The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pasanggrahan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Sagitta Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bermuda Onion
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Pasanggrahan Reply with quote

Has anyone stayed at the Pasanggrahan recently? We are booked to stay on 27th December for two nights and have just read a scathing review on Tripadvisor from a guest who stayed earlier this month.

We know it is too late now for us to do anything about our reservation but would like to know whether any other passengers have received less than stellar service at the Pasanggrahan?

www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147347-d147508-r187439519-Pasanggrahan_Royal_Guesthouse-Philipsburg_Sint_Maarten_St_Maarten_St_Martin.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT

Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We stayed there in June on the second floor, old section, and had no problem. Sounds like there is some construction going on now. They let us keep our luggage in the room until we were ready to head over to Sagitta. If the outdoor bar is closed, just go next door to the Get Wet Bar which is a favorite of ours. Be sure to tell Phil, the owner, you are sailing on Sagitta.

PS. I never let one or two bad reviews bother me. It's when I see multiple bad reviews that I back away. There will always be someone who is not happy.

Have a blast!!

Bermuda Onion
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sandra! We don't take notice of the odd bad review either but as we are now so close to our trip and as we are meeting friends at the hotel I was interested in finding out if others had experienced anything similar during their stay.
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an old hotel with a lot of history but they also have a new section now. Haven't seen it yet as we like the old section so we can have a balcony overlooking the ocean. Had breakfast at their restaurant and it was good/plentiful.
caribdreamer
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will look forward to hearing your impressions on your return, Dorothy. We are on Sagitta in April and I was planning to try and get rooms there for our before-and-after nights. I would rather have quaint than sterile as long as its not too quaint!
IndianaCheeseHead
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandra wrote:
We stayed there in June on the second floor, old section, and had no problem. Sounds like there is some construction going on now. They let us keep our luggage in the room until we were ready to head over to Sagitta. If the outdoor bar is closed, just go next door to the Get Wet Bar which is a favorite of ours. Be sure to tell Phil, the owner, you are sailing on Sagitta.

PS. I never let one or two bad reviews bother me. It's when I see multiple bad reviews that I back away. There will always be someone who is not happy.

Have a blast!!

Ditto!!
we stayed there last march and plan to stay there again this march.
We have stayed there numerous times in the past 10 years, and have never had a "bad" experience. It's not perfect, but then again, it's not the Waldorf Astoria.
One must remember that they are not staying in the US of A. It has always been clean, comfortable and safe. And they have always addressed any issue that we have had- which wasn't very often.
calsailor
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:32 am    Post subject: OK in May Reply with quote

I stayed there for a week in May after my Sagitta sail and really enjoyed it. The room was large and comfortable but not luxurious. The staff was friendly. What I liked most was the location. It was lovely to sit on my patio and have coffee in the mornings and watch the world go buy on the 'boardwalk' and it is really in the heart of the old town within walking distance of lots of shops and lots of different eateries. The weekend was especially nice as there were musicians along the boardwalk and lots of activity.

I look forward to hearing about your stay.

604week4&5
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We LOVE the Pasanggrahan and have stayed there many times...and will again this March..Always get the lower level Beach Front rooms...Not fancy but clean and with good access to the Beach and downtown...Just a nice warm and friendly place with some island Charm...Don & Patty
JB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Cab Fare to Pasanggrahan Reply with quote

What should we expect to pay for cab fare from the airport to Pasanggrahan? I see that the government regulates cabs but I'm trying to figure out how much cash to have on hand. Thanks.
604week4&5
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figure on $10/pp for a couple for a cab ride from the airport but note that if it is a single they may hit you for $20 even if there are others in the cab unless the cab is full.
JB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Good to know what to expect!
caribdreamer
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We paid $10 per person for 4 of us with luggage from the hotel back to the airport.
On the way in though, we shared the cab with another couple and dropped them off somewhere on the way. There was a man at the taxi stand at the airport sorting people into cabs. I can't remember exactly what we paid but I know it was not $40 - I seem to think it was $25. So don't hesitate to share!!

winefrog
Bon Vivant & Sybarite

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we were there last month the taxi rate (which is government regulated) was $20 per couple from the airport to the Holland House. A cab from the Holland House to the cruise ship dock was $3 per person.
JB

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, Thank you!
Jotum
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have time on the island I would recommend picking a place on the French side and get to see more than just the tourist area of Phillipsburg. Rent a car and visit a different great beach each day. Enjoy some french food in Grand Case. Check out Orient Beach and even get some food from the local areas where they cook along side the road.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Sagitta Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: