The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VELA Sails!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Vela Sailing Dates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flashappy
Omer Dole

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: VELA Sails!!! Reply with quote

I've been on board for the past 3 weeks with Capt Delyan, sailing the FWI route, and thought you might like to know... this ship definitely SAILS! We made a run to Guadeloupe this week, and sailed the whole way from the southern end of Martinique to Basse Terre - under full sail (no motors), and going 10-14 knots during the night!

At one point we were cruising along (near sunset) with a big Carnival cruise ship going the same direction on our port side. The captain of the Carnival ship called us on the radio & said he had "some people aboard who wanted info on our vessel." Capt Delyan gave them some details about our length, itinerary, etc., and they chatted back & forth for a little while. At one point, he told the Carnival captain... "For your information, we are currently under full sail and moving along at 11 knots." After he signed off with him, Capt Delyan pretended to still be on the radio, and said "and for your information, NONE of our passengers are asking about your vessel!" :D grin

The seas were calmer for my first 2 weeks aboard, and the sailing was AWESOME! This week is a little choppier than before, and things do bounce around a bit... but it tends to be worse when she slows down. Vela seems to be happiest when she's flying through the waves under sail.

I'm really going to miss it when I leave.
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your update on the new girl. Can't wait til my turn!!!!
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to read about Vela.

I remember on the Flying Cloud pulling in Tortola with a cruise ship on port and starboard sides. all the people on the cruise ships were taking pictures of us. No one on the Flying Cloud was taking pictures of then. This was my first windjammer trip. I knew I was on the right track for vacations. I have never done a cruise ship vacation and never would.

Will be sailing Vela for two weeks in BVI 15 -28 May

Paul

Jolly Roger pirate ship mike carib tallship2 hammock :USFlag shark cocktail fishing jacquie

[/url]
caribdreamer
Privateer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds fabulous, Crystal! Thanks for posting!
jimsaint

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Crustal! That really gets me fired-up for my April trip!
604week4&5
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a Jammer you always have stories of encounters with Cruise Ships.. My favorite was on my very first windjammer in the Virgin Islands, the Maverick (similar to Diamant), with Westindiaman Cruises. We were under full sail from Tortola to St Thomas and Capt Jack said we were going to dock at the Cruise Ship Dock under full sail.. We came in and dropped the anchor, ran it out, made it fast and swung 270 degrees, dropped all the sails and docked stern first between 2 Cruise Ships. Needless to say there was much applause and picture taking from the cruise Ship passengers.. A wonderful experience.. Don
Jotum
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Crystal
Good to hear from you and thanks for the great update! Enjoyed seeing and working with Zeke for a couple days prior to the shakedown. We had some heavy seas on that trip and found that the more sails we had up, the smoother the ride was. She is really a true sailing ship and fun to be on.
Ted
cap'nemo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the comments...she SAILS, especially under the watchful eyes/hands of Capt. Delyan, First Mate Patricio, and the rest of the crew. Awesome experience. We arrived early for our trip and happened to be in a water taxi when Vela returned for her prior sail. (NOTE: Iappreciate the irony of posting a picture of her under motor power, but still a beautiful sight worth sharing).
Railmon Mike
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear how Vela likes to strut her stuff under full sail. And the last comment by Capt. Delyan (to the Carnival ship) is hilarious. Good point, though. Tall Ship cruising is the way to see the real Caribbean.
Tazcat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Pirate week 9/3/17 Reply with quote

Cant wait! We will be sailing on Vela for pirate week. She sounds amazing! Looking forward to seeing the Diamante too. Been on Yankee Clipper, Mandalay and Sagitta. May be on Sagitta again in April 2018. Anybody else on for Pirate week??
Tazcat

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Vela sails! Reply with quote

How did you sail for 3 weeks! Back to backs? Thats awesome we did 12 days on Sagitta, loved it.
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're with you, Tazcat, for Pirate Week. But I think we already established that...lol. Me thinks you will love Vela. And Diamant, oh wow she is my favorite IWJ girl. See you soon!
Julie (and Jeff) in San Diego

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> S/V Vela Sailing Dates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: