The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new picture of VELA
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Vela Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chip was the the main gaff topsail or the mizzen gaff topsail ever sailed during your time. remember one time on Flying Cloud she had all sails up . even the square sails. what a beautiful sight. thanks . I be sailing for two weeks in 4 months. Paul

[/url]
Pirate 4 Hire
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul wrote:
Chip was the the main gaff topsail or the mizzen gaff topsail ever sailed during your time. remember one time on Flying Cloud she had all sails up . even the square sails. what a beautiful sight. thanks . I be sailing for two weeks in 4 months. Paul

Hey Paul! I may be mistaken, but on one sail we flew all the canvas minus the lower topsail. Every time I turned around either Captain Delyan or First Mate Patricio were up in the rigging unfurling another hidden gem of canvas. I did not have my trusty sail description photo on hand to make certain they were all actually out. Also, I don't recall seeing any image on the raffee. Totally possible that there was an image but from topside I did not notice it.

EDIT-The lower 7 sheets flew almost every time we sailed. Captain and crew worked vigorously to make sure that we saw lots of sails flying!

Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liz told me the OLD raffe sail didn't come with the ship. The raffe sail use to have a flying fish on it. Maybe they made a new raffe. Ill be all over the sails and the ship(Vela) with questions in a few months( May 15-28) . Ill be taking a lot of picture and will ost too. thanks for the infor.

[/url]
kat1021

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Vela Reply with quote

Would love to see interior pictures if anyone has any ... cabins and eating area. And the beds...trying to figure out if I should bring bed rails as my elderly (but adventurous) father sometimes falls out of bed. Thanks!
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kat, sent you a pm. Hope the pm helps. Ask as many questions as you need to and other who sailed before are here to help. the boats don't rock at all. the little it does puts you to sleep. I served in the Navy most of my life and been in real rough weather that we had to use rails. Maybe if you aren't use to it rails would be better safe than sorry. why not Ask IWJ of they have any. I don't see any reason for them. If you are sailing BVI. It is like a lake. Remember the sailor saying" one hand for the ship and one for the sailor. Again we are here to help if you haven't done this before.

Paul

[/url]

Last edited by Paul on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
caribbeangirl
Privateer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vela rocks. Bed rails would be a good idea. Speaking from experience.
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Caribbeangirl...Vela definitely was rockin' 2 nights of our Christmas week sail. It should be noted she was not on her planned
route. Weather was such that captain opted for the Grenadines instead of the French West Indies.
If the route we took was considered calmer re those two nights, I can't imagine what the FWI route was like that week!

whistling Anyway, don't ever believe it when someone says a sailing ship doesn't rock. Of course it does! Sometimes gently, sometimes
not. Depends on the time of year, the weather, the route as to how much.

Glad to see you back here in the harbor, Caribbeangirl! Was fun sailing with you!

Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember one time sailing the Polynesia in the ABC Islands everyone but me and two girls were in bed seasick . Even the bartender was missing. She ( the ship) was laying over on her side and really sailing.
I've been in typhoons at sea on a flat bottom LST and other ships. Sometimes I forget not everyone handles the waves like Sailor Paul. Sorry. I think I can say that if you are sailing BVI , you are pretty sure of good water. I always heard that BVI is a good place to take someone who is notsure about sailing vacations. BUT NOTHING IS 100% WITH THE SEA OR NEPTUNE REX.

[/url]

Last edited by Paul on Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Paul....reread your first couple of sentences again:
Some interesting images come to mind!!! LOL!

Your are correct: the ships sail more smoothly in the BVI, or
they have when we've been on 'em in Feb and March.

Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess you could read it a few different ways. Maybe Ill edit. haha

[/url]
Railmon Mike
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I was on a cruise that didn't rock was when the Flying Cloud was sailing the BVI's out of Tortola. Sometimes more noticeable than other times but that's the way it is. Although some people might like rails, I wouldn't something like a strap to hold. As for seasickness in general, SeaBands work real good for me.

Last edited by Railmon Mike on Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
kat1021

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all! I'll bring the bed rails for my dad. We are sailing the West Indies in and out of St. Lucia.
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better to be safe than sorry, altho you should calmer seas by the time you're sailing. :D
SXM_beachbum

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:46 pm    Post subject: Deck pictures of Vela? Reply with quote

Now that Vela has sailed a few times, has anyone posted any pictures of her decks? Maybe I missed them, and if I did, maybe someone could direct me to them?

Thanks in advance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Vela Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: