamant Explorer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Diamant Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Landlocked

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: October 4-16 Diamant Explorer Reply with quote

My husband and I will be taking our FIRST Island Windjammer Cruise. Woo hoo! Can't wait! Any and all advice is welcomed! (We are very light packers - carry on only - but if there are any "must brings", please let us know!). He is more of a sailor than me - so I'll be prepared with meclizine, etc. And, I know to bring a beach towel, tons of sunscreen, a bit of bug spray, my Kindle, and nothing fancy. But I don't know ANYTHING else.
calsailor
Privateer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: me too Reply with quote

I am on with you for the extended sail and cannot wait. While it is not my first time on Diamant nor my first time in the Grenadines, every trip is different and every trip is a wonderful adventure.

I think your packing list sounds fine There is not a lot you need to know. There is snorkel gear for loan on the ship Just bring a great sense of adventure and relaxation and you are all set. The Grenadines are very beachy with lots of time to soak up the sun. The islands to the north nearer St. Lucia have a lot more shopping but still have wonderful beaches. I you like to hike, there are some really good hikes. Bring comfy clothes and beach wear and some confy shoes for shore time/walking. The is no need for dressy clothes anywhere in the islands.

Are you arriving on island early? If so, where are you staying? I always stay at the Allamanda. It's clean, comfy, and very reasonable and is in the best location on Grand Anse. I will be coming in Sept 25th

Looking forward to meeting you and getting our bare feet on that wonderful deck. If you are coming in early, maybe we can connect on island for a drink or dinner????

IndianaCheeseHead
Privateer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think "tons of sunscreen" will make it thru security in a carry-on.

tanning shucks
calsailor
Privateer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: nope Reply with quote

No, it wouldn't. I put all my liquids in my checked luggage in a large tupperware conatiner to prevent spills in transit.
Landlocked

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips! Yay! We are arriving on the 2nd. I'll figure out how to message you to meet up.

WRT sunscreen - you'd be surprised how much I can fit into a quart-sized bag. Just tested it and got 5 full size Neutrogena 55 SPF's into one baggie. That'll be my baggie. We'll put all of our other toiletries into my spouses bag (toothpaste, shampoo - do we need to bring shampoo? am guessing yes), and can buy more in Grenada if need be. Can't stand those silly liquid rules. I have to travel all the time for work so am glad that on this trip I don't have to pack hairspray and static guard for suits or liquid make-up!
calsailor
Privateer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: don't forget Reply with quote

Don't forget. You can put liquids in your checked bags. I put mine in the center of the duffle inside a large rigid tupperware container. It also makes it easier in the cabin as the container just lifts out of my duffel and goes in one of the drawers or in the head. You can always buy some things before boarding the ship. I believe there is shampoo on the ship and bath gel. There is also a hair dryer in each cabin so you don't need that unless it is for when you are at the hotel.

Can't wait for these next few weeks to go by so we can go sailing!!!!!

IndianaCheeseHead
Privateer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be aware of the 3-1-1 rule for carry-on luggage:
i.e. 3.4 oz per bottle..............
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/3-1-1-carry-ons

so "full size (?) bottles" might get caught. scream

Have a great time. cheers
Landlocked

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all! No worries on the liquids - I travel constantly for work and am a carry-on only traveler, so am uber-aware of all of the wacky restrictions. The only thing worse than the liquid rules are the hurry up and strip - hurry up and get dressed again - oh, this airport wants you to keep your ID and ticket out while you go through the body scanner, this one wants you to put it away, etc. rigmarole.

Here are a few more questions:
1) What do you know now and always prepare for that you wished you had known when you took your first IWJ vacation?
2) I don't know whether or not I'll experience seasickness, but plan to prepare by taking non-drowsy Dramamine before we set sail and for the first several days. If you were not a regular sailor, did you experience any seasickness, and if so, what solution worked best?
3) What levels of cash should I bring with me? I've heard it is best to bring $1s, $5s, and $10s, but not $20s or larger denominations as those are harder to break. Is that the case? And, neither of us are really "tchotchke" people - we don't usually buy much to bring back beyond maybe an ornament for the tree or some spices or something like that. That said, what should I plan for in terms of purchases on land - such as excursions or food/drink. Two people - $300? $500? $1000? all cash?/ assuming no credit cards, but am I wrong on that?
4) I bought one of those submersible (up to 15 feet) aquapac thingies that supposedly make my camera waterproof. Have you ever tried them - do they work or should I return it? I'm hoping it works better than the disposable waterproof cameras. I don't expect artwork-level photos, but wanted to protect my camera AND maybe try to get a few underwater shots.

Thanks!!
calsailor
Privateer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: well..... Reply with quote

Those are quite a few questions.

1. I took my first barefoot cruise over 20 years ago and had no idea what I was getting into The one thing I always keep in mind now - there is absolutely need for anything the least bit dressy. You can bring it and no one will laugh, but it will just sit in your cabin.
2. Sea sickness can be a short lived problem for some people. Sailing ships are less likely to cause the problem. Dramamine works fine. In the far distant past, I used the Dramamine patches and they work fine. After a couple of days, you can remoe the patch. Other remedies are eating frequently, and ginger (I love ginger cookies, on the sea or not.) The chef will probably stir up some Ginger soup for us (yum, yum). The best relief is found by staying out on deck and having a great time. You are too distracted to feel ill.
3. I bring a fair amount of cash. You are right about the small denominations. There are ATM's on quite a few of the islands. Notify your bank that you will be traveling and where/when. Some credit cards are offered with the international logo. Those are helpful on some of the French islands as the ATMs there are really picky and so are the shops (specifically Guadeloupe has been a problem for me). You don't need to carry lots of cash as you can hit the ATM bofore and during the sail. You do not need to change currency for the Grenadines and some of the other islands. On Guadeloupe, they only accept Euro's or credit cards with the international chip. All the other islands will deal in US$ and give a fair rate of rxchange.
4. I don't know too much about thr camera case. I have seen them used and folks seem to like them okay. I think it would depend on the make/model and your camera. I share your dislike of the results using the underwater disposables. However, if and when I snorkle, I am concentrating too much on staying alive to take pics (I am not a swimmer and only snorkle if it is phenonimal views (like is Tobago Keys which is one of our stops).

caribbeangirl
Privateer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found it is easiest to bring cash. You can always have to much but too little is ugly. The islands all have ATM's but not all of them work from a friend's experience. If you don't notify your bank you are taveling, you may get shut down so keep their number handy.
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While tons of sunscreen is good, I'd put some in the checked luggage, if you have it. I no longer put my most necessary toiletries and cosmetics in my checked bag! We had a 2010 trip where our plane could not land in Costa Rica that night due to extremely high winds. It was late at night and the plane was diverted to Nicaragua, and while AA put everyone up for the night in two gorgeous hotels there, we could not, repeat not, have our luggage!! thumbdown We were stuck with whatever we brought on the plane with us! It was not fun. sigh

Now when I have checked baggage, I make sure I carry a change of clothes and the necessary toiletries/cosmetics in my carry-on. thumbup

calsailor
Privateer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: me too Reply with quote

I always have enough stuff in my carryon to allow me a night or two without luggage. AA lost mine once many years ago on a 2 week trip. I found it half way through!!

So, now I pack overnight toiletries, a bathing suit, and at least one change of clothes in my carryon. Better safe than sorry. You can almost always find toiletries etc. down island but not always 'your' brand, and not always as cheap as they are at home. Even the shops in th airports have overnight supplies for an emergency.

caribbeangirl
Privateer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do the same as Kay on the way down. Don't want to take a chance of no bathing suit, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Diamant Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: