The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Global Entry program card
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Brethren of the Coast
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Global Entry program card Reply with quote

Here is some information on the card. I finally received it in the mail today.

Here is a rough timeline .

1. Went on line (https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry ) and filled out application and paid the $100.00 fee.

2. It took about 10 days for the application to be approved. I was then able to schedule an appointment for the interview. Interview must be within 30 days of the application. There aren't many places in each state for this to be done. I had to travel to Newark Airport at 9PM in the evening for the interview. Don't gave much choice with the selection of time either.

3. When you go for the interview they ask you a few general questions. They take your picture and all ten of your fingerprints. The interview took all of 10-15 minutes.

4. Received the card in the mail 7 days later and then you have to go to the site to activate the card.

The timeframe for the whole progress was about six weeks.

good luck.

[/url]

Last edited by Paul on Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Railmon Mike
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll probaly take many people longer to get to the interview than the interview itself. In a way, it doesn't seem worth the effort for occasional travelers. But considering the convoluted flight schedules of today it might not be a bad idea - especially when going through Customs & Immigration.
Jotum
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be true for us. We would have to drive at least 2 and a half hours each way to get to the nearest airport doing interviews. Normally I do not have much of a wait coming back into some of the southern airports so I will pass on the global entry. We do have the pre-pass which often works out very well getting to the plane.
casteve
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback.

FYI - I think this is the weblink you are looking for:
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry

The one you listed is for a telecom company.

Over deliver
jammerdjc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: +1 for Global Entry Reply with quote

I signed up for this a couple years ago. The cost is $100 and it's good for 5 years. That's just $20 a year. If you travel once a year out of the country is is very worth it. You breeze through customs. Also, you get TSA pre with it, so if you do any domestic travel you'll find your wait times greatly reduced.

For me it was almost a 6 month wait for the interview in the SF Bay Area as it's very popular and SFO is the only place for interviews. I found though that you can keep checking for cancellations. Beware that the system is archaic, so you need to manually walk through the days to see if there are openings. Using the automatic system will just give you the next open never scheduled time. I ended up getting an interview within a week instead of having to wait. If you travel through Dulles (with a layover) or live near there the wait was pretty much non-existing. I know Atlanta has an office inside the terminal for people transiting through there.

I've been very happy with my global.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify, there are a number of places in US where you can go for the interview, but not necessarily in your own city. In Calif, it seems to be San Diego, LA and SF only. And for SD, we had to drive 50 minutes to the US/Mex border from where we are.
casteve
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just updating this thread....I broke down and applied for Global Entry. It took about 2 weeks to get conditional approval and the earliest date it would even list for SFO is 5 weeks out.

Also, you don't have to have the interview within 30 days of getting the conditional approval...you just need to schedule the interview within 30 days. The interview date can be well beyond that.

Over deliver
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bother to get, but it's wonderful to have if you are returning from travel out of the US. It really saves time re betting back into US, re your own customs and immigration lines. And Global Entry card is good for a number of years—and it is acceptable ID for for in-USA TSA PreCheck lines and airline counters. We've just had to renew ours for the first time, and YAY: we could do it online, did so very quickly, and our new cards came in the mail several weeks later.
IndianaCheeseHead
Privateer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen people schedule an interview at an interview airport during a layover.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, I think they take walk-ins if they have open time; a real crapshoot for sure, but might be worth it to drop by and check when you're in the airport.

:D
jammerdjc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 weeks for SFO isn't really that bad compared to what I was quoted a few years ago (it was like 5 months). You can manually look for open slots. The tool was primitive and won't look for the next opening in the middle of the calendar. I looked at each day for the next week and found openings. If I told it to find me the next opening it went to the first opening never booked (i.e. 5 months out). So it could be worth a little manual searching.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
casteve
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in no hurry and would rather do nearly anything else than troll their site for earlier openings. :)

Over deliver
voyager
Navigator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was redirected little plane to this new and improved site whistling

https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/

Hopefully with this card, pegleg "me" won't have those nasty exams to find out that I have a hip replacement that my card I handed them upon entering the queue says so. giggle

The process of TSA security is false hope. As travelers we enter and exit from all over the globe. In January, 2007 I was on a two week free comp. Can you imagine a two week free trip on WJBC and the hoops I jumped trampoline to make it happen, including listening to their tape recording to find their error in pricing from a previous year cruise. I digress.

I was on the "WJBC Mandalay" with 'our Captain Matt' and Daune Southe as First Mate. There was the "very appropriate get off the ship for a day routine between weeks". Three of us two weekers made the trip to West End Tortola and boarded the ferry going to the US Virgin Islands and in particular St. Johns. As I went through customs, The "Golden Arch" did not recognize my hip replacement. Long story short it was not plugged in. Go figure equation Thus began a very long series of ferry cruises throughout the entire US Virgin Islands to return to West End BVI as the Captain of the ferry we were to return on didn't show up. He must have been hired by LIAT.

I will never forget one afternoon's sail on that cruise with Captain Matt. He had all the watertight doors sealed and then heeled Mandalay tallship2 over a few degrees so that the water was lapping the BAR cocktail deck. What a thrill! He can sail me anywhere! I wonder how many knots per hour we were sailing

That said it's worth $20 per year to get that possibility of a shorter time in lines...particularly Miami.

7500 sunrises yet to go make every last one of them count!

Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: new Gobal web site Reply with quote

I went on the TSA Global GOES web site today. I found out that starting 1 Oct 2017 that there is a new web site. I had to log into it and set up a account again. I had to establish a new password too, it wouldn't take the old password. Once I did it had all my information i.e drives license information, passport information and profile information. Might be something to look into if you have a Global card

[/url]
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Voyager posted a link to that site in post before yours. Your advice is very wise. heartbeat
on vacation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: global entry Reply with quote

I love Global Entry! Saved me missing my connection many times! I decided to get it after having missed my plane in Miami due to the long exit line at customs. It was very easy to get, and I guess i was lucky there were 2 local places in Houston I could go for my interview. Just a note, now a lot of the airports have updated the entire customs process and it is much quicker! TSA pre check is the best though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Brethren of the Coast All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: