The Sea Shanty Forum Index The Sea Shanty

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IRMA, PLUS JOSE info site
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Brethren of the Coast
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: IRMA, PLUS JOSE info site Reply with quote

Irma is now a Cat 5 as of early this am and very very dangerous....predicted to be the worst Atlantic hurricane since 2007. And now, she is being followed by Jose, predicted to be on the same path as Irma......OMG!!

To follow updates from National Hurricane Center:
nhc.noaa.gov.
You can clck on "advisories for Irma," but for really in-depth info:
Click on Archives, click on Tropical Cyclone Advisories, then Hurricane Irma, and click on Discussions. Scroll to bottom and click on the latest time listed to get detailed reports/predictions/warnings

You can do the same for Jose.

And do pray for the islands, the people and the ships!

Saucy Secretary O The Sea

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current spaghetti models for Jose have it staying in the Atlantic far off the coast. Hope they are right.

We've been watching Irma's indecisive path for a couple of days. Last night we were in a direct path if she came in over the Everglades. Today ... it looks like Tampa/St Pete, or the Panhandle, or Miami/Ft Lauderdale and the eastern seaboard. Tomorrow ... who knows. A whole 'nother batch of spaghetti.

We've got "bug out plans" if we need 'em and supplies and provisions (including generator and chain saw) if we don't have to leave. More experience with blizzards than hurricanes, but I've lived thru both.

Saucy
Sandra
Privateer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay safe Donna.
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay safe, yes!
It's usually better to listen to your head, not your heart.

nancydunlap

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:23 pm    Post subject: Island Girls? Reply with quote

Are our Island girls safe, in light of Irma approaching the islands? I think Diamant should be fine around Grenada ... and believe SAGITTA is getting a facelift in the same are? Not sure about Vela??? Prayers for everyone in the storm's path!
Saucy Secretary O The Sea

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Island Girls? Reply with quote

nancydunlap wrote:
Are our Island girls safe, in light of Irma approaching the islands? I think Diamant should be fine around Grenada ... and believe SAGITTA is getting a facelift in the same are? Not sure about Vela??? Prayers for everyone in the storm's path!

Hi Nancy and everyone ... thanks for asking. Actually all 3 ships are stationed in St Georges, Grenada from mid/late August thru October every year. Mostly it is to get them out of the most prevalent storm tracks, but it also puts them in a good spot for their annual spa treatments.

If you look at any of the cruise calendars, you will see your ship of choice either with a cruise scheduled in the Windwards or if no listing, she is in for wet dock/drydock. Like all of us beauty queen wannabe's the Island Girls always like to look their best for guests.

Saucy
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to look at some hurricane history, google 1935 hurricane that hit
fla. This was before storms were named and we had a good weather tracking . The winds were over 224 mph and killed thousands in the Fla Keys. If you didn't know about it, It is a good history . Many sad facts .

[/url]
nancydunlap

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Saucy! Glad to hear our girls are ok down South of most of the hurricane action! And thanks to Paul who is always full of insightful info ... will check out that horrible hurricane in our history. Very sad indeed!
Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nancy, thanks for the nice words.

[/url]
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Island Girls? Reply with quote

Saucy Secretary O The Sea wrote:
[quote=If you look at any of the cruise calendars, you will see your ship of choice either with a cruise scheduled in the Windwards or if no listing, she is in for wet dock/drydock. Like all of us beauty queen wannabe's the Island Girls always like to look their best for guests.

Love it!!!
hug

IndianaCheeseHead
Privateer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Hurricane Rating Scale Reply with quote

Latest Rating scale:

HurricaneRatings.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  486.4 KB
 Viewed:  870 Time(s)

HurricaneRatings.png

sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny/cute!

Alas, I understand anyone going to/coming from Caribbean via Miami on AA is not going to be doing that for some time, per news reports. My sisters' good friends are on St. Croix and tried to get out last week and couldn't, and this morning they were hunkered down in middle of a conference room at their hotel with rest of the guests as Irma roared. Somehow, the husband was able to get cell service and called my bro-in-law. They have no clue when or how they will get home. I have a friend whose sister lives on St. John, and when he heard from her this am, Irma was only 20 miles from her.

This is so bad. Pictures coming in are scary.

Paul
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't see Miami getting back to normal until after Irma and Jose and then it will be backed up for another week. guessing they are stuck for 2 weeks.

Julie, In 1982 I was station in San Diego . I took leave and travelled to Fla. to reenlist a friend of mine in Mayport. The aircontroolers ( remember they all ogt fired ) went on strike. My ship was leaving for Hawaii and I had a heck of a time getting back. I was lucky and it only took me 4 extra days and many flights cancelled. I got the last flight out of fla and it landed me in LA. that was the closest I could get to SD. I than took a small plane to Sd and got there a few hours before the ship left. That was an adventure. didn't want to travel by air for a long time.

[/url]
caribbeangirl
Privateer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope Miami is up by the 28th. We will see what happens this weekend and I may have to find alternate flights. Thank god I took out travel insurance for this trip for just this reason. I wasn't planning on using it!
sailorJM
Diamant Sailor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still hurricane season, so who knows what will follow Jose.
Trip insurance is a must, yes. Altho, it doesn't always do what you hope.
We canceled our trip due to Irma predictions, but we won't get our True Blue 2 nights hotel money back for that (hotel req'd total payment up front when booked and then told us: no refund cuz we canceled within 7 days of date! grrr) since that area escaped Irma's wrath. But so far, AA hasn't posted the change fees to our CC, which they said they would be doing since at that time (last Thur) Irma wasn't even on AA's alerts list. Fingers crossed those AA fees will stay unposted.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Sea Shanty Forum Index -> Brethren of the Coast All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: