The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BVI Beach Bars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Islands from A to Z
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Island Spice
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: BVI Beach Bars Reply with quote

Adding on to SailorJM's post about current BVI info, here's some beach bar suggestions. I have to admit that I haven't been to the BVI since Jammerfest 2008, and my last sailing trip was I think 2005. Not meant to be a definitive guide - just some of the places I remember.

It's worth it to pick up a copy of "The Drinking & Eating Guide to the BVI" 4th edition by Julian Putley. This version was released in 2014. It contains colorful information about the best food and drink establishments in the BVI, and includes a ton of freebies and coupons. I think I have the second and third editions, I need to order the fourth. The new version doesn't appear to be available on Amazon, but you can order it from a fellow BVI fan here: http://www.angelinacat.com/SALES.htm. It's probably available at the airport gift shop on Tortola.

Tortola
Bomba's Surfside Shack - maybe you'll find a couple of license plates that Dellie and I put up the last time we were there for Jammerfest in 2008. Mine was a Washington plate Z4PLAY. :) They usually have a big full moon party where they brew up and serve a special tea with rum and allegedly some kind of psychotropic fungus. I didn't like it, and I think it's more hype, but they sure sell a lot of it!

Quito's - I remember going there for dinner and dancing after our Flying Cloud FART II trip back in 2001.

Virgin Gorda
Mad Dog's for Pina Coladas and shrimp sandwiches. It's at the top of the hill above The Baths.

The Baths - a Natural wonder of the world. There used to be a beach bar at the bottom of the hike down that served really good Mango Margaritas.

Jost Van Dyke
Ivan's Stress Free Bar - on the right side of White Bay - if you land near Soggy Dollar, you need to climb over a little hill to get there. It used to be an honor bar, but I think that changed with a remodel.

Soggy Dollar Bar - on the left side of White Bay - they make decent Painkillers, but the last time it was way too commercialized and lost some if its appeal. Hopefully it's better now, but it's a big spot for yachties and day trippers, including some big ship cruise excursions.

White Bay - there are a ton of great beach bars to the left of Soggy Dollar - I recommend walking all the way down the beach first, then decide if you want to go back to Soggy Dollar. Be sure to stop at Gertrude's for a Baileys Banana Colada and One Love for a Bushwacker.

Foxy's - you might want to take a taxi, but it's technically possible to walk there - just up and down a BIG hill to the other side. It may not be "happening" during the day, but usually a pretty wild time at night when there are a lot of people there. Famous for his Firewater Rum.

Corsair's - a great restaurant over the hill before you reach Foxy's. Not sure if it's open during the day, I think I've only been for dinner.

Norman Island
Willy T's - a floating bar off the beach. Not sure if he's still there, but the bartender Zeus was quite...entertaining. They used to have a frozen margarita machine that I can't say no to. Back in the day, ladies could get a free t-shirt for jumping off the top of the boat naked. Of course you passed right by the bar on the way down, so Zeus always had a nice view. I don't know if they still allow it for safety reasons. I think I have at least two t-shirts in my collection...

There's also a beach bar on Norman Island - it used to be Billy Bone's, but now it's Pirate's Bight and it looks pretty upscale compared to the old beach bar. The last time we were there we could get a sand buckets full of Mudslides...I think Winefrog and I shared one, but between that and Willy T's...things are a little hazy!

Prickly Pear Island
I'm pretty sure we went to the Sandbox Bar & Grill, but the name could have changed since my last Windjammer on Mandalay...I think it was in 2005.

Saba Rock - a tiny boutique hotel and restaurant on a 1.5 acre island right off the shore from the Sandbox. It's pretty upscale. I think Dellie and I took the sea kayaks there for a couple of hours.

Cooper Island - meh. There's the Cooper Island Beach Club, but not one of the more memorable islands, from my perspective.

Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Island spice, I just order the book. seven weeks from tonight I will be drinking something in Pussers. I have been to BVI before and remember very fondly the places you talked about. Had to laugh about your comment of Cooper Island. I remember it the same way. I too sailed the Flying Cloud twice in BVI. I sailed Arabella and another Maine boat called Roseway in the BVI too.

all information is helpful. thanks

Paul cocktail jacquie

[/url]
caribbeangirl
Privateer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quito's is one of my favorites and he still plays a couple fo nights each week. This is where I learned to dance island style back in 1987 when I was sailing a 40 foot boat.
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Island Spice, it's clear you're a far better pirate than me!! whistling

Re Pirate's Bight: yes, that's the name. It is considered upscale, for the islands, and very nice, great menu, service super, food delicious. Prices were average. It's a large open-air restaurant on the beach, with full roof, but no walls and with a full-on beautiful bar. Tables range from duos to large group tables. Folks there were dressed from shorts/sandals to Caribbean dressy. It also can be a bit noisy if full. We've been there when someone had a giant Jenga tower going on the beach: pull a piece out of the tower and hope it doesn't fall. If it does: chug a beer. Lots of beer, lots of laughs.

In March, we found a smaller tropical restaurant was a bit to the left of Pirate's Bight that was more intimate, quieter and had a solo entertainer (Jack Johnson style). More laid back, but very nice. Don't recall the restaurant name, but from the boat dock, Pirate's Bight is to the right, the smaller one is to the left.

Use bug spray or wipes: we found lots of no-seemums in March. Not sure if they were skeeters. It was like tiny pinpricks when they bit, but no itch spots developed.

winefrog
Bon Vivant & Sybarite

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shared a Mudslide??? I believe there was more than one sand bucket on this stop...prior to shotskis on the Willie T cocktail cocktail
Island Spice
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:) Clearly the details are a little fuzzy! How could I forget the shotski???
Island Spice
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, my book order arrived today. :) Looking forward to checking it out as I sit on my patio, overlooking the blue water, listening to the waves crash at the beach, drinking my...Crystal Light. Rolling Eyes Oh well, life isn't perfect.

I also ordered the Cruising Guide to the Virgin Islands, 2015/2016 edition. I think my luggage will have more books than clothes!

Cheers!

Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Island spice Lady,
I sent Monk two emails for the book. Never got a reply. I don't want to double order from another web iste I guess I can get it in BVI next month. What do you think. Paul

[/url]
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Island spice Lady,

I went back to his web site and found his phone number and called him. Talked to Frank and he remember you too. He is sending me a email and Il will order tonight. thanks for the help Paul

[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Islands from A to Z All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: