The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thought provoking read

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Ye Olde Salt Book Club
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Thought provoking read Reply with quote

The Pearl That Broke It's Shell by Mumtaz Mustafa depicts the culture in Afghanistan, the changing country and how two families are impacted with gender roles, religion, and political climate. It is a very thought provoking read as it hard to believe that women have been/ are treated like scum. Progress has been made but there is a long way to go.
alishba

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:50 pm    Post subject: A Reply with quote

I am re-reading 'A Trip to the Beach' by Melinda Blanchard. I read it several years ago but now, having visited Anguilla back in January, I though I should read it again. It's a great read and although I didn't get to eat at Blanchards on Mead Bay when we were in Anguilla (they were only open for dinner and we were back onboard Sagitta by then) it was good to now put a 'face' to the restaurant and beach!
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great read that focuses on Grenada is "The Spice Necklace" by Ann Vanderhoof.
Bermuda Onion
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alishba,

Same thing happened to us!! I had read A Trip to the Beach several years ago and promised myself that if we were ever in Anguilla we would eat at Blanchards. So off we go to the beach looking forward to lunch at Blanchards only to find that it was only open for dinner and only the beach bar, serving burgers, fries etc was open for lunch! Not quite what we were looking for!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Ye Olde Salt Book Club All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: