The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

March 13-19, 2016
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Vela Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chefcarl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: March 13-19, 2016 Reply with quote

Only 25 days until we leave Marigot Bay on the Vela. We have been told we are not alone on the ship; however, there don't seem to be any March threads. We are Sara and Carl hailing from chilly West Lafayette, Indiana. Although we have cruised a number of times, this will be our first on a sailing vessel. We are looking forward to warm days, blue skies and great company. Anyone coming along?
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chefcarl, I am sailing Vela few weeks after you. 15-28 May in BVI. Yes I am sailing for 2 weeks. If you are new to the Sea Shanty, you will find some people like me who are on it everyday and others post nothing. this will be my third time sailing with IWJ. I did two 12 day trips on Diamant in Grenada before. Both trips were super and I am sure you will have a super time too. I don't now much about the St Lucia area but if you use the Sea Shanty as a tool and read all the posts . You will find many answers to your questions. If you don't find a answer , just post a question and someone will help. suggest you look at Trip Advisor too. Another list you might want to join is SCOTTS TALL SHIP SAILING. That too have some posting and other not posting. Good luck. Paul

[/url]
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome chefcarl.....what Paul said: yes!
You are in for a treat! And even if you don't find fellow sailors before your trip, you will surely find a lot of fun people during. I've sailed with IWJ 5 times and more to come.
cocktail jacquie cocktail jacquie cocktail

sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One BIG tip: Go with the flow and don't expect your sailing experience to be a big cruise ship experience. Crew members are professional and also a lot of fun and so very helpful. Passengers are laid back and lovin "the now" and a lot of fun. The ship's cabins are cozy, but the public spaces are super. Vela sails beautifully, but that does mean you might get some rocking when on the go. The food, while without a menu, is plentiful and very, very good. The ports: a variety of experiences await, from laid back to metropolitan. The experience, if you'll let be so, is wonderful!
msilady
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Gwen and Mike from Milwaukee area Reply with quote

Sara and Carl

Gwen and Mike: We'll join you from the Milwaukee area.
We've sailed before on the old windjammers.
We have really enjoyed Diamant many times and Sagitta...
Guess we're old salts.

We'll be joined this trip by brother and his wife from San Diego.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Mike
Chefcarl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Thanks to all... Reply with quote

for welcoming us aboard. We are looking forward to just relaxing - books, beaches, and of course, Velacoladas! I think we are both looking for something beyond the typical cruise ship madness, and this looks to be just right.

Carl
CarlandSara

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Can't wait! Reply with quote

Gwen & Mike,

This is Sara. We are flying from O'Hare on the 12th. We are definitely looking forward to the non-rat-race of the big ships. This will be our 1st IWJ cruise, but I'm sure it won't be our last!!!
We look forward to meeting you & your San Diego family.

Sara
CarlandSara

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: St. Lucia arrival Reply with quote

Hello, all.

A couple of questions:
1)We'll be arriving at UVF St. Lucia on Saturday, 3/12, around 4:30PM. Is anybody else arriving around then? Interested in sharing transportation to Marigot Bay area? We're starting to look into a ride from the airport to JJ's Paradise, and the St. Lucia Airport Shuttle looks promising. We'd be willing to share a ride, if that works for anybody.
2)Are there any games on the Vela, or is anybody interested in card games? We could bring Quiddler, Twenty-Four, Backgammon, or Phase 10. If nobody is interested, we're good with that, too.

We are 3 weeks away from an AWESOME vacation!
Sara

cocktail hunger photo
Shelly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband and I are also sailing March 13-19 on Vela. We are flying from California and arrive in St. Lucia on March 10th. Staying 3 nts at The Inn on the Bay. We have been on the "big" cruises and nothing compares to IWJ. Our previous sails were on Yankee Clipper and Diamant.

Looking forward to making new friends.

Scott & Shelly
Pirate 4 Hire
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: St. Lucia arrival Reply with quote

CarlandSara wrote:

2)Are there any games on the Vela, or is anybody interested in card games? We could bring Quiddler, Twenty-Four, Backgammon, or Phase 10. If nobody is interested, we're good with that, too.

I don't remember if there were games on Vela yet, but I'm betting there is a small variety of things available. Those sort of things tend to come down island with passengers and then they leave them behind for the next group to utilize and to make room in their suitcases for items bought down island. I'd lay top dollar down that there is at a minimum a deck of cards floating about. I always take a book to read, some trips it's done by day 2 and other trips I barely open it.

CarlandSara

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: And thanks, again! Reply with quote

That's good to know, too. You just never know what might be entertaining for an evening! :-)
Pirate 4 Hire
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: And thanks, again! Reply with quote

CarlandSara wrote:
That's good to know, too. You just never know what might be entertaining for an evening! :-)

You'll have a great time! My wife and I hail from INDY, both Ball State alum but when BSU isn't playing it's all BOILERUP!! And we love People's Brewing!

CarlandSara

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: And thanks, again! Reply with quote

Pirate 4 Hire wrote:
CarlandSara wrote:

You'll have a great time! My wife and I hail from INDY, both Ball State alum but when BSU isn't playing it's all BOILERUP!! And we love People's Brewing!

Small world! We've been in WL for 18 years now. Pretty good for 2 military brats!
Out of curiosity, did you fly from Indy or CHI?
Pirate 4 Hire
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: And thanks, again! Reply with quote

CarlandSara wrote:
Pirate 4 Hire wrote:
CarlandSara wrote:

Small world! We've been in WL for 18 years now. Pretty good for 2 military brats!
Out of curiosity, did you fly from Indy or CHI?

We flew from INDY, connecting through Atlanta. I travel a lot for work so we are blessed to be able to use frequent flier miles for most of our trips.

Chefcarl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Vaccinations Reply with quote

Question - are there any vaccinations required for the islands that we are visiting? We just received our Pre-cruise information email and I noticed that it was mentioned in the documents. I am assuming not since the itinerary is subject to change, but thought to check with the board.

On another tack, it is snowing here - a heavy wet snow. It just makes us anxious for the trip!

Carl
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Vela Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: