The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Customs in Miami
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Brethren of the Coast
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vicki with a V

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:58 am    Post subject: Customs in Miami Reply with quote

Looking at flights for my May sail. If I do carry on, is 90 minutes enough time to get through customs and to my next flight?
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

90 minutes might be ok but the distance from customs on my flight to the Grenada gate was a very long walk. Julie (JM San diego ) is a good one to ask.

[/url]
SailorJC

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Miami Entry.. Reply with quote

If you are just using carry-on baggage, it should not be a problem.

I would highly recommend that you sign up for the Global Entry program through https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry

We us this and when we returned through Miami on 27 NOV 2016, it took us less than 10 minuets to go through the Customs & Immigration process. If you don't have this and there are 2 or 3 large international flights arriving at the same time, it will be cutting it very close, even with carry-on baggage only..

The G-E program costs $100 and is good for 8 years. When you arrive you just follow the G-E signs to the kiosk and scan your passport, get the ticket and off you go..

Paul is correct though, it is a long walk from the arrival gate to the processing center and from there back to your departure gate.. They do have trains on the upper level that help..

Jeff,

The other half of Sailor JM (Julie in San Diego)

sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SailorJC said most of it.
I really love GE, but if you decide to get the Global Entry card, note that it takes some time to actually receive your GE card. You need to find a GE or customs location to sign up (see website Jeff gave link to) and then make an appt for an interview, fingerprints scan, photo taken. That process can take about an hour from walk in to walk out, or more. Suggest early-day appt. Then you wait about 8 weeks to get cleared by customs and for the card to arrive. But once you have that card, it is like gold for speedy entry back into US. (Doesn't work in other countries, just US)

And the GE card can be used for TSA Pre-Check, coming/going in US all the time.

IndianaCheeseHead
Privateer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the global entry card can not be used when entering the US by air;
it can only be used when entering by land and sea.

Your Global Entry account number is linked to your passport and that is what you use to enter by air, using the Global entry Kiosks.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, in order to use your global entry trusted traveler number for TSA pre-check within the US, it must be entered into your travel profile for the individual airline frequent flyer program that you are using.

If this is not correct, please correct.

:thanks
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarification
Global Entry IS definitely ok for entering the country by air. That's the only way we return to the US: by air, and we do it sometimes 3x a year. We've had Global Entry for about five years now. You may be confusing Global Entry with the passport card, the little credit-card-sized card with your photo that you can order with your passport. Global Entry is a different animal and cannot be obtained via the passport services and is NOT linked to your passport. And the passport card is not good for the Global Entry kiosks.

Do check the link Jeff sent a few emails back for all the info.

Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julie , I have been putting this off for a few years. Jeff comments made me get off my rear and apply. I did this last night and now awaiting the application to be approved to go to the airport and finish the next set. It is a pain especially having to travel for the final step. getting this is like having
EZ pass travelling on toll roads. I know I will be glad to have it the next time I travel. Hoping it will be sooner and not Dec 2017 (Vela).

[/url]
IndianaCheeseHead
Privateer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailorJM wrote:
Clarification
Global Entry IS definitely ok for entering the country by air. That's the only way we return to the US: by air, and we do it sometimes 3x a year. We've had Global Entry for about five years now. You may be confusing Global Entry with the passport card, the little credit-card-sized card with your photo that you can order with your passport. Global Entry is a different animal and cannot be obtained via the passport services and is NOT linked to your passport. And the passport card is not good for the Global Entry kiosks.

Do check the link Jeff sent a few emails back for all the info.

You called it the Global Entry card, not me.
And, if you recall, you provide the TSA with your passport number when you apply for Global Entry. So it's a part of your Global Entry account and that's how the two are linked. How else would they know that you(and your passport) have been approved for the trusted traveler program.
If you click on the provided link, it clearly indicates how to use your passport at the airport kiosks; also, in the left hand column, there is a link ti the "Global Entry Card" and that states that it is to be used for sea or land entry.
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct that Global Entry is linked to passport and works for coming into US, by air, sea or land. We do have an actual "Global Entry card" and that took 8 weeks to get and required interview, fingerprints and photo...to get us access via our passport to the GE kiosks and through all the TSA pre-check lines. But we also have a "passport card"...separate item, apparently used as a backup should passport become lost while traveling outta country.

Sorry for the confusion.

Tim
Privateer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I use a U.S. passport card?
A U.S. passport card is only valid for sea or land crossings into the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. You cannot use the passport card for air travel.
Reference: travel.state.gov/content/passports/

sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Final clarification: US passport card and Global Entry card are two separate items, but both connected to US passport. Differ in what they allow, where, when and how and what hoops you have to jump through to get each one.
caribbeangirl
Privateer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my passport card for ID instead of my driver's license.
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:41 am    Post subject: Global Entry program Reply with quote

Here is some information on this program. I applied two weeks ago.

1. It takes about 45 minutes to fill out the application and cost 100 dollars.

2. It took 10 days for them to approve the application.

3. Having to schedule the interview is a bigger problem. The interview must be schedules within 30 days. I had two choices Philly Airport or Newark Airport. Philly had nothing available until March 2017. Newark had only 2 time block available 4 weeks from now on the 20th of Jan. One was at 8:45 pm and the other at 9pm.
Last thing I wanted to do was go to the airport at night to get this done but I am having no other choice.

I will send additional update to this once I get the interview completed. Yes this pain. Now I only have to worry about the weather and making the appointment on time. Better be worth it , I hope.. Good luck,

[/url]
Vicki with a V

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have signed up for the program. Filled out my form and paid my $100. Still waiting for my application to be reviewed and approved. Luckily for me Austin is an airport that they do the interviews at, so I won't have to travel for that. Good to know you can tell me what to expect from the interview!!

And....the airline appears to have changed the schedule and the 90 minute layover had become 2 1/2 hours....

Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicky , I have been checking the GOES web site daily to see if there was a change to my application. They did send me a email last night to tell me to check the GOES site. Ill update once I get the interview.

[/url]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Brethren of the Coast All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: