The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Leaving Fe-burr-ary behind 2/23/14
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Sagitta Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fairday

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Leaving Fe-burr-ary behind 2/23/14 Reply with quote

Looking for our shipmates...
cocktail
Boston2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll be joining you on February 23rd. This is our first windjammer cruise and we're really looking forward to it!
Octoberbabe
Privateer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I could be joining you! Have a great time.

Di

[/url]
fairday

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:51 pm    Post subject: 23 sleeps Reply with quote

It is our first too! Very excited. We will be celebrating our 20th. hug
caribdreamer
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have friends sailing with you - wish it was me!!
fairday

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: tips? Reply with quote

Any must dos or must haves or any other tips for us first timers?
Boston2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations Fairday! We would appreciate any first timer tips too. We're leaving Feb. 20th and spending three days at the Pasanggrahan before we sail. Wanted to have a "bad weather" buffer so that we didn't miss the boat. Can't wait to get out of this cold.
Saucy Secretary O The Sea

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First timer tips? Hummmm thinking ...

bring plenty of sun screen and some form of insect repellant. You never know when pesky bugs will show up to try to ruin your day. The moist towelettes with DEET are easy to pack and slip into a pocket conveniently. If you are a camera buff, then you should also pack those little moist hand wipes to remove the insect repellant from your fingers before handling photography equipment.

If you suspect you might be prone to motion sickness, take some form of seasickness med (or patch or wrist band) prior to setting sail. Give it a little time to work. Go light on the alcohol and drink plenty of water or juice to stay hydrated.

Leave expensive jewelry at home. You won't need it aboard ship anyway.

Sneakers for walking about towns or hiking; sturdy sandals if you aren't inclined to go "off roading"; some water-able beach footwear (flipflops/beach shoes/etc.) for wet landings on beaches and for walking about. Shell Beach on St Barts is hard on bare footsies but a beautiful place to visit.

I usually bring a few clothes pins and about 10' of sturdy string/cord to make a handy clothes line.

In your cabin, remember not to block the A/C vent that is near the floor.

Money: Most places accept US $ without hesitation ... they will generally give you local currency as change. Eastern Caribbean exchange rate is fixed at $2.67 EC = $1.00 US .. street vendors will use $2.50 EC = $1 US because it is easier to figure in their head. No worries, they aren't trying to skin you. Euro exchange rate is on a float so it varies slightly from day to day. FORGET travelers checks - in most cases you will need to take them to a bank to get them cashed. ATMs (for more cash) are located at all banks and are generally secure ... OTOH, I try not to use my credit card anywhere except at my hotel or to clear my shipboard account.

Generally speaking, the water supplies on the islands are good, but when in doubt, go with bottled water. Shipboard water is made and purefied aboard ship, so is always good.

Places to see? Oh, my! Way too many to outline here. Pay attention to the operations manager's daily briefing and don't be afraid to ask questions afterwards to determine which sites, tours, walks, etc. would be of interest to you.

If you will be on St Maarten for a day or 2 prior to sailing (or after sailing) ... you might want to rent a car to check out the rest of the island. If you are staying in Phillipsburg, you might have a problem finding parking for a rental car, so check with the hotel first.

Remember to RELAX! This is one of the most laid-back vacations ever. Take the time to enjoy ... the meals, the sunsets, just lounging, chatting with (---),

Saucy
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're staying at the Pasaggrahan, be sure to go next door to Get Wet Bar for a drink or two. The fish and chips there are delic!! Say hi to Phil , the owner, and be sure to tell him you are sailing on Sagitta! Also, just a short walk away is the Greenhouse, another good stop for drinks and food. Happy Hour is 5 to 7. They'll serve you two drinks for the price of one and some of there appetizers will be half price. Have a great sail, and be sure to post a trip report as those of us stuck at home, live vicariously through the reports of others!!
Boston2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the tips! cocktail
fairday

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering about the clothesline thing! Thanks for all the tips. sunchair

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fairday wrote:
I was wondering about the clothesline thing! Thanks for all the tips. sunchair

Fairday, this is an OLD habit that will not die. I always bring a line along so I can hang a damp suit somewhere where it won't be against the wall/woodwork and, hopefully out of the shower. I've also hung dive gear from it, etc. The line and clothes pins have saved me in a number of hotels (where the hangers are permanently affixed on the closet rod) as well as aboard ship.

Saucy
fairday

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We carry random rope around a lot too. Handy dandy.
So does everyone pretty much take seasickness meds for prophylactic measures? I REALLY hate to take meds if I don't have to. I'm planning on wrist bands and ginger candies. I'll bring Bonine for back up. I "normally" don't get seasick but occasionally car sick if riding in the back seat.
20 sleeps!!!
moonwalk
P.S. Sorry I am addicted to emoticons.
caribdreamer
Privateer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very much up to the individual. I don't really like taking medication either. I know that I will likely feel queasy for the first day and I generally can't eat much breakfast the first morning, but I know it will pass so I tend not to bother with the meds. But I am bringing two newbies this time (daughter and niece) and I will probably recommend that they take something as I don't want their first experience to be unpleasant.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fairday wrote:
We carry random rope around a lot too. Handy dandy.
So does everyone pretty much take seasickness meds for prophylactic measures? I REALLY hate to take meds if I don't have to. I'm planning on wrist bands and ginger candies. I'll bring Bonine for back up. I "normally" don't get seasick but occasionally car sick if riding in the back seat.
20 sleeps!!!
moonwalk
P.S. Sorry I am addicted to emoticons.

Hi Fairday, I like emoticons too!

Not exactly bragging ('cause that will cause karma to strike) but I'm one who does not get barf from motion or the motion of the ocean. So, any information I provide regarding seasickness and prevention is only repeating what I've learned from others over the years.

Saucy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Sagitta Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: