The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

January 17 S/V Vela
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Vela Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cap'nemo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count Patsy and I in for drinks on Saturday.

As Doug said, just let us know where and when (although if we're struggling for ideas, the Capella has a place called "The Rum Cave"...worth a look by name alone...).

Best,

Dean and Patsy
Jotum
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rum Cave is at the Capella and is relatively small, somewhat upscale, has indoor and outdoor seating. Very relaxed atmosphere.

For more of an island real informal and lower prices I would recommend the Chateau Mygo which is a beach bar on the same side as the Capella but if you go to the end of the road and stand at the dock facing the water...walk along the water to the left.

You can also take free boats to Doolittle's at Marigot Beach Resort, Rainforest Hideaway (more for dinners), or Pirates Cove (did not go there but heard music from there)
MOHoser

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Saturday Gathering in Marigot Bay? RSVP? Reply with quote

Since I have seen no suggestions ref shipmates gettng together on Saturday (unless someone has made a proposal on Facebook, which I do not do, and info should then be shared here too, please), I offer the following:

Sometime after 4 PM, meet at The Roots Bar. It comes well recommended on Trip Advisor, is reported to be very friendly, on the beach, attractively priced, relaxed, and accessible. One note did say Cash Only, but is ranked 3rd of the about dozen restaurants in Marigot Bay, serving a local menu. Regardless of where you stay, it should be nearby. Oh! Ownership says to look for the Red-Green-Yellow building, for the Genuine Roots Bar!

Anyone reading this suggestion, please provide feedback TODAY, as some of us leave home early tomorrow AM. Looking forward to a fantastic week with you all! RSVP?

MOHoser

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry - did not see the previous suggestions posted, but will go with The Crowd - Roots does sound more informal - food may have higher ratings...
Jotum
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beach is relatively small. At the back of the beach there is a row of wooden Caribbean style businesses (maybe 4 or 5). The Roots bar is the one on the far left. Nothing fancy - basically a square box with the front having a ledge about half way up and open above that. Can stand at the ledge/bar or take your drink to one of the picnic tables. Sue, the manager/owner, is very nice and also has the JJ hotel villas.

Chateau Mygo has bar stools around the square bar and also picnic tables on the Capella side of the bay (or tables in the restaurant portion). Doolittle's has tables on the beach side of the bay.

I often wonder how tripadvisor ranks items because often you find ones with more stars ranked lower than those with a lower star average.
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Doug. Be sure to let us know where you go, and what you think of it. Will help those of us in the future make plans. thanks Ted for your take on the area. Been there on Diamant but not to stay. Did go to the little beach, and to the restaurant for ice cream and wifi on the Capella side down by the dock.
kurt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe we land around 2:30. We will head over to Roots after we check in.
I will check blog via wifi after we land for updates.
Kurt
cap'nemo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those wanting to meet up in the evening, it looks like Doolittles is the starting point (good location, plus the 5 - 7 Happy Hour has a certain appeal...). Ran into Doug there, tonight, and we agree that it makes sense...we can always branch out from there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Vela Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: