The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nov 1, 2015 Solo Sojourn
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Sagitta Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MOHoser

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject: Friday, Oct 30 Happy Hour? Reply with quote

Ahoy, Solo Sojourners! Looks like several of us will arrive Sint Maarten on Friday, 10/30. How about planning a Greenhouse Happy Hour for Friday too? Will a target of 5-7 PM work? Looking forward to meeting all!
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Greenhouse is a great meeting place and watering hole.
MOHoser

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Hi Sandra! Does this mean there will be at least two of us for the Friday Happy Hour? Great!
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Doug. I wish! I wish! We're sailing Vela out of St. Martin next June.
MOHoser

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it! I also sail Vela in January out of St Lucia. Stay tuned!
Mary

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Hi there fellow travelers.... Reply with quote

Doug, I'll be arriving at SXM on Friday afternoon at 1:24 pm as well, but I'm staying on the other side of the island in Orient Beach. I would like to share a taxi for at least part of the ride. I'll have a blue duffle bag and red baseball cap.

Kris, this is also a milestone Bday gift from my husband. Hopefully I can find a bottle of champagne we can have a toast.

Not sure about happy hour on Friday, but if I can figure out the bus route I'll see you on Saturday.

So excited... need to get away and have some fun!

Mary :D
MOHoser

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mary! Good to hear from another IWJ sailor! If you are flying American from Charlotte, we are on the same plane! Check Seat 16A, if they let you escape from First Class.

When in St Maarten two years ago, I learned (the hard way) taxis charge based on zones, so careful communication when hiring is needed. Also, there is a local "bus" system that serves most of the island, but is quite informal. Most all travel is around the perimeter of the island, due to hills!

Orient Beach is the opposite side of the island from the airport - good news/bad news. The third apex of the geographic triangle is downtown Phillipsburg, where I am staying. I had planned to try to share a cab with John who arrives at 2pm and is staying near downtown Pburg. Was going to get zone topic clarified before we jump in.

Bottom line, if you want to talk, call my cell 636-448-6682 in the next couple hours, or wait until next week. Or use MOHoser@gmail.com for an email contact. Of course, we can always meet and talk upon airport arrival. Good Luck!

liv2vac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:39 am    Post subject: cab zones and sharing information Reply with quote

The cab zone for Phillipsburg is zone 5. the zone for Orient beach is zone 11.
I don't know the road system at all but they may go counterclockwise from the airport to zone 11,which would make sharing a possibility. Hope this helps. by the way the price to zone 11 from Airport is $30.00. the charge for extra passenger over 2 is $5.00 each person is allowed 1 piece of luggage included in price and additional is $1.00. the price list I have is from 2010 which is the most recent I could find. Looking forward to seeing everyone next week.
John
Mary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries.... I'll probably stay grounded at Coco Beach and hope there is a bar that is showing the world series. GO METS!!!!

Yep, I kind of figured it would cost $30 ish from airport to hotel... then $20 ish from hotel to port. I'm used to renting a car when in the VI's, but it's my first time in St Marrten.

Doug, we are on the same AA flight but I'll be in the nose-bleed section 30D. Either case, I have a 40 minute layover so I'll see you at the gate. Same blue duffle and a red cap.

John, thanks for the info....

Safe travels everyone,
Mary
MOHoser

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update to Mary, on flight from Charlotte. I changed seats, now will be in 13F, if you want to touch base en route. BTW, as I leave CLT, I will be looking for the Duty Free shop, to grab a bottle of adult beverage. We are allowed to bring aboard our own spirits, but it will be kept in the main bar area - a Good Deal if you enjoy a bedtime toddy. See everyone soon!
KateofSeaIsle
Privateer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of great liquor deals in SXM along Front St. and elsewhere. Have a great time on your trip!
MOHoser

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know - Thanks!
IndianaCheeseHead
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KateofSeaIsle wrote:
There are lots of great liquor deals in SXM along Front St. and elsewhere. Have a great time on your trip!

"Lots" just might be an understatement.

We always buy ours in Phillipsberg. You can even get Cuban rum(illegal in US) there.

guy w bottle
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SOLO sailors are frolicking in St. Barts today!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Sagitta Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: