The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting, using euros when in French West Indies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Brethren of the Coast
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Getting, using euros when in French West Indies Reply with quote

In response to Paul's question in my Vela trip post, here is info regarding our getting and taking euros to French West Indies. Note: not many places in FWI take anything BUT euros. Credit cards work fine, too, but not as safe as a Travelex cash card. For our euros:

Jeff went to travelex.com and found a bank in our area that is a Travelex retailer, where he paid to have euros put onto a Travelex cash card (250 euros for $312 US). He wanted some euros IN cash, but bank was out of them, so we got them in the airport in Dallas on our way to Vela (got 250 euros for $325 US). Most US banks do not offer euros, so in our area, that one bank was it.

We hardly used any of them (cash or card), so he went back to that bank when we got home, with his receipts from both transactions in hand and got it all changed back to US$$ at very little cost. If he hadn't had the receipts it would have cost him $100 to empty the cash card and getting US$$ and another $100 to change the actual euros to US$$. Moral: save your receipt/s!

FYI re Travelex card....you cannot get EC put onto it. But you can get many other currencies, and more than one at a time. Good for those traveling overseas, where Jeff first discovered how great the Travelex cash card can be. Much safer than your regular credit card. And the cash card can be re-filled online at travelex.com and it is re-useable at a later date.

Hope this helps..... :D

Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julie, I understand Bank of America can order euros. what do you think about leaving the unused euro/ec dollars with your crew tip. Ill have to look into the Newark airport currency exchange too. Plus, as a backup there is a currency exchange in Miami Airport. I was thinking about around 250 dollars. I am guessing this should be more than enough. I am assuming I can still use them in the southern part of my trip to the windward Islands too. $250.00 I am sure I can burn up in Bequia and the other islands. Ha ha . thanks

[/url]
caribdreamer
Privateer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will not be able to use Euros outside Martinique, Guadeloupe and their associated smaller islands. (And st Bart's and st Martin further north). Certainly nowhere south of Martinique
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, yes I believe you can get euros at a number of banks, but we wanted euros on a cash card, and Travelex does a cash card. So we needed to find the bank that works with Travelex.

Fiona's info indicates it might not be good to leave crew tip in euros.
Better: change them back or save em for your next trip to the FWI.

Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bank of America will get me euros without and problems. Whatever is left Ill exchange back at Bof A or money exchange at the airport. I am only going to get about 150 -200 anyway. Should be able to spend that sum on beer, t shirt and other things. Ha Ha

[/url]
dellie323
Buccaneer
Buccaneer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad y'all posted this information. I had never heard of Travelex. Will look into it now.

dellie
Saucy Secretary O The Sea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailorJM wrote:

Fiona's info indicates it might not be good to leave crew tip in euros.
Better: change them back or save em for your next trip to the FWI.

Actually, if you are onboard Vela sailing the FWI, it is fine to leave EUROs as part/all of your crew tip or to pay your onboard account for tours. Ops Manager on board can exchange them and/or pay out to the crew in whatever currency is desired. Ship operations need local currency on those islands too, so exchanging for convenience is not problem ... and better than paying a fee to exchange euros back to US$ post cruise.

Saucy
DarknStormy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you happen to bank with Bank of America, they partner with Scotiabank which has locations in St. Lucia and the Caribbean. When I went, I was able to find a location close to my hotel to grab local currency before we set sail. And since they are a partner bank, I didn't get charged any foreign bank fees.
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a member of AAA you can get a "starter" pack of euros.about $100 Us for about 75 Euros which is more than enough for a few souveniors, bottled water and drinks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Brethren of the Coast All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: