The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

15 -21 and 22- 28 May 2016 back/back BVI
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Vela Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah yes...Village Cay Marina Resort & Hotel. That's were we stay when we are in Roadtown and going tall-ship sailing. Very nice open-air bar and restaurant right alongside the docks, and what a view that offers. Always some spectacular boats there, and then a few of the wacky water "craft" show up now and then. You can walk the docks to see the boats up close. Good food at the restaurant, and the bar often has a character or two. But note: restaurant service is on island time. Don't get there at 1:15 and think you'll be served and fed by the time your tender arrives at 2. Switch yourself to island time, and you'll do just fine!

This marina/hotel is about a half-mile walk from Maria's-by-the-Sea hotel and about the same from Pusser's--which is on the main street, while Maria's is on a short sidestreet that goes off the main street opposite Pusser's. From Maria's to Pusser's, hardly any distance at all. Also on same street with Maria's are the govt bldgs. Tortola is the capital of the BVI. Village Cay Marina & Hotel are on a long driveway off the main street. Beautiful grounds. Very nice waterfront rooms.

ENJOY!!!!
jacquie

Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Julie. yes I am staying the night before boarding and the night between the two trips at Maria's by the Sea. Vela will be anchored out and don't want to be stuck anchored out or have the crew waiting to take me back. As Jeff will tell you ILL BE ON LIBERTY .

[/url]
Island Spice
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, if I remember correctly, they offer laundry services at the hotel there. Dellie and I made a last minute decision to sail a second week on our last trip and we were able to get our dainty and other things laundered at a reasonable price. And I *think* it was Tortola. But that was 10 years ago, so...
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about Maria's, but Village Cay has laundry services....fee.
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to know and Ill have to ask in both places. Especially since Ill be there for two weeks. I remember get laundry done on St Lucia on the 12 day explore trip. Nice to have clean clothes. Ill be taking notes and posting a long trip report after this trip. Thanks Ladies. Paul

[/url]
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

getting closer shipmates we're down to three weeks and 2 day

[/url]
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

two weeks form today I should be drinking in Roadstown tortola and the next day on Vela

[/url]
dellie323
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: More info on Vela sail May 22 Reply with quote

I just wrote a new post in the Vela 5/22 sail thread.

Took me a while to catch up in this LONG thread, but I had fun reading all the info!

Cindy, when I sailed with you on Sagitta out of St. Lucia and we had seek safe harbor in Marigot Bay because of a nearby Tropical Storm, what was the hotel we stayed at?

I was trying to think of where to stay on Tortola in a few weeks, and I think I was thinking about THAT hotel in Marigot Bay.

dellie
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

couple of my suggestion are " st Thomas Bonglongo Bay and Tortola Maria at the Sea or Sebastian's Sebastian is good but on the other side of Tortola. I took Marai since is in the downtown area and recommended by anther IWJ sailor

[/url]
Island Spice
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: More info on Vela sail May 22 Reply with quote

dellie323 wrote:
I just wrote a new post in the Vela 5/22 sail thread.

Took me a while to catch up in this LONG thread, but I had fun reading all the info!

Cindy, when I sailed with you on Sagitta out of St. Lucia and we had seek safe harbor in Marigot Bay because of a nearby Tropical Storm, what was the hotel we stayed at?

I was trying to think of where to stay on Tortola in a few weeks, and I think I was thinking about THAT hotel in Marigot Bay.

dellie

Hi Dellie, are you referring to the hotel we stayed at in Rodney Bay before boarding Sagitta? We stayed at Bay Gardens Beach Resort.

Or are you talking about Marigot Bay, where we tied up during the storm, along with Diamant? Sorry I'm confused because we didn't stay at a hotel there, not that I recall. However, there is a hotel there across from the marina, it's the Marigot Bay Beach Club. If I recall correctly, there was a little water taxi to take people between the hotel and the other side with the marina. More on our website here: http://www.islandwindjammers.net/stlucia.html

But I'm not sure why you would want to stay on St. Lucia if Vela is sailing RT out of Tortola? That's a pretty big distance to cover. Let me know if I'm just confused...

on vacation

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dellie - we are staying at the Heritage in Tortola. Ester and Leslie stayed at Myetts which was our first choice, but it was booked.
on vacation

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8 days 17 hours 37 mins till i leave for the islands! YES I have a countdown app on my phone! :D
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see you down there. I leave on sat 14 May for Tortola.

[/url]
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: MY THOUGHTS ON MOSQUITOE PROTECTION Reply with quote

ZIKA DENGUE CHIKUNGUNGA

as we all get closer to leaving I thought I would post my thought on mosquitoes protection. Most of this has been spoke of already. I am using a few different things for protection from mosquitoes carrying these diseases.

CUTTER ALL FAMILY MOSQUITOES WIPES only 7.5 DEET

OFF DEEP WOODS 25 OR REPEL 40 DEET

SAWYER MAXI DEET 98 DEET

Lastly you can buy SAYWER Permethrin Premium Insect repellent for clothing.
You cannt spray directly on our body but I spray all my clothing before packing. It is odorless and claims last through 6 washing. (Homedepot carries this product)

I hate bring and adding to my packing but it is cost more in the islandS and sometimes you cannt find it.

See you all soon
Paul

[/url]
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you say next week we will all be in BVI counting the hours until we go onboard for our week on Vela. see you all soon

[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Vela Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: