The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

January 17 S/V Vela
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Vela Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MOHoser

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: January 17 S/V Vela Reply with quote

Looks like I am the first to reach out to other shipmates for the Jan 17th departure. Traveling solo, I arrive UVF at 3:22 pm Jan 15th via Delta #339 from Atlanta. It appears St Lucia airport is quite a distance from the Marigot Bay area, where we board Vela, so would be interested in sharing ground transportation, if that is possible. Also, of the three hotels recommended by IWJ, only one is in Marigot Bay area. Perhaps that list will be updated as departure date approaches. This will be my third IWJ sail!
Swiz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this on another thread but thought you might wNt to see it since it answers your questions.....

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:51 pm Post subject:
We stayed at the Oasis Marigot last year. It's in the bay but up the hill. You can take a Tram up. The rooms have an upstairs & downstairs.... Small kitchen. The view is great. The rooms are clean & the staff is friendly & the rates were reasonable. You can take water taxis to a handful of restaurants in the bay. We hired Real St. Lucia tours-Janus Guyan for transfers. From Rodney Bay, to the airport. You can find him on FB. He's very reliable, friendly & knowledgeable.
Saucy Secretary O The Sea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no personal knowledge of any of the hotels in Marigot Bay (yet), but I can tell you that even though the distance from Rodney Bay to Marigot Bay looks insignificant on the map of the island -- I paid $20US (1 person) for a taxi from Rodney Bay to Marigot Bay in August 2014 (it took almost 40 minutes to get there) and $80US (plus tip) for a taxi from Rodney Bay to the Airport that same week.

I've looked at the website for the recommended hotel at Marigot Bay and with their beach, facilities restaurant, and convenient location, I'm inclined to stay there. Will be interested to see where others stay and what they think of the accommodations.

If you are only going to be on island for 1 day pre-cruise, I would let IWJ arrange my airport/hotel, hotel/airport transfers and stay in Marigot Bay. If you are staying longer, either pre or post cruise, then you may want to explore other areas of the Island such as Rodney Bay or down toward the airport at Veux Fort.

Saucy
MOHoser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swiz & Saucy - Thanks much for your input! All worth digesting. Since my last post, I find (Expedia) a shuttle service for $100 round trip from international airport to "Marigot" (assume the Marigot Bay area?). And, I have booked two nights pre-sail at JJ's Paradise (?) Hotel on Marigot Bay. Looks near the anchorage, but not sure what else is around. They have a nice pool, so if nothing else.... languish. Still evaluating my post-sail two nights - why rush home?
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug be sure to report back on JJ's Paradise and your roundtrip taxi as
there are a lot of us who will be booking in the future. I really like the Capella Bay Marina. Be sure to stop by the ice cream store....yummy!! Sit there and enjoy your ice cream while you do a little "internet" surfing.
MOHoser

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to share if you can wait until next year! Have you stayed at Capella Bay, or just enjoyed their ice creme?
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diamant docked there for the night in May. Went to the Marina for ice cream and wifi, then to the small beach across from the marina for some vitamin sea!!
cap'nemo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOHoser: We're also coming in from STL for the Jan 17th sail. Odds are, we're on the same flight in. We'll also be staying at Marigot Bay, so if you still want to share a ride from the airport, we'd be interested.

Best,

Dean and Patsy
pjcurtiss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We stayed at the Hummingbird Resort in Souferie for a few days before our June cruise on Sagitta from St Lucia. It was reasonable, on a beach and included a nice breakfast, with a view of Petit Piton. It was walking distance to town and near nice beaches, the sulfur springs, waterfalls and many other attractions. We rented a car for two days and explored.
MOHoser

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Vela Jan 17th - Who Else? Reply with quote

Ahoy Vela Shipmates!

Ref Jan 17th Vela sailing, Dean, Patsy, and I have connected, and will be arranging transfer from UVF to Marigot Bay area for Jan 15th. Any others of you arriving UVF on Delta 339 at about 3:30p who want to join us? Note, that is on Friday, Jan 15th! FYI, pre-Vela, I will be staying at JJ's Paradise, Dean & Patsy at Oasis.

Also, I will stay a couple days post-Vela at Marigot Beach Club, then head to UVF for Jan 25th flight out at about 4:30p. Anyone else care to join me on Monday for this airport transportation? Looking forward to an outstanding Vela adventure!

Octoberbabe
Privateer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm staying at JJs Paradise in a couple of weeks. I'll give you a report when I return.

Di
kurt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:49 am    Post subject: transportation Reply with quote

Hi Doug,
I will be sailing with you on the 17th. I also sailed this itinerary on the Sagitta this past July. I used the transportation company they recommended and found them to be great. I will be sailing with a buddy and will be arriving on Saturday afternoon and staying at the Marigot Beach & Dive Resort. On my last trip some of the passengers met at a local bar for drinks/dinner the night before boarding.

Kurt
MOHoser

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kurt! As mentioned in previous posts, I arrive Fri 15th, and have teamed with Dean and Patsy from St Louis for transportation from airport to Marigot Bay. Not sure with whom Dean reserved for us. Before sail, I am at JJ's Paradise, after sail at Marigot Beach Resort. Leave there Tues, 25th. I am open to group ride back to airport then, if...

I am certainly willing to tip a few Sat evening, tell me what bread crumb trail to follow when, and I will do my best to appear. Thanks! Doug O

MichaelJohn

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, we are flying from London on Saturday 16th and staying at the Marigot Bay hotel. Very happy to meet shipmates for a drink....if we can stay awake!
Mike & Jennie
MichaelJohn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vela is currently off Roseau in Dominica. Just in case you do not know which is unlikely on this site; it is possible to follow Vela or any other vessel on www.marinetraffic.com, it takes a few minutes to set it up and it's free.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Vela Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: