The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Allamanda

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Diamant Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim
Privateer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Allamanda Reply with quote

I just posted this review on Trip Advisor

6-star location
The Allamanda has perhaps the best spot on Grand Anse beach. It is almost in the center of things and has a large almond tree for shade just outside the fence. I have been staying here off and on for the past seven years.
The rooms are large, with TV, Fridge, coffee maker (2 cup) and comfortable beds. They put new mattresses on the second day we were there. Each room has a balcony or patio. The staff does an excellent job of cleaning and caring for the room. Everyone is friendly and year after the same customers return.
The pool is well kept with plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas. Free lounges are available for use on the beach. A new restaurant is scheduled to open in March 2016 next to the pool.
Snorkeling trips and water activities are available on the hotel grounds.
Currency is exchanged at the desk at a reasonable rate of 2.6 EC for one $1 US.
The local bus to St George can be gotten just outside the entrance for $1 US or 2.5 EC.
The facility is getting some age and not everything is perfect. Most might consider it a 3 star but considering all I would rate it a 4 star.

caribbeangirl
Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you! Love the Allamanda! Close to Umbrella's, Spiceland Mall (IGA), and Wall St.
dutz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in your responses to some of the reviews I have read.

When I read online reviews for anything I always look at the most negative ones first. I try to disregard ones that seem to be the reviewers misplaced expectations, their lack of understanding of what they were buying, or simply their own fault.

Then I look for consistent patterns where many reviewers had the same experience.

Then I turn to the best reviews and look for details, i.e. not filled with general adjectives like "great", "wonderful", etc. A person from the hills of Tennessee might consider running water wonderful (o.k., that was a joke :)).

I am staying three nights ahead of the cruise, and two nights after, so I wanted to do my best to make sure I went with as sure a bet as possible. I ended up with the Radisson on the front end and the Coyaba on the back.

My concern with Allamanda was there were enough reviews that left the impression that it was an older hotel, not update for decades, with issues like door locks not working, etc., and the primary concern was the management didn't seem to understand these were important issues.

I stay in a lot of hotels in all price ranges and conditions, and I have run into managements where they were not interested in investing in or spending money on the facility, and took an attitude of "the door lock doesn't work?, tie a wire around the handle", "the leg on the bed is broken? prop a book under it", and the solutions were the guests to find.

That was the image coming to mind. I decided not to worry whether it was true, just move on to the next hotel in my search.

Privateer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dutz we have stayed at a lot of different hotels in Grenada but have settled on the Allamanda for the last 7 years. Yes it is old and out dated but it is the perfect location on Grand Anse; has a clean pool with beach towels; beach lounges; great staff; clean rooms; and security. When we've had a problem ie ac not working or running toilet, it has been fixed the day we reported the problem.

Glad to hear the restaurant will be reopening. I think the son-in-law is now running the place as the owner is elderly. Sounds like he is trying to update the place.

dutz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I will have to go check it out while I am there.

In case I am enticed to return. :D

Privateer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price is right if you book it from the right site.
604week4&5
Privateer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We always stay at the Grenada Grand Hotel (Now Radisson) and have never been disappointed. It costs a bit more than the Alamanda but well worth it.
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We haven't tried either of those, but we do love True Blue. So lush and tropical, very nice accommodations, water toys (for rent) and open-air restaurant and bar with many excellent choices. Friendly, attentive staff.
Bermuda Onion
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We always stayed at The Flamboyant until two years ago when we were with friends who had stayed there previously so knew about the steps. On this occasion they found the steps hard going so we switched to the Grenada Grand (as it was then, it's the Radisson now). Whilst it was a very convenient hotel for the beach and the local bus service unfortunately the hotel had plumbing problems whilst we were there and our friends' room was flooded and water cut off to our area of the hotel so we were moved to not such good rooms which rather took the shine off our stay.

My husband and I returned to Grenada in January this year and decided to stay at the Coyaba and I don't think we will ever stay anywhere else when in Grenada!! It was convenient for the supermarket, buses, beach, Umbrella's and La Boulangerie. Staff were excellent, room was very good and housekeeping kept it spotless. Staff would arrange our sun beds either on the grass inside the fence or outside on the beach whatever we wanted. Everything was no trouble. I would highly recommend the Coyaba, it costs a little more but well worth the extra expense.

BPandGS

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:14 pm    Post subject: We stay at Coyaba now Reply with quote

We stayed at Allamanda the first few times we sailed on Windjammers (both the old line and on IWJ). A few years ago one of their maintenance people started hinting about wanting a tip, and becoming very pushy about it. Since then, we've moved next door to the Coyaba. Very similar rooms, although newer than Allamanda, and better grounds. It's just as convenient to Grand Anse beach and Spiceland Mall, obviously. It will cost a few dollars more, but nothing that'll break the bank.

By the way, you can also exchange your dollars to EC and get the official rate at the bank in Spiceland Mall.
remimc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone stayed at the Allamanda lately? Have they re-opened their restaurant? It would make breakfast a little more convenient.
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The restaurant deal at the Allamanda fell through so they are now looking for another vendor. You can walk across the street to the New York Bagel Shop or walk down to the Siesta Hotel which is the sister hotel to the Allamanda and have breakfast at La Papillion which is quite good. Other options include the fast food restaurant in Spiceland Mall does breakfast, get a smoothie at the Native ? something or other, or but some yogurt, etc at the grocery store in the Mall as you have a small refrigerator in your room.

Last June we went to the Coyaba for their breakfast buffet. Not good, and we won't go there again.

Jotum
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to the Allamanda in Feb before the cruise and then the Radison after the cruise. Have always loved the location of the Allamanda with the almond tree. (Dutz, I lived in Chicago and now live in TN...running water in TN tastes better than in Chicago and we have much better views with the Smoky Mountains)
remimc

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Sandra, for the update .................
caribbeangirl
Privateer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bummed the restaurant deal fell through. It was really looking good. I wonder what next?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Diamant Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: