The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

American Airlines Flight Change
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Brethren of the Coast
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sun&Mangos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: American Airlines Flight Change Reply with quote

I'm sailing Diamant the first week of April 2017 and just happened to double check the flight arrangements I made to and from Grenada. I'm glad I did because I saw that American has changed their flight time from Grenada to Miami. It has always been an early morning departure but my reservation on April 8 had changed to a 3:13 p.m. departure which means there is no chance of making it all the way home in one day. I'm not sure when this change goes into effect but it will be the only daily American departure to Miami. I did not receive a notice by either phone or email regarding this change which was pretty concerning since I will be stranded overnight in Miami. This also means there will be time to kill in Grenada on Saturday morning after disembarking Diamant. Those of you booked on American flight 982 may want to double check your reservations.
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the information. This is a big change. I was thinking of sailing in May for 12 day if there is an opening on Diamant. Just spent sometime looking at flights and this really makes things harder. Only good thing for me is that I have two choices either Philly or Newark. Getting down to Grenada is always the problem

[/url]
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We received an email from AA about a month ago regarding the change. The flight out of Miami has also changed as it leaves at 10:45 a.m. arriving in Grenada at 2:23 p.m.
Sun&Mangos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The changes must take place sometime around April 1 because my March 31 flight from Miami to Grenada has not shifted to the earlier departure time. With these time changes, those of us in the central time zone and westward will have a very tough time making it back and forth to Grenada without overnight layovers both ways whether its on American through Miami or Delta through Atlanta.
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Eeyore always says: Bother! Rolling Eyes
But Miami does have an in-airport hotel* with an Air Margaritaville restaurant just across from the lobby and a Subway a few steps down the way.
Since we have to fly from lower west coast, we always stay the night in that hotel: it's a bit dated, but very clean and prices aren't bad. And
it does have excellent insulation from the planes. And those nearby food options are excellent. Air Margaritaville is always playing Jimmy's music
and running big-screen video of his concerts, the pre-concert pkg lot antics, surfing and more. It works for us since we can't make it in
one day there or back regardess. And if you want room service: it comes from Air Margaritaville! Menu in your room.

(*Miami International Airport Hotel)

Sun&Mangos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sympathy for you west coast folks who can't make the trip in one day has now turned to empathy -- I feel your pain! I already have myself booked at the Miami Airport Hotel and agree that it's a great place for a quick overnight stay, especially when you come in late and leave early. I've stayed there a couple of times before when flights have been canceled or delayed.
Bermuda Onion
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! We will not be able to make it to Grenada in one day in future either down or back if that is a permanent change. We leave Bermuda at 9.05 arrive Miami at 10.55 so will miss the connection there and on the way back our flight from Miami to Bermuda is 6pm so it will probably be too tight.

We were in Grenada three weeks ago and our connections were fine. 3.45pm Miami to GND and 8am GND to Mia which left us plenty of time each way.

Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:21 pm    Post subject: email sent to AA Reply with quote

don't know if it will do any good but I sent a suggestion/email to AA and explain the problem and ask them to look at it. Hopefully someone will see our end of the problem

[/url]
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when do airlines care about us???!!! scream
Jotum
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got to Grenada about an hour late last night. My return to Miami has not changed yet. Beautiful day today and saw Crystal and Scott at the Spiceland grocery.
RumSunFun
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: AA Reply with quote

Yep, cost me another $200.00+ to book overnite at Miami airport. They gave me 45 minutes for customs, immigration, & next gate...No other way home to any other city on that date. (Ohio is home)
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always remember, wherever you are: It's 5 o'clock somewhere. It will help.
cold one

caribbeangirl
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the early arrival into Grenada instead of spending 7 or more hours in Miami.
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the going down change to be not as much as a problem as the return/leaving time. Arriving in Miami late in the evening doesn't give you enough time to check another flight home.

I bet they didn't get input from the travel industry on this change

[/url]
Railmon Mike
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn! Why does getting down & back from the islands have to be such an ordeal? And it seems AA does their part & more in this regard. Even though I had a 6AM departure from Pittsburgh my trip to St. Lucia last year was good - even with a tight layover each way at Atlanta. Thank you Delta Airlines ! ! !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Brethren of the Coast All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: