The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

zika virus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Vela Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
modern day pirate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: zika virus Reply with quote

Do sailing passengers have concerns about the zika virus? Have you cancelled your trip? What precautions is Island Windjammers taking to help passengers who contract the virus and have symptoms on the ship?
Liz
Flagwaver and Keeper of the Flame

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MDP,

Mosquitoes in the Caribbean and the world over have always carried nasty diseases--some examples being dengue fever, malaria, West Nile virus, and in more recent years Chikungunya and Zika. Although research is still ongoing regarding Zika, symptoms are fairly mild in most people. The tragic microcephaly birth defect which has been increasing significantly in Zika-infected pregnant women may also be a result of larvicides used in those areas--this is still being looked at.

The CDC is not recommending restricted travel to the Caribbean--you can read more about that here: http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/alert/zika-virus-caribbean

IWJ's philosophy has always been the same. Pack plenty of strong mosquito repellent, and wear it faithfully. This is spelled out in our pre-cruise information, as well as in the cabin literature on board the vessels.

Any guest who becomes ill on board, with any condition, is always offered the option of medical care ashore. Our crew members are trained in basic first aid. First aid supplies and an automatic defibrillator are carried on board all three ships.

Hope this helps!

Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year it was Chinkgunga (spelling I wrong) mosquitos in the Caribbean. This along with dengue fever. Now we have ZIKA. What I do is have trip insurance. Have all my shots up to date by my doctor . Last I bring the BEST MISQUITO PROTECTION I CAN BUY. I have found that Max DEET which is
95 % deet seems to be a good anti protection. I use it very freely. I got Max Deet on amazon

[/url]
brianc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just returned frim a trip to 7 different islands and we never even saw a
mosquito.

Brian
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Liz stated Zika problem with pregnant women in Brazil could have been cause by larvicdes treatment of the water supply in Brazil. The jury is still out on this subject. As the Boy Scouts says " be prepared:.

[/url]
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was worried about chikunguya last year: yet we sailed 2x in Caribbean and once in New England waters in 2015, and nary a skeeter bite and only saw one or two. But we had our Deet wipes and heavy duty Deet spray. Used the wipes, not the spray.

I don't think any ship--jammer or foo foo--should be expected to tackle/cure any of these viruses or be responsible for anyone who contracts such, beyond what IWJ already does re anyone who is sick on board. There are warnings re all kinds of issues for travel in many parts of the world. It's up to each of us to do what we can to be alert, be prepared and if need be, make different plans.

That said, as has been noted, IWJ captains and crews have been ready to assist any passenger with a problem, medical or otherwise, and do so.

Railmon Mike
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are risks everywhere & so I have no intention of changing my travel plans. Deet wipes will be packed but my bigger concerns are the bumps & bruises from being a clumsy oaf.
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a personal problem! :D Rolling Eyes whistling
Tim
Privateer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the stuff. Not too much deet and works like a champ. Best of all easy to carry.
caribbeangirl
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go easy on yourself, Mike!
Railmon Mike
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quote a famous cartoon sailor - "I yam what I yam." And even though it looks like seaweed, I still likes me spinach.
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get those Deep Woods packets as singles, as many as you want or as few as you want, from minimus.biz.
That's the super site for travel items/foods/toiletries etc in smaller sizes and in singles I noted in the Brethern of the Coast section.

dutz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Wisconsin where I hike a lot the mosquitos call 25% deet an appetizer. Nothing less than 95+ will do.
Privateer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zika is being taken seriously in Puerto Rico, particularly as rainy season approaches and the possibility of standing water increases. Unfortunately, they are predicting the infection rate could reach 1 in 5 by the end of the year. This is in part because the majority of housing, schools and other public buildings do not have screens to keep the mosquitos out. Education campaigns are underway, and communities are increasing spraying to knock them out before they get out of control. I have to admit that I've seen *very few* mosquitoes in the last few months - probably due to the increased efforts in my community.

I'm not saying this to be an alarmist. Actually, quite the opposite. Last week while on business travel in Seattle I became quite ill - typical flu symptoms. When the doctor learned I live in Puerto Rico, she was visibly concerned and stepped away to do some research. She came back before my flu test results were even completed and said I really had nothing to worry about - even if I had it, the symptoms would be minimal. (Fever, red/itchy eyes, rash.) Of course we ruled out the possibility of pregnancy. She said it wasn't even worth testing to see if I had it - but I don't think they had the test there - it's a fairly new test with limited availability. I was probably the first person she's come in contact with that made her even think about Zika - and once she did some research, it wasn't a big deal. There seems to be a fair bit of hysteria until people look into it further.

Chikungunya, on the other hand, is a nasty bugger that you should pray to avoid. I know several people who contracted it, and they were miserable. But no one I know of has had lasting effects, and I haven't heard of anyone getting it recently.

As has been mentioned, use mosquito repellant, and avoid places on shore with standing water where mosquitos breed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Vela Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: