The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

April 3 - 9 2016 BVI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Sagitta Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saucy Secretary O The Sea

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:14 am    Post subject: April 3 - 9 2016 BVI Reply with quote

Okay, I'll admit it ... with over 45 years of poking around in the Caribbean, I've never, ever set foot in the BVI. First time for everything I guess. Since I'm not into the bar crawl scene, I'm going to look for hiking, snorkling, photography spots and swimming.

Sagitta, here we come!! Can you spell "home again"? Sagitta is a very comfortable, fun ship and I can't wait to see her and her crew again!

Saucy (and Mr. Bill)
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been a few years since BVI but if you want any suggestion just ask. Otherwise I sail on Vela in BVI in @ 7 weeks

[/url]
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The snorkeling in the BVIs is the BEST!! Enjoy!
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandra, I haven't forgot about checking out and getting a picture of cabin # 6 for you. I will give you two suggestions for BVI. Go to Marina Cay Island . It is owned by Pussers rum. short ferry boat ride from roadstown. Pussers has it own boat. good for a drink and quick food. Good view. I am going to try and go to Virgin Gorda on the day between my two cruises. Thinking about renting a car and driving around to different beaches and places . The Baths are great but there is much more to see. The rental car companies get good reviews on trip advisor. Just my thought from a shipmate IWJ.

[/url]
nancark
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saucy- Nice hike on Virgin Gorda from Bitter End Yacht Club up to top of mountain (great view!) and then back down on other side. I did it in Tevas but wish I'd worn closed-toe shoes as there was some rock scrambling. I'm sure folks at BEYC can direct you to the trailhead.
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A word about driving on Tortola....they drive on the left side of the road (they ARE Brits), but with cars built for the right side, like ours. Rent a car and you could make a bad mistake...lol if you've been to Pussers. LOL. Roads are narrow, twisting, sometimes quite bumpy, and you never know what might come around the corner towards you. We always feel much better getting a local driver.

There is the Callwood Rum Distillery on the opposite side of Tortola from Road Town, but getting there requires very very long ride around the outer edge of the island or a winding and sometimes bumpy drive up over the top and down. Of the two, we preferred going over the top re expansive views and shorter drive. That opposite side of the island is beautiful, lots of beaches, and Callwood is a working distillery.

BVI is a fav of ours in many ways. If you get to Leverick Bay in Virgin Gorda and are there onite on a Mon-Wed (Dec-May), you might want to go to the Leverick Bay Marina Resort (on the beach) and go to Michael Beans' Happy Arrrr show on the beach, 5-7pm. He's a comic, musician, pirate.....it's a kitschy show from a kitschy pirate stage, but so much fun! (What's the first letter of the pirate Alphabet? Arrrrr! What's the last letter of the pirate alphabet? Rrrrrrr!). Conch blowing contest, some people come in pirate dress (all the Arabella passengers do!), there's a casual menu available (food and drink), but no requirement to order anything.

Michael Beans makes a drum out of a 12-pack beer box (amazing foot talent!) and strums a guitar. He does pass around a tip bottle, but everything he collects goes to a school in Haiti that he built from his years of tips. And his black pirate ship/home visible in the harbor is a hoot. Arabella makes this a regular stop, and it's always such fun.

Enjoy the BVI: there's much to enjoy, and it's super that Sagitta and Vela have that on their skeds!

Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julie. You are right about driving in Tortola. done it before but no need this time. I was think of renting a car/jeep for the day and traveling around Virgin Gorda. I think I can handle that. Plus, I want to see more of VG that the Baths. I will be seeing the Baths I am sure on both Vela trips. I will trip report the whole thing when I return.

[/url]
Island Spice
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna, not sure if you're already gone, but if you see it along the way, pick up a copy of "The Drinking & Eating Guide to the BVI" 4th edition by Julian Putley. This version was released in 2014. It contains colorful information about the best food and drink establishments in the BVI, and includes a ton of freebies and coupons. I think I have the second and third editions, I need to order the fourth.

The new version doesn't appear to be available on Amazon, but you can order it from a fellow BVI fan here: http://www.angelinacat.com/SALES.htm. It's probably available at the airport gift shop on Tortola.

Some of my favorite sailing trips are from the BVI - Flying Cloud, Mandalay and Oasis. We even had a land-only Jammerfest on Jost Van Dyke in 2008 or so. I absolutely can't wait to go back.

I'm working on another post about my recollections of where to go in the BVI. Hopefully I'll get it posted before you are completely offline.

Have fun and say Howdy to Matt and the crew on Sagitta!

Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Island Spice, thanks I read all the posts and will make note to locate this book. Especially if I can save money. ha ha again thanks

[/url]
Island Spice
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to be of service!

I just checked my bookshelf and realized that I have the first three editions, and I just placed an order for the fourth. :D

BTW, by "colorful" I didn't mean literally in color. The author and illustrator have a clever sense of humor, some of it a little more adult in nature. Nothing explicit - perhaps I'd rate them as PG-13. The books include cartoons, limericks, recipes, rhymes, short stories and jokes.

The coupons are at the back of each book, and the bartenders will usually sign or stamp them - so you have a bit of a keepsake from your trip.

Going through them now for a little walk down memory lane!

Saucy Secretary O The Sea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cindy,

Yup, we are already in Tortola ... arrived earlier today via the St Thomas ferry. Looking forward to boarding Sagitta tomorrow afternoon and seeing the sites of the BVI for my/our first time.

Not sure about all those bar stops you mentioned on a different post. I'm not much into consumption and more into sightseeing and snorkeling. But will be writing a trip report when we get home.

Right now I'm enjoying a very nice internet connection here at the hotel.

Saucy
Island Spice
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some caves off Normal Island (I think it's called The Indians) that are supposed to have good snorkeling. Hopefully they will drop off folks at the beach and take you over there for snorkeling. I recall it wasn't great snorkeling off the beach of Norman Island. But there is also a death march, I mean hike up to Spyglass Hill. Some say the island was the inspiration for Treasure Island.

Lunch at Mad Dog's on Virgin Gorda is great after a day on the beach and the hike back up the hill - even without the Pina Colada. There's another nicer restaurant up there - can't recall the name - that has a pool. Nice view.

Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Island Spice, I don't mean to correct you but....... The way I remember it and I just google it to make sure I wasn't remembering wrong. the Indian are a group of about 4 uninhabited island and so named because they look like a Indian Head dress. when I was there last the ship got close and then we either swim over for snorkeling or a zodiac type boat to us close and we jumped off the small boat. The Indians are not close to Norman Island to swim. Norman Island I think has three caves ( maybe more)but does have three. the times I was there again we either swim the whole way or the small boat took us. If you didn't want to do the caves they took you into the beach. Never did the climb to top of spyglass lookout maybe in 6 week when I am there on Vela for two weeks. Another thing the normal person doesn't want to swim from the caves to the beach because it is to long. remember first time on flying cloud there wasn't a Willy T . things change all the time. Island spice time for a return trip to BVI. ha ha

[/url]
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do believe Paul is correct. That's how we recall the Indians and the caves.
Both spots offer great snorkeling. :D

caribbeangirl
Privateer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul and Julie are correct. The caves are at the tip of Norman Island and the Indians are out further by themselves. Tried to chase a turtle one time and I lost. Great snorkeling at both. Mooring balls at the Indians. Can't wait to go back to my original sailing grounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Sagitta Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: