The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vela cabin mate July 19-July 1 2016

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Looking for a Cabin Mate?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cmc210

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Vela cabin mate July 19-July 1 2016 Reply with quote

I'm hoping to sail June 19 to July 1st next summer 2016 but need a cabin mate..... there is already 1 share on the ship and they won't let me share with him. On board will also be the infamous Tuck and Sandra.
Going thru my list of former sailing buddies. Kim
caribbeangirl
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kim,
I would love to but am sailing the week before that. If you need anyone in the future feel free to contact me as I am usually looking too. Are they requiring us to find cabin mates now?

Margo
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! Singles can book the solo cabins, find a roommate or take their chances and book as a single within two months of the sail. The information is on the IWJ website.
caribbeangirl
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star Clippers finally got their act together and is accepting singles. We have gone backward into discrimination.
GeorgiaGirl
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are solo cabins every week Island Windjammers sails. You generally have to book early to get one because they are very popular!
caribdreamer
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it's fair to call it discriminatory- not many other travel options provide accommodation specifically for solo travelers.
dutz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caribdreamer wrote:
I don't think it's fair to call it discriminatory- not many other travel options provide accommodation specifically for solo travelers.

In small boats with limited cabin space leaving an empty space is a significant reduction. I would not be surprised if it eats all profit margin.

Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I AM SAFE FOR NOW BEING SINGLE. I HAVE A BACK/BACK TRIP SCHEDULED FOR MAY 2016 ON THE VELA. I TOO FEEL WE HAVE TAKEN A STEP BACKWARDS IN WORKING WITH SINGLES. I WILL SEE HOW THE WINDS ARE AFTER THE NEXT TRIP. I AM GUESSING IT WOULD BE A DIAMANT AGAIN.

[/url]
Liz
Flagwaver and Keeper of the Flame

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dutz wrote:

In small boats with limited cabin space leaving an empty space is a significant reduction. I would not be surprised if it eats all profit margin.

You hit the nail on the head, dutz. Over time, the statistic is that 70% of "share" cabins sail with only one occupant. That's a big profitability hit on ships as small as ours, and that's why we constructed budget-friendly solo cabins on Sagitta and Vela. On Vela we also have the cadet cabins available for solo occupancy at a great rate--the cadet cabins have private bathrooms, too. And then there are the Solo Sojourn cruises on Sagitta, when all cabins except the Owners Suite can be booked as shares. We truly value our solo sailor business!

calsailor
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks, Liz for that explanation. I was sure that was true as I have booked as a solo share and not had a roomie when the ship was otherwise full.

This is a great site and there are many of us singles out there so it should not be a huge issue to try to find a roomie..... I have met many of my very best friends in life that way (e.g., my very missed, very best friend Linda.) I would never have met her had not sailed on a ship that did not allow single shares!!

604week4&5
Privateer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the web page should be updated to inform the single travelers that it is now their responsibility to find a cabin mate or book a solo cabin or one at a premium rate...

Q. I'm a single traveler. Are there other solo travelers? What cabin options are available for me?
A. We welcome solo travelers all year round! We have two tiny, private solo cabins on both Sagitta and Vela. The two solo cabins on each ship share a bathroom. All cadet, standard, and deluxe cabins are available for private reservation at a premium single supplement rate (please inquire). You can also book as a “share” (we assign a cabin mate) in a standard or deluxe double cabin within sixty days of a sailing date.
GeorgiaGirl
Privateer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's on the website in FAQ section under the Life Onboard tab. :D

Q. I'm a single traveler. Are there other solo travelers? What cabin options are available for me?
A. We welcome solo travelers all year round! We have two tiny, private solo cabins on both Sagitta and Vela. The two solo cabins on each ship share a bathroom. All cadet, standard, and deluxe cabins are available for private reservation at a premium single supplement rate (please inquire). You can also book as a “share” (we assign a cabin mate) in a standard or deluxe double cabin within sixty days of a sailing date.

Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't going to post anything and was going to "rest on my oars". Travelling as single most of the time SUCKS big time. It stinks wanting to go on a vacation and having to pay 150% for a room in a hotel. A example is I was all set to go to Bora Bora a few years ago with Club Med. They closed the resort in Bora Bora. I was using their single share and the trip was going to cost around 6000 with the air. Once I found out that the resort was closed , my travel agent looked at hotels for me. My 6000 Club Med went to a 14,000 hotel vacation. The increase was because of paying for being single. You guessed it I didn't go to Bora Bora. THE EASY ANSWER OF GETTING SOMEONE TO GO WITH YOU. ISNT THAT EASY. First of all the cost of the trip. I will use my two trips on Diamant. They were 12 day explorer adventures. Roughly, air fare, Diamant, hotel, trip insurance, tip and airport parking and spending money is around 6500. Hate to say this but not everyone of my friends want to drop that amount of money is sail BAREFOOT CRUISES. Most of my female friends tell me for that amount of money they want the cruises ships with the pink umbrellas in their drinks. Yes they are HIGH MAINTENANCE.

I fully understand the IWJ and other companies need to fill rooms and would like to sail at 100%. Again using the Diamant trips as a example , we had 10 on one trip and 6 on the other trip. Each one of these trips had two singles. If they didn't have singles booked they would have really been likely loaded.

Since these vacations aren't cheap I see most of the time that the average age group in 50 plus. I am sure there has to be many singles that do sail on IWJ. I am safe for the next trip in May 2016 for Vela in BVI. I just wonder what will happen after that trip. I would more than likely look at going back to Diamant for another 12 day explore. I am wondering with her downsizing to 10 paying sailors if this is going to be available to singles. Going to Grenada does take some planning and trying to wait until 60 days before leaving and then finding out you cannt go would not leave me happy. Plus, getting the best air and hotels within that small window you would have to pay more. Again using Diamant as a example with the smaller paying sailors the 12 day explore trip increased by 1000 dollars (if I remember correctly) . That isn't a turn off for me but could be for others and you will need these single to fill those holes

In closing, let me say a few things. I wasn't going to write this much but felt it need saying. I am a big supporter of IWJ both on this SEA SHANTY , trip advisor and IWJ facebook page. They are a great company and I really enjoyed my vacations. If any of this sounds like I am negative , I am not. I AM JUST SINGLE. ha ha

[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Looking for a Cabin Mate? All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: